Aldi - Britain's Best Supermarket

Happy Face

Budget food store Aldi has been crowned the best supermarket in Britain by the consumer organisation Which?.

Aldi beat Lidl and Waitrose to the title at the Which.co.uk consumer champion awards in London today. Founded by brothers Karl and Theo Albrecht (Aldi stands for Albrecht Discount), Aldi is a budget grocer, selling pineapples for 49p, Danish blue cheese for 99p and a selection of wines for £2.99.

Aldi currently has 403 stores and 3 per cent of the UK grocery market. Its rapid expansion, along with that of its fellow Continental discounters Lidl and Netto, is beginning to challenge the big British supermarket groups Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury and Morrisons.

In other awards, John Lewis was named best retailer, Co-operative Bank the best bank and BMW best carmaker. The BBC's iPlayer won the innovation award.

Award winners

Best Audio Visual Brand: Canon

Best Domestic Appliance Brand: Bosch

Best Carmaker: BMW

Best Financial Services Provider: Co-operative Bank

Best High Street Retailer: John Lewis

Which? Innovation Award: BBC iplayer

Best Online Retailer: play.com

Best Supermarket: Aldi

The Good Food Guide Restaurant of the Year: Ronnies, Thornbury

Which? Local Business of the Year: Joseph Morris Butchers, Leicestershire

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-...et-1700752.html

Nice one Aldi. Get all my christmas shopping there.

Never rated the place to be honest. Same as Netto and Lidl, cheap crap, you get what you pay for.

I used to think that an all, but it's not true, the foodstuffs are excellent quality, the cooked meats (ham, salami etc) are particularly good.

Just went there for the first time this week, decent.

Whatever :aye:

Tbh I never went, wor lass did.

I'm usually an Asda man myself, the closest Aldi is down wallsend way I think.

P.S They have mars bars and bottled water on special, any good to you.....cock sucker?

Edited by Wacky Jnr

:aye:

Aldi is great. There's no point expecting to be able to do your weekly shop there, but what they do well (and cheap), they do very well (and cheap).

As long as you are strictly a meat and two veg kind of guy it's fine (no pun intended). It's when you want something a little more exotic that it falls down.

The herbs and spice collection for instance is dreadful, there is no fresh fish, the fruit and veg is like stepping back to the 80's (in that it's not pumped full of chemicals so that it lasts an eternity) and can be hit and miss.

No delivery = no use to me. I get Tesco or Sainsbury delivered once a week and I will NEVER again suffer a Big Shop.

I don't like internet food shopping, it gives you no quality control. The stuff comes wrapped up in about a million bags, there is always an item missing and replaced with something more expensive and I always get the impression the delivery driver is after a tip! I'm sorry are you a waiter, taxi driver or hairdresser? No, then fuck off out of my house!!

I don't even let them past the doorstep. :aye:

Any time we have a problem with use by dates being close to delivery, my lass rings and gets the item refunded. Never really had much bother with it though and it's far preferable to spending time with the general public in the supermarket.

• 3 weeks later...
Another week - another two awards!

Aldi - Winner of The Grocer Gold Awards 'The Grocer of the Year' and 'Discounter of the Year'

For the second week running, Aldi has beaten tough competition. This time, to scoop an accolade of awards at the grocery retail sector's equivalent of the Oscars, The Grocer Gold Awards.

Aldi won 'The Grocer of the Year' and 'Discounter of the Year' awards during the ceremony held at the Dorchester in London. Aldi was praised for its approach to providing high quality products at low prices.

The awards cap a successful week for Aldi, following it being named Best Supermarket at last week's Which? Awards and winning seven awards for its frozen food range at the British Frozen Food Federation Awards on Thursday 11th June.

The Grocer Gold Awards recognise the best in the grocery retail sector for service, initiative and commitment. Paul Foley, Group Managing Director of Aldi UK and Ireland, commented: "Winning the awards is testament to our efficient ways of working, rigorous product development and testing, close working supplier relations and selling products in a customer-focused way. This is the Aldi way and enables us to provide products of brand-like quality, but at much more affordable prices."

He concluded: "The awards are hotly contested and it's a real honour to win. Reputable endorsements such as these can only help us show consumers that they'll like the quality of our products just as much as the keen prices."

http://www.thegrocergoldawards.co.uk/page/2009_winners.html

Are you paid to market Aldi?

:o

An Aldi voucher! Now there's a gift worth receiving.

If you do work there then "Clowns to left of me, jokers to the right, here i am. Stuck in the Lidl with you" would be a great competitive advertising campaign.

Are you paid to market Aldi?

:o

An Aldi voucher! Now there's a gift worth receiving.

;)

Seriously though. I like to recommend good service providers. Obviously you should use local traders as much as you possibly can, but if you really must use a supermarket Aldi is the cheapest, highest quality, most ethical choice....

Ethics scores....

Aldi 8

Costcutter 8

Co-op 7.5

Waitrose 7.5

Booths 7

Farmfoods 7

Londis 7

Budgens 6.5

Netto 6

Lidl 5.5

Marks & Spencer 5

Morrisons 4.5

Iceland 4

Kwiksave 4

Somerfield 4

Sainsbury's 3.5

Tesco 2

Asda 1.5

Note: Marks are out of 20 and five to nine is deemed poor.

http://money.uk.msn.com/guides/ethical-mon...umentid=4752097

Edited by Happy Face

I'd love to be able to survive on a lercal butcher, baker, grocer etc. but it's not practical. Espcially given the advent of shop 'n' drop.