Official match thread. Tottenham Hotspur - Newcastle United

tommo

The more I think about it, the more I think we should take them on by trying to play good football. Prove that we're better than them in this respect. Okay, we're no great shakes, but neither are they. We have been lacking any kind of footballing stewardship for virtually a whole season. Now that Shearer and Dowie are here, maybe they are trying to mould us into a fucking football team. Now that would be a novel idea!!! C'mmonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CT

I rarely talk football... this is just one of those rare times.

alex, I guess we'll see what the big man puts out. I'd love us to play some great football and whatnot, but I just think Shearer would stick with experience and grit ahead of youth and promise.

That's what's got us into this mess tbh (not Nolan as such - but you know what I mean).

Fair point.

I'd suggest that it was the aim to play with Grit and Experience, but we missed that target. So while we weren't playing good football, we weren't delivering on the grit and determination stakes either.

I'd point to West Brom as a team who did the opposite. They aimed to play good football and have that deliver them Premiership survival, they missed too.

Right now, against Tottenham I'd play a hard working team which grinds out a few chances for the like of the rapier that is Owen and the Bludgeon that is Carroll.

Next week we'll need to change things up again.

The more I think about it, the more I think we should take them on by trying to play good football. Prove that we're better than them in this respect. Okay, we're no great shakes, but neither are they. We have been lacking any kind of footballing stewardship for virtually a whole season. Now that Shearer and Dowie are here, maybe they are trying to mould us into a fucking football team. Now that would be a novel idea!!! C'mmonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Trouble is, right now, they've got better footballers in their first team and they've got them playing with confidence.

A team of

Harper

Beye Bassong Coloccini Enrique

Gutierrez Barton Guthrie Duff

Owen Martins

All fit and brimming with self belief could out play Tottenham, but with the players we've got, with the mood they're in, we won't.

Trouble is, right now, they've got better footballers in their first team and they've got them playing with confidence.

A team of

Harper

Beye Bassong Coloccini Enrique

Gutierrez Barton Guthrie Duff

Owen Martins

All fit and brimming with self belief could out play Tottenham, but with the players we've got, with the mood they're in, we won't.

Awwww, I was just getting my Viking helmet on and axe oot ready for action. Oh well, wor lass will just have to make do with the electricity guy again tonight.

CT

alex, I guess we'll see what the big man puts out. I'd love us to play some great football and whatnot, but I just think Shearer would stick with experience and grit ahead of youth and promise.

That's what's got us into this mess tbh (not Nolan as such - but you know what I mean).

Fair point.

I'd suggest that it was the aim to play with Grit and Experience, but we missed that target. So while we weren't playing good football, we weren't delivering on the grit and determination stakes either.

I'd point to West Brom as a team who did the opposite. They aimed to play good football and have that deliver them Premiership survival, they missed too.

Right now, against Tottenham I'd play a hard working team which grinds out a few chances for the like of the rapier that is Owen and the Bludgeon that is Carroll.

Next week we'll need to change things up again.

I'd just put it simply and say when we've gone for it we've looked a lot better than the side that tried to ensure we didn't lose. We drew far too many games against sides we were capable of beating with the 'must not lose' approach. Two wins and three losses yields you more points than four or five draws. I can see the logic of what you're saying btw and I'm not entirely against that approach against Spurs. I just think Nolan is absolutely fucking gash so I'd get him out with a decent alternative - which Guthrie is.

As for West Brom, they may not have stayed up but do you really think they'd have done any better if Mowbray had gone against his principles and tried to play in the opposite manner to that which got them into the PL in the first place?

Not at all, I just think he was let down by the guys in the firing line.

I'd agree with you in saying that going for it is the right course of action 9 times out of 10, I just think thisa is one of those times where the way we go for it, shouldn't be pretty football. It should be ugly.

If we had other players available I'd absolutely encourage a more stylish side.

I'd want us to play 4 at the back, three in midfield, Owen just off Viduka and Martins, and aim to beat them within the first half. I just can't see that happening.

I reckon we're having this debate because we both want to agree with each other but there are slight differences.

fwiw I don't think it's going to matter :o

Enrique deffinately if hes fit, he is really quick

as to the team

Harper

Beye Saylor Bassong Enrique

Butt

Spiddy Duff

Viduka

Owen Carrol

I didn't realise Lovenkrands was back in that case

Harper

Beye Saylor Bassong Edgar

Butt

Spiddy Guthrie

Lovenkrands

Owen Carrol

Edited by sandman02uk

CT

To be precise, it's what's turned us from a very good footballing side under Sir Bobby to the shambles we are now. Clueless managers like Souness, Allardyce and Kinnear who think football is all about graft not craft.

Edited by Bombadil

CT

To be precise, it's what's turned us from a very good footballing side under Sir Bobby to the shambles we are now. Clueless managers like Souness, Allardyce and Kinnear who think football is all about graft not craft.

Agreed. You could almost say there are two types of manager, those who try to win and those who just try not to lose.

In the first camp I'd put Robson and Keegan. Not afraid to take a chance, emphasis on pace and creativity.

In the second camp I'd put Souness and Allardyce. Dull pointless football where even if you win you're not excited.

I guess we'll see what kind of manager Shearer turns out to be, although I realise we're a little bit in the shit at the mo'. :o

CT

Agreed. You could almost say there are two types of manager, those who try to win and those who just try not to lose.

In the first camp I'd put Robson and Keegan. Not afraid to take a chance, emphasis on pace and creativity.

In the second camp I'd put Souness and Allardyce. Dull pointless football where even if you win you're not excited.

I guess we'll see what kind of manager Shearer turns out to be, although I realise we're a little bit in the shit at the mo'. :o

Well it was interesting that he was going to try something a bit different (3-4-3), shame about Martins.

Harper

Beye. Staylor. Bassong. Edgar

butt

Lovenkrands. Guthrie

owen

Carol. Viduka

Lovenkrands in central midfield and an unfit Viduka just to keep Jonas out? :o

Guthrie did NOTHING against Stoke and the minute Jonas came on we looked infinitely the better side. Lovenkrands and Guthrie is far far too lightweight a midfield when we're not going to out football the opposition, not with our paucity of confidence. It sucks but we've got to out muscle, out work and out fight Spurs.

Viduka isn't match fit at all.

This is why you should only come out for a fortnight, once a year.

I'd have Guthrie ahead of Nolan any day.

same here.

nolans offered nothing so far.

looks fat, unfit and more importantly, uninterested.

Looks like he doesn't have the legs so he isn't even going to be able to get stuck in. I'd go with Fish's team though (more or less) with Guthrie instead of Nolan.

I'd have Guthrie ahead of Nolan if we're going to be playing football. But that's not what we need the central pairing to be doing. We need them to be spoiling the day. Nolan might be shit, but he's made of sterner stuff than Guthrie. He's got the experience to know when and where to commit the fouls that are unfortunately going to be necessary.

If I had my pick it's be Barton and Butt in the middle.. and that's taking into account I think Butt's legs have left him long long ago.

I understand your reasoning but I've seen nothing to suggest Nolan can even spoil these days. I'd say Guthrie is at least as good at getting stuck in and a better player. Plus, you've picked a side that would at least try to play football in terms of the formation with Duff and Beye on the wings and Jonas in behind the front two. It's bad enough having to play Butt but Nolan as well? I'd rather not.

*tin hat on*

Would it be worth playing Colo instead of Nolan or Butt?

He can pass a ball and has the ability which could work for our midfield unlike playing as a defender in the premier league.

-------------------Harper

Beye Staylor Edgar Bassong

-------------------Colo

-------Spiddy --------------Lovenkrands/duff

----------------- Nolan

Owen Carroll

No chance in hell that will be played,

would give anything for a win.

I have to disagree with that. We've been playing very good football for a couple of months now even when results haven't gone our way.

I have to disagree with that. We've been playing very good football for a couple of months now even when results haven't gone our way.

Spurs play some nice stuff at times tbf.

Aside from our record against them of late, it's hard to find reasons to fancy us here - their form's excellent. Palacios is a great signing for them, just what they needed. Meanwhile we signed Kevin fucking Nolan :icon_lol: Lennon's decent and could easily cause us problems now Enrique's out (no idea who'll play LB, I just hope it's not Ryan Taylor) but he's a player who flatters to deceive for me. Modric is the real dangerman, very clever and talented player who I really like the look of. What a difference it could have made if we'd signed him, instead of getting lumbered with the invisible Gonzales.

We have to improve a lot on last weekend to get something, as we were shite overall. I'd like to see the 4-3-3 tried, but I doubt they'll go with it if Martins isn't available. We've got to create more chances than we did v Chelsea and Stoke or we can't win games. On paper Keegan's midfield of Geremi, Butt and Barton with Owen supporting was hardly bursting with creativity, but he managed to turn them into an effective unit - we created plenty of chances in this fixture last season. Shearer/Dowie need to find something similar out of what we've got. Owen's being completely wasted at the minute.

All that said I'll still be having a small punt on Carroll to score if he starts, as I think his strength and ability in the air could definitely cause them problems at set-pieces. Come on big Andy Carroll :D

*tin hat on*

Would it be worth playing Colo instead of Nolan or Butt?

He can pass a ball and has the ability which could work for our midfield unlike playing as a defender in the premier league.

injured according to .com

I would love to see us stick it up Spurs just to see Danny B go into meltdown on here. Saying that he'd probably do one of his disappearing acts like he usually does when Spurs suffer a setback.

I was on here last time after we lost to you to be honest. You probably didn't notice over the cup final style celebrations.

I would love to see us stick it up Spurs just to see Danny B go into meltdown on here. Saying that he'd probably do one of his disappearing acts like he usually does when Spurs suffer a setback.

I was on here last time after we lost to you to be honest. You probably didn't notice over the cup final style celebrations.

When spurs were floating around the bottom of the league you went missing though, you're a fucking coward and blue collar, fucking admit it or fuck off.

When spurs were floating around the bottom of the league you went missing though, you're a fucking coward and blue collar, fucking admit it AND fuck off.

The funny thing is about the (attempted) cup final jibe is that he's desperate to beat us just so he can gloat on here. The fucking irony of his shit patter man :D

When spurs were floating around the bottom of the league you went missing though

I think you need to talk to Tom about that.