Oguchi Onyewu

smoggeordie

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alex

I thought he looked like a canny defender although I'd have thought he was more suited to playing in England as he's a big strong lad but not great with the ball at his feet, which will be problematic in Italy. He'd have been a canny bit better bet than most of the centre-backs we've signed since. Not that that is saying a great deal.

Guest alex
Milan are a shadow of the club they used to be. In fact Italian football in general is

World Champions tbf. Agree about Milan and Serie A though perhaps having all the best players in the world isn't great for the national team. As shown by England and er, Spain, obviously ;)

I think theres something about English football that foreign CBs just cant handle. When you look at the likes of Boumsong, Gooch, Roque Junior etc. they always seem to be classed as brilliant defenders in other countries, yet are seen as bags of shite over here.

Maybe its just the physicality of the game? I wonder if Rio, Terry etc. would find it easier playing in Italy or Spain or if they would be technically outclassed?

Guest alex
I think theres something about English football that foreign CBs just cant handle. When you look at the likes of Boumsong, Gooch, Roque Junior etc. they always seem to be classed as brilliant defenders in other countries, yet are seen as bags of shite over here.

Maybe its just the physicality of the game? I wonder if Rio, Terry etc. would find it easier playing in Italy or Spain or if they would be technically outclassed?

I don't think Gooch couldn't handle it tbf. Just because Roeder didn't rate him is hardly a definitive judgement, is it? I think it obviously suits foreigners who've come from places like Scandinavia and so on where the game is more physical but there's loads of foreign CBs who've done well here. We've even had a few.

Suppose. The best defender ive ever seen at the club in my life is Woodgate, by a country mile

Same here, but it's not exactly the most difficult praise to win. Thinking about the ones he's had to be compared to since I've been watching:

-Albert

-Peacock

-Dabizas

-Howey

-Goma

-Dumas

-Hughes

-O'Brien

-Distin (played mainly as a left back for us though)

-Caldwell

-Boumsong

-Taylor

-Bassong

-Collocini

The sad thing was, I knew when Woodgate left that I'd struggle to see another defender play for us who was as good.

Guest alex
What's sadder is that gooch anf faye are considered any good. Shows the lack of quality that some would settle for these days. It's like being in the eighties again.

You're exaggerating a fair bit there imo. Both are good, solid central defenders. Nowt special, but then again, no one is saying they are.