Hughton and Calderwood

Scottish Mag

CHRIS Hughton is braced for an extended spell in charge of Newcastle United with owner Mike Ashley's £100m price tag no nearer being met.

And the club's beleaguered players have been told there is every chance Hughton and fellow coach Colin Calderwood will be in the dugout on the opening day of the season.

The hope had been that United would be in different hands by the time they take on West Bromwich Albion at The Hawthorns on August 8.

However, the offers on the table, including that of Steve McMahon's Singapore-based Profitable Group, fall well short of Ashley's valuation, and he and managing Derek Llambias are understood to be willing to sit it out rather than sell for less than they feel the club is worth.

Meanwhile, the opening day of the campaign draws ever closer, with no one having come in or out, and the necessary rebuilding of the squad on hold.

"The players have obviously been asking questions behind the scenes about just what on earth is going on with the takeover," said a source at the club.

"Like everybody else, they have been told it is a work in progress, but obviously a lot of them are concerned that the season is only just around the corner.

"They have also been told that Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood are more than likely to be in charge for the first few games of the season."

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can only hope there's little truth in this although I actually do tend to believe the 'club source' on this occasion, given the news is bad.

Hate to say it but its confirmation of my suspicions-the whole thing has been bullshit - diversionary tactic to avoid having to back a proper manager - wouldn't surprise me if they asked shearer to be manager a week after the window shuts and then make a hue and cry when he turns them down.

What happened to the confirmed bids?, the malaysians? the end of the fucking week?

They couldn't lie in bed straight fuckin con artists

facepalm.jpg
how-about-no-bear.jpg
128673566072643685.jpg

:rolleyes:

Hate to say it but its confirmation of my suspicions-the whole thing has been bullshit - diversionary tactic to avoid having to back a proper manager - wouldn't surprise me if they asked shearer to be manager a week after the window shuts and then make a hue and cry when he turns them down.

What happened to the confirmed bids?, the malaysians? the end of the fucking week?

They couldn't lie in bed straight fuckin con artists

Put it up for sale at £100M, if someone buys, great, if they don't, well, unfortunately we'll just have to plod on, shame we didn't have time to appoint a manager, buy and sell players, you know, the stuff normal clubs do, oh well, at least we saved some cash and being put on the spot from A Shearer.

What a complete and utter shambles.

I wonder who they have up their sleeve when we're staring down the barrel of a second consecutive relegation in 9 months time.

Guest Stevie

Well nobody wants Hughton and the Calderwood in charge, they are aware of that, and as last season proved changing managers in a season results in shambolic showings in the league. However, look at it from Hughton's point of view, he's been reasonably respected in the game, and was the best coach Jol said he'd worked with, but that's what he is a coach. It's not Hughton's fault he's been put in a position which at best he must be finding uncomfortable, he's just getting his head down and getting on with it with dignity and decorum. He might not even be a good communicator, or motivator, what do you want him to do leave the club and go on the dole? He is without doubt in my mind (certainly in the attitude many fans show towards him), an unsupported victim in this whole scenario. FWIW I hope Shearer keeps him as a coach.

Edited by Stevie

if it’s true, no buyers then, so a fire sale of players towards the end of August – what a mess.

This. He will need to sell players simply to pay the thin squad to limp along and hope for the best. The man is a contemptible fool, he has never grasped the fact that no investment means perpetual devaluation of the club. He is on a mission to finish us whether he realises it or not.

Mid table will be a result for us till he goes.

Edited by trophyshy

Well nobody wants Hughton and the Calderwood in charge, they are aware of that, and as last season proved changing managers in a season results in shambolic showings in the league. However, look at it from Hughton's point of view, he's been reasonably respected in the game, and was the best coach Jol said he'd worked with, but that's what he is a coach. It's not Hughton's fault he's been put in a position which at best he must be finding uncomfortable, he's just getting his head down and getting on with it with dignity and decorum. He might not even be a good communicator, or motivator, what do you want him to do leave the club and go on the dole? He is without doubt in my mind (certainly in the attitude many fans show towards him), an unsupported victim in this whole scenario. FWIW I hope Shearer keeps him as a coach.

Hughton seems a good lad and as you say is just getting his head down and making a good fist of it - don't reckon anybody could direct their ire towards either of them

just holding out for more money.

If only it were that straightforward. No one will pay anywhere near what they're asking imo.

It makes you wonder how long ashley is prepared to throw good money after bad until he finally cuts his losses. Despite comments on here, I'm sure he's not stupid so he surely must have some plan in place other than asset stripping. I hope anyway.

the only evidence of a plan is evidence of a plan to destroy us. Given this is too unbeleivable I reckon its largely been made up on the spot, in bars, after a few Manhattans or while snorting illicits off tits.

Edited by trophyshy

That's what it would appear but it can't be his aim unless he has money to burn and he doesn't.

It can't be that there are no bids for the players, cause rumour has it there are at least 3 offers on the table for Bassong, Martins and Smith. And I read somewhere today a bid for Beye is imminent.

It makes you wonder how long ashley is prepared to throw good money after bad until he finally cuts his losses. Despite comments on here, I'm sure he's not stupid so he surely must have some plan in place other than asset stripping. I hope anyway.

You can point to his dubious successes in other fields as much as you like but it would appear to mean nothing in terms of having a clue about running a football club. Arguing about just how stupid he is is irrelevent but he's obviously well out of his depth and doesn't seem to be able to learn from the mistakes he's made. I'm not even sure he has a plan (or a plan b, now plan a has failed). Is the club even for sale (at a realistic price)? What's he going to do if he's still owner come January? Etc., etc.....

Edited by alex