Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

not sure if this has been posted before or is even a recommendation to be honest, perhaps more some observations?!

anyway, here goes....

took the free trail of amazon prime last night to watch the match and afterwards watched 'lee duffy, the whole of the moon'

I'd never even heard of this fucker until very recently during a random conversation with a smoggie who delighted in telling me duffy would've single handedly took out every hardman in newcastle with one punch!

I think duffy's rise to prominence must've tied in with me leaving the north east in'89, so were his spats with viv graham common knowledge along with his involvement with other members of the newcastle underworld?

the maker of the documentary is still very much in love with duffy so it's not particularly balanced as by all accounts duffy was an utter cunt and no big loss to the world. however if you've got an hour to spare and fancy regressing to being 14 years old and impressed by toughies it was a strangely fascinating watch in how such a relatively young kid could become so notorious, so quickly over such a large area.

oh and one other thing....

our very own steve wraith....

I have no recollection of wraith on any of the doors down the bigg market etc, again this might be an era thing. but also as somebody who went to quite a lot of newcastle games, home and away for decades I have no recollection of wraith at matches either. I'm in no way professing to know everybody who goes/went to matches, but faces, especially regulars at away games did become familiar, again I don't recall wraith from the 80s, is his nufc involvement relatively recent?

Edited by thebrokendoll

Wraith is a total gobshite who has fabricated an entire backstory of pub bouncing and being pally with hard men to enhance his reputation as a boxing promoter IIRC. I think his extent of being friendly with The Krays was writing letters to one of them in prison ( :lol:) because his parents ran a post office and had his P.O. Box or whatever they use. Reading Amazon reviews of his “books” is very insightful 

• Haha 2

I once saw Wraith on the doors at the Goose in the Garden about 5 mins before kickoff, several years back. Which doesn’t particularly enhance his reputation as a hard man or as being ever present at matches. 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Alex said:

I once saw Wraith on the doors at the Goose in the Garden about 5 mins before kickoff, several years back. Which doesn’t particularly enhance his reputation as a hard man or as being ever present at matches. 

after reading your post and re-reading mine I've decided 'ever present at matches' was inadvertently very ugly mackems like.

I've edited my post to 'as somebody who went to quite a lot of matches' which sounds a lot less shite.

apologies to all and sundry!

😀

Edited by thebrokendoll
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/10/2020 at 05:31, Gemmill said:

Somebody Feed Phil is back. Will the fucking idiots of Toontastic finally wake up to this sleeper classic?!

Been watching this recently. 

It's a good tonic for the real world. Got a bit annoyed at the London episode though. Yes, Dishoom, Dukes and Borough Market amazing, but the rest... meh.

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Gutted that The Fish's comedy account hasn't gotten its own show.

His “Bravado” account has just been commissioned for a run on MTV If it’s any consolation 

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

If you google Dave Iplayer you are first given the Dave UK online player. Maybe add BBC next time.

Will do. You must have got it mixed up with that other iplayer