Callum Davenport and his mother stabbed at home

Jimbo

BREAKING NEWS4:14pm UK, Saturday August 22, 2009

West Ham footballer Calum Davenport and his mother are both in a "serious condition" after being stabbed at their family home.

The 26-year-old defender is undergoing surgery on both legs after being set upon in the Bedford property late last night.

West Ham released a statement on the stabbing which read: "West Ham United can confirm that Calum Davenport was being treated in hospital on Saturday afternoon after an incident late on Friday night.

"The 26-year-old defender and his mum both suffered stab wounds at home in Bedford.

"His mum is recovering while Calum underwent surgery this morning and his injuries were described as serious by doctors.

"The club's medical team are in contact with hospital staff.

"The thoughts of everyone at West Ham are with Calum and his family and, due to the ongoing police investigation, no further information will be released at this time."

The former England Under-21 international joined the Hammers in the summer for £3m.

Somebody's 'boys' gone round to teach him a lesson? Does the kid gamble or come from a bad background or something?

Still shitty none the less.

He does alod of that underground poker stuff with a few others, i'm guessing alot of the other players could be quite nasty.

• 2 months later...

Well this story's taken a bit of a twist - sounds like someone went to teach Callum a lesson:

West Ham United footballer Calum Davenport has been charged with assault following an incident in which he was stabbed in both legs in Bedfordshire.

The former Coventry and Spurs star was stabbed in the legs in an incident at his mother's home in Kempston in September this year.

The 26-year-old spent six days in intensive care in Bedford Hospital following the incident.

He has been charged with assault causing actual bodily harm on a woman.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8330403.stm

Well this story's taken a bit of a twist - sounds like someone went to teach Callum a lesson:

West Ham United footballer Calum Davenport has been charged with assault following an incident in which he was stabbed in both legs in Bedfordshire.

The former Coventry and Spurs star was stabbed in the legs in an incident at his mother's home in Kempston in September this year.

The 26-year-old spent six days in intensive care in Bedford Hospital following the incident.

He has been charged with assault causing actual bodily harm on a woman.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8330403.stm

You missed a bit.

In a statement issued by his PR company, Mr Davenport said: "I am deeply shocked and disappointed at the decision that has been made to charge me with assault.

"I deny any wrong doing and will plead not guilty. For legal reasons I am unable to discuss the matter further at this time."