Jump to content

Recommend me something to watch!


Besty
 Share

Recommended Posts

I liked Solo. 

 

A standalone film about Han Solo where the main actor pulls off a very solid Harrison Ford as Han Solo impression. Nothing not to like. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought Rogue One was pretty decent, probably the best thing they've put out in recent decades. Andor runs it close.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has everyone watched Atlanta? It's ostensibly a half hour comedy show about a rapper and his management team in Atlanta. 

 

But as you go through the seasons they get more and more ambitious and it turns into social commentary, but always funny. 

 

I've just watched the episode where it's a mockumentary about, after the Rodney King riots, Disney appoints a black CEO who wants to make a goofy movie. He's convinced Goofy is a black bloke and he wants to tell the story of the black man in America through Goofy's eyes. 

 

Anyway strong recommend for the whole thing. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/05/2024 at 14:24, Gemmill said:

I liked Solo. 

 

A standalone film about Han Solo where the main actor pulls off a very solid Harrison Ford as Han Solo impression. Nothing not to like. 

Rogue One is the best of the new crop of Star Wars movies by some distance I’d say, although I agree that Solo was good fun and didn’t deserve the panning it apparently got. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/05/2024 at 14:14, The Fish said:

 

I liked Mandalorian and the Rosario Dawson one to be honest. 

 

Thought the new trilogy was close to being good, but at every fork in the road they chose the wrong one. But then again, I'm not the target audience. I'm struggling to think of any good sci-fi, hard or soft, that has come out in ages. 

 

Moon? Does the Martian count? But so much is just rehashing original pieces and that's the biggest problem with the latest trilogy, certainly the first of those three.

 

 

 

Recent and recent-ish - 3Body Problem, The Expanse.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Silo is good too. 

 Not seen that, cheers (Fallout was great as well)

 

P.S. second season of Mayor of Kingstown just out

Edited by Toonpack
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Nice one! Season 3 though innit? 

 

And yes Fallout was really good. 

 

Aye, my senility kicked in, Season 3

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Loved Silo but partly cos I have a thing for Rebecca Ferguson, but wasn't sure if we're classing it as Sci Fi really. I mean it is but not space travelling or anything, more dystopian. Which opens the door to loads of decent stuff like the Last of us. Will binge watch Fallout when I renew my Prime subscription. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, and the rings of power which I personally liked because sad as I am, I was never sad enough to read the Silmarillion and whinge it was breaking Tolkein canon. 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Renton said:

Loved Silo but partly cos I have a thing for Rebecca Ferguson, but wasn't sure if we're classing it as Sci Fi really. I mean it is but not space travelling or anything, more dystopian. Which opens the door to loads of decent stuff like the Last of us. Will binge watch Fallout when I renew my Prime subscription. 


All of this. I love Rebecca Ferguson but Silo is also top notch. Severance is fantastic on Apple TV as well. 
 

fallout has been my fav show of 2024.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Has everyone watched Atlanta? It's ostensibly a half hour comedy show about a rapper and his management team in Atlanta. 

 

But as you go through the seasons they get more and more ambitious and it turns into social commentary, but always funny. 

 

I've just watched the episode where it's a mockumentary about, after the Rodney King riots, Disney appoints a black CEO who wants to make a goofy movie. He's convinced Goofy is a black bloke and he wants to tell the story of the black man in America through Goofy's eyes. 

 

Anyway strong recommend for the whole thing. 

Atlanta is absolute quality. Darius is one of the greatest characters ever seen on TV

 

Started 3 body problem on your recommendation 3 eps in and I'm hooked

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Renton said:

Yeah, and the rings of power which I personally liked because sad as I am, I was never sad enough to read the Silmarillion and whinge it was breaking Tolkein canon. 👍

 

As a Tolkien fanboy I'm still not over how bad it was. Forget the adaptation, the actors/casting were generally terrible, more out of a teen movie than a supposed epic fantasy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/05/2024 at 21:26, Renton said:

partly cos I have a thing for Rebecca Ferguson

According to Wiki, her English mam helped ABBA translate the lyrics for the album Waterloo from Swedish to English. 
She’s on the cover of their next album, to the left of Benny

ABBA_-_ABBA_(1975,_Original_Polar_LP).jp

 

Speaking of actresses called Rebecca who we “admire”…Rebecca Hall. 
Rebecca-Hall-2-007.jpg?width=465&dpr=1&s


Giddup! 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

The 3 body problem. Think we talked recently about hard and soft Sci Fi. This was probably supposed to be in the former category, but was riddled with so many errors and logical loopholes it made no sense at all. Enjoyed it enough but not sure I want to invest in series 2, especially given the track record of the writers on finishing previous series. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.