Players we could (realistically) sign?

smoggeordie

I think out of all the Championship sides we must be one of most attractive sides to join - if not the most attractive. I'm not expecting us to buy the best players in the world, but some mentioned here are just too depressing to contemplate. Maybe our situation hasn't fully kicked in yet, but I'm sure we can do better than the likes of Marlon King.

Some of the players in this thread I think would be great/good signings who are also possible - Brunt, Boyd, Nugent, Delph for example - but others (Riordan, Ferguson) would be horrible in my opinion.

I don't rate Nugent at all. There was a big load of hype around him when he was at North End but he hasn't really done anything at all since he moved to Pompey and he has never really looked too good.

I wasn't sure when I said him. I remember him being pretty amazing at Preston but he obviously hasn't set the Premiership alive. He did get rubbished after about four games or something, didn't he? Recently he's been pretty solid for them.

I think he probably just needs some confidence again. Put him in the Championship for a season and see what he's like when (very presumptuous, I know) he comes back up with us.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, is this the transfer window where we get linked to every cast-off from the Premiership, every youngster from The Championship, every decent player in the SPL and a few unknown foreigners?

Just like last season :wub:

Ive watched peterborough quite alot over the past few years and i think Boyd could really be worth a shot although i think he would come at a high price. Not sure how decent he is but Lee Croft might be worth a punt. He always looked decent when i saw him play for Norwich but perhaps thats just because the rest were awful, also i believe he is now out of contract.

Ive watched peterborough quite alot over the past few years and i think Boyd could really be worth a shot although i think he would come at a high price. Not sure how decent he is but Lee Croft might be worth a punt. He always looked decent when i saw him play for Norwich but perhaps thats just because the rest were awful, also i believe he is now out of contract.

Good call, Boyd would deffo be worth a punt, could try and get him and McLean at the same time.

Distin apparently says his Portsmouth future is in doubt. I'd have him back here like.... (unlikely I know).

Good call, Boyd would deffo be worth a punt, could try and get him and McLean at the same time.

Im not too sure about Maclean, i really think he would get found out by a better calibre of defender. When he/Peterborough were in League 2 i know the players liked him being in the team as he made things happen just because of his work rate alone, technically he was quite poor. He seems a hard worker so perhaps he has worked on his touch but i think we need more than just a hard worker.

Brunt,

Lambert (Bristol R),

An Arsenal youngster is worth a shout,

Re-signing Chopra?

Kris Commons,

Vaz Te & Sturridge are out of contract this summer aswell, worth a punt?

& we need another CB (or two).

Shane Long from Reading

Fuck right off. He's absolutely wank.

The transfer would surely please you then Brock? :wub:

Shane Long from Reading

Fuck right off. He's absolutely wank.

Is he?

Who's the boy wonder they've got then? Played in one of the play off matches?

He's 23 now I think, so hardly a boy anymore. He's always been shit. No skill, can't shoot, can't pass, can't head it. Can't do anything other than run about, and even then he's neither quick nor agile. Just struts around the place and swoons the 13-year old female fanbase he attracts. 9 goals in 42 games last season, a fair few as a starter. Not good enough at this level. He only plays reasonably well against Derby. Scored 5 past them in 3 games iirc.

There are a few Reading players I'd take mind:

Jem Karacan - young midfielder, just broke into the first team this season. Looks like a good prospect. Can actually pass the ball.

Marek Matejovsky - very creative attacking midfielder. I think paired up with a player like Butt (or dare I say Nolan), he could be quite effective. Can hit goals from way out too. Scored an absolute wonder goal against Liverpool. Czech international too. Wasted at Reading tbh.

David Mooney (might have been the boy wonder you meant Sammy) - I haven't seen much of him, but he's been tipped to come good. Said to be even better than Doyle.

Andre Bikey - If Colo, Bassong and Crapaca all leave then we need to sign CBs desperately. I rate this guy highly, he's not a dirty player, and whilst he can get a little hot-headed, the reputation is a little unfair (totally out of order against Burnley mind). I've praised him before, really strong, good in the air and he's really improved as a defensive player since he's been given extended roles in the first team. Really versatile as well, which would add depth.

I'd be happy if Newcastle signed any of the above, but if I saw Shane Long in a Newcastle shirt, I'd die inside. He's absolute pap.

It's funny, on Sunday I was fed up with footy, didn't want to hear about it any more nor speak to anyone about it - now I find myself actually impatient to see how things are going to pan out during the course of the summer and reasonably excited about playing next season... just doesn't make sense :wub: