CHRIS HUGHTON - manager of the month in the Coca-Cola Championship.

Christmas Tree

We'd have found it hard to get anyone else in that could have done such a good job in what is shit times. Hes obviously got a good rapport with the squad and between him and Calderwood have worked hard to get us where we are.

More importantly hes done it all with dignity, I think hes more than aware of his own failings and isnt comfortable being in the role he is yet hes got on with it and worked hard

This for me.

Having said that, when I consider that players might have been playing for the shop window, my optimism for Sunday falters. It could be argued that our start to the season has been down to players playing well to engineer a move; rather than Hughton's influence.

Still, I'm inclined to bellive he's been working hard and it's paying off. Fair play to him.

how negative are you ffs ?

''playing for the shop window'' - why is it that no one seems to accept that the group of players left, are determined to atone for relegation last season ?

it is so easy to brand all players as uncaring, greedy etc - some might just have a semblance of pride and dignity and want to repay the fans for the support that they got in the bad times. why not try and believe that or is that just too ''positive'' for you ??

how negative are you ffs ?

Tbf, I wasn't being that negative. If you are going to pick on something/someone being negative; at least make sure it's negative enough to deserve a 'ffs' :D

why is it that no one seems to accept that the group of players left, are determined to atone for relegation last season ?

That might be because some of them have had the balls to come out and say that they dont want to play in this division. Maybe it's also because we also know that MA has been trying to sell as many of his expensive assets as possible. Maybe it's also because it doesn't take a genius to work out that if you know you are being peddled to anyone who'll take you, then you want to put yourself in the best light so as to get to the best club you can.

Let me ask you these questions and please answer them honestly.

1. Is Joey Barton still here because he wants to atone for his part in the relegation, or rather because he's an expensive £60k/wk, ineffectve player with too much baggage.

2. Is Collocini still here because he wants to atone for his part in the relegation, or is it because he's a calamity prone defender no one can afford to buy because he comes with a huge £80k/wk wage plus his leech-like expensive agent?

3. Is Guti still here because he wants to atone for his part in the relegation, or because he doesn't offer enough to justify his wages either?

4. Is Geremi not here because he's too fucked to go anywhere else and @ £60k/wk he's on too cushy a number to move elsewhere

5. Not sure what Butt's on, but the Geremi reason applies wouldn't you agree?

The players that reportedly did want to stay and atone, managed to get sold did they not and without too much of a fight from them (not that I think there was much they could do).

Many of the ones we are left with, are those which MA tried and failed to sell during the window. Some of those have the heart to get on with the job they are paid to do and fair play to them. Others will not.

In fairness, I said "when I consider", "might have been playing" and "could be argued". I was just putting across an alternative view. During the same post after the above comments I also said (but don't let this get in the way of you calling me negative btw)

Still, I'm inclined to bellive he's been working hard and it's paying off. Fair play to him.
. I've even left my typo in for completeness.

Also, if you've read anything else I've posted recently (including partially defending you in another thread) you would have seen I thought we'd win today, even with the injuries to some of our key players. That's really negative isn't it. :)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Wonder where we would be if Shearer had got the job and got rid of Smith, Nolan and Barton as planned?

Not for a minute suggesting Hughton gets the job full time, but the "groove" is definately right at the minute between staff and players.

Chris-Hughton-Newcastle-U-001.jpg

Was he going to get rid of Smith? :D

I'm surprised about Chris. I was expecting him to stumble and your bad run of luck to continue, but he is showing himself to be very able at that level so far. Much more able than a certain former Sunderland manager anyway..............

Guest Stevie
I'm surprised about Chris. I was expecting him to stumble and your bad run of luck to continue, but he is showing himself to be very able at that level so far. Much more able than a certain former Sunderland manager anyway..............

Keane will fail, I've got no doubt about it. I think he is a piss poor communicator, people in modern life don't respond to hard handed approaches. All Sunderland managers have been shit, maybe that's harsh on Peter Reid but Steve Bruce is the best manager Sunderland have had in the modern era, and I think that will show in years to come. The rest - shit. Mick Buxton for fuck sake.

Steve Bruce will be somewhere else by the end of next season. He's a pretty over rated manager (pretty good but not great), and has less loyalty than Sol Campbell. Where Sunderland are now is his level, no matter how much the media link him to eventually being back with the Satanists.

As for Keane, he's just a mental case. I was watching your game against Ipswich, and if Keane could lasers out of his eyes, good God it would have been like Saw with random parts of the players and crowds littering the stadium. He doesn't seem to have any man-management skills (e.g. Supple giving up a promising career to be a chef) and spends money on average players.

Edited by Billy Castell

Keane will fail, I've got no doubt about it. I think he is a piss poor communicator, people in modern life don't respond to hard handed approaches. All Sunderland managers have been shit, maybe that's harsh on Peter Reid but Steve Bruce is the best manager Sunderland have had in the modern era, and I think that will show in years to come. The rest - shit. Mick Buxton for fuck sake.

I'd forgotten all about him :ninja:

Malcolm Crosby was only considered a success because he got them to Wembley too. IIRC, they didn't finish the 91/92 season that far about us in Div 2 - only a point in it wasn't it?

Wasn't he gone within 6 months as well?

I'd forgotten all about him :ninja:

Malcolm Crosby was only considered a success because he got them to Wembley too. IIRC, they didn't finish the 91/92 season that far about us in Div 2 - only a point in it wasn't it?

Wasn't he gone within 6 months as well?

John Byrne scored in every round.

Except the final.

He missed a good chance 1st half iirc. They got murdered 2nd half like.

• 2 months later...

Thing is with Hughton is that IMO, there's been no moments of inspiration and what's more, I doubt he has the ability to inspire the players should it be needed.

We are where we are because the crop of players we have are far and away of better class than those of teams around us. The likes of Nolan, Smith, Taylor, Guthrie, Coloccini, Jonas, etc are all of a level above Championship football - admittedly, they don't hold much clout in the Premiership but that to me is indicative of how massive the gulf has become between the two divisions.

We only have to look a couple of miles down the road and see what McCarthy was like when he was in charge of the Mackems. Ran away with the Championship but utter gash in the Premiership - couldn't inpsire his players one ounce and it looks like he's doing it again with Wolves.

Hate to say it but I fear Hughton is cut from the same cloth.

His tactics arent really that discernible but the results suggest that whatever he is encouraging the players to do, seems to be working. His ability to drill them to hold their shape as a unit and occupy a particular line on the pitch when defending and carving out scoring opportunities when attacking seems to be clear though.

His tactics arent really that discernible but the results suggest that whatever he is encouraging the players to do, seems to be working. His ability to drill them to hold their shape as a unit and occupy a particular line on the pitch when defending and carving out scoring opportunities when attacking seems to be clear though.

Will need replacing when we get back up mind.

Will need replacing when we get back up mind.

He will but he won't.

Probably not but the team virtually picks itself anyway when everyone is fit.

Which you, me and the average NUFC fan can see but I genuinely think Ashley & Del-Boy believe he's working miracles.... ;)

I agree with the sentiment here but he's doing better than we thought he might. That's obviously largely to do with the standard of the Championship but don't forget, we've played a few sides from there in various cups and struggled. (I realise they will raise their game for a one off game but still...it's not like we managed to do that very often!)

I'd like to see him given until Christmas if we get promoted. I can't see us splashing the cash in any transfer window and IF he's getting results why meddle?