Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

Juat sat through Free Solo, as mentioned above. 

Fuck me! 

Even knowing the outcome, the last 20 minutes is the most tense, terrifying climbing sequence I’ve ever witnessed. :D

As a footnote, Dawn Wall, the account of his mate Tommy Caldwell doing a monster route on El Cap is out on Netflix today. 

If you want a progressive splurge on Valley Big Wall climbing I’d go;

Valley Uprising (Netflix)

Dawn Wall ( Netflix)

Free Solo (Nat Geo). 

• Thanks 1

On 03/03/2019 at 20:26, Monkeys Fist said:

Free Solo, the documentary about Alex Honnold climbing El Cap without ropes, is showing on Nat Geo +1 at 9pm tonight. 

Listened to Lance Armstrongs poddy with him on.  Then watched it (the docu).  Fucking amazing.

12 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Fuck me! 

Even knowing the outcome, the last 20 minutes is the most tense, terrifying climbing sequence I’ve ever witnessed. :D

As a footnote, Dawn Wall, the account of his mate Tommy Caldwell doing a monster route on El Cap is out on Netflix today. 

Dawn Wall ( Netflix)

Free Solo (Nat Geo). 

Cheers, will give the Netflix ones a watch. 

On a slightly tangential note, I hear Tom Ballard is missing feared dead on Nanga Parbat, near K2. The significance of this is his mum was Alison Hargreaves. 

Edited by Renton

@wykikitoon

It’s mental. 

If you’ve never climbed to might struggle to understand the outrageous nature of just how fucking hard this bloke is climbing on this route. 

The most difficult part of a route is called the crux, it’s usually a sequence of 3-4 moves or so, and depending on how difficult these moves are, combined with the overall difficulty and safety of the route, you’ll get an overall grade for the route. 

The crux of this route is a sequence known as the “Boulder Problem”. 

If it were an actual boulder problem, on a boulder, on the ground, with nice crash mats all around, there’s not that many people in the world that could actuallly do it, it’s near the top end of what’s currently possible. 

As I said , if it were on a nice boulder somewhere… this bloke does it 2,500 feet up a vertical cliff, with no rope. 

It’s beyond my comprehension the level of mental control he has to pull this off, never mind the physical ability. 

Fucking incredible. 

Right at the end of the film, there’s a shot of Honnold standing on the top of El Cap, and the camera then pans out to show the scale of the cliff… mind-blowing. 

Tore through The Marvellous Mrs Maisel on Amazon. Highly recommended, brilliant characters and very funny. And she gets her chebs out early doors. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Renton said:

Cheers, will give the Netflix ones a watch. 

On a slightly tangential note, I hear Tom Ballard is missing feared dead on Nanga Parbat, near K2. The significance of this is his mum was Alison Hargreaves. 

If you can find Nat Geo channel (129 on sky), it’s on again tonight at 9pm. 

Needs more tits, though :D

6 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

If you can find Nat Geo channel (129 on sky), it’s on again tonight at 9pm. 

Needs more tits, though :D

Cheetrs, think I've got national geographic, will have a look. 

Incidentally, climbing is now an Olympic event I notice, about time. They're thinking about making break dancing an Olympic event ffs! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Cheetrs, think I've got national geographic, will have a look. 

Incidentally, climbing is now an Olympic event I notice, about time. They're thinking about making break dancing an Olympic event ffs! :rolleyes:

Gloom will be following the break dancing news closely.

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Tore through The Marvellous Mrs Maisel on Amazon. Highly recommended, brilliant characters and very funny. And she gets her chebs out early doors. 

Just finished season 1. Really enjoyed it. 

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Just finished season 1. Really enjoyed it. 

it's class isn't it. i couldn't tell you who my favourite character is, they're all mint

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

it's class isn't it. i couldn't tell you who my favourite character is, they're all mint

Yeah, there’s lots of good characters but I think the lass who plays Mrs. Maisel makes it work because of the bits where she’s doing her stand up routine being convincing. Obviously a lot of that is down to the writing but she plays it really well. The relationship between her and her manager is good too. All the family stuff is funny too without seeming too clichéd. The  setting of New York in that era with the backdrop of it being a great time for great jazz music all helps too 

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Yeah, there’s lots of good characters but I think the lass who plays Mrs. Maisel makes it work because of the bits where she’s doing her stand up routine being convincing. Obviously a lot of that is down to the writing but she plays it really well. The relationship between her and her manager is good too. All the family stuff is funny too without seeming too clichéd. The  setting of New York in that era with the backdrop of it being a great time for great jazz music all helps too 

Yeah, her manager Suzie has some class lines. Her dad is mint too. I was inspired to read more about Lenny Bruce off the back of it too

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I've been wondering what to watch over the next few days while the wife is away, I think you've both sold me on it.

Could be worth saving it as it’s a decent one to watch with the wife tbf. When Mrs G goes away with work I’m usually knee deep in sci-fi, horrors and grot

I can’t watch good shows with the wife because I tend to skip forward and watch without her. So it’s only really middle of the road stuff we watch together, currently Grace and Frankie which is okay for easy viewing for not one for binging.

17 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Fuck me! 

Dawn Wall ( Netflix)

Free Solo (Nat Geo). 

Not knowing the ending and having no idea about climbing, it was without doubt the most tense sequence I've ever seen.  Seeing it in the cinema made the scale totally terrifying.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Fuck me! 

Just watched this this afternoon and don’t think I’ve EVER had such emotions watching TV.

Never really watched any climbing films and just could not believe the minuteness of the fragments of rock that were between him and death. I expected a good handful at least but relying on thumbs :lol:

How he did that Karate thing and how he kept super human stamina and concentration for nearly four hours is unbelievable.

Felt quite sorry for the film crew as well as you could see they were expecting tragedy.

Simply superb.