Beta blockers

Southern Geordie

I've got to give a presentation in a few weeks in front of 150 people and I'm completely bricking it. The most people I've presented in front of before now was about 10 and they were mostly mates. I was recommended to take beta blockers as they are meant to stop stage fright and the likes... my mate gets prescribed them willy nilly before exams by her doctor but am unsure how easy they are to get and whether they actually work? I realise they are for heart conditions and such but know they can also be used for anxiety...

I think Beta blockers have the effect of slowing the heart slighty or regulating the beat, something like that. Not really what I'd have thought you'd want to take for anxiety. Don't take them if you have asthma either (just in case you have) as it can fuck things up there too apparently. Why don't you try some of that rescue remedy stuff? I gather a lot of performers use it when they have stage fright.

:) theyre for hypertension man. Nee Dr is going to prescribe them for normal anxiety!

They can be used in a similar way as an anxiolytic but thats for severe anxiety problems

Propranolol is licensed for anxiety, often used for situations like this.

SG, a beta-blocker will help deal with the physical aspects of severe anxiety - such as reduce a racing heart beat, and reduce shaking and sweating. It may also also have a psychological effect - although this will be more placebo than anything else. You won't be able to take one if you have had asthma. Whether your doctor will prescribe one, I don't really know - depends on the doctor. My brother was prescribed propranolol for interview stress. I wouldn't worry about adverse effects for single doses. You could also ask your doctor about a benzodiazepine if the physical aspects of your anxiety aren't prevalent.

The thing is, in many professions, you have to give seminars or talks to people. Some people relish it, others, like me, hate it every time but learn to accept it and use props to get by (thank fuck for Powerpoint). If you take a beta-blocker now, how will you ever learn to cope with the pressure? So my advice would be, ask your doctor about this if it is truly a one-off. Otherwise, I would say face your fears head on and just do it. The first 30 seconds are the worst.

Don't take a beta blocker for the first time just before a presentation as you don't know how it might affect you. Also, don't listen to anybody who says they've done it and they were fine. You don't need to take anything....once you get the presenation going you'll be OK.

:) theyre for hypertension man. Nee Dr is going to prescribe them for normal anxiety!

They can be used in a similar way as an anxiolytic but thats for severe anxiety problems

SG, a beta-blocker will help deal with the physical aspects of severe anxiety - such as reduce a racing heart beat, and reduce shaking and sweating. It may also also have a psychological effect - although this will be more placebo than anything else. You won't be able to take one if you have had asthma. Whether your doctor will prescribe one, I don't really know - depends on the doctor. My brother was prescribed propranolol for interview stress. I wouldn't worry about adverse effects for single doses. You could also ask your doctor about a benzodiazepine if the physical aspects of your anxiety aren't prevalent.

The thing is, in many professions, you have to give seminars or talks to people. Some people relish it, others, like me, hate it every time but learn to accept it and use props to get by (thank fuck for Powerpoint). If you take a beta-blocker now, how will you ever learn to cope with the pressure? So my advice would be, ask your doctor about this if it is truly a one-off. Otherwise, I would say face your fears head on and just do it. The first 30 seconds are the worst.

I think hes got more hope of getting a beta blocker than a benzo tbh!

Good shout mate, cheers. It will be a powerpoint presentation and will be after a couple of other speakers so the pressure wouldn't be that much... only difference being that the people before me will be really experienced in public speaking. I don't mind giving presentations in front of medium groups of any importance, I just think it's the thought of the 150 people more than anything that has got me bricking it! You never know, I might be fine. I never get nervous for exams and was probably too confident for my driving test, this could be similar.

Depends on the doctor again. My wife got diazepam for flying after an accident we were involved in. They only prescribe small amounts though - 5x2mg or something stupid. Again, it's more of a placebo, pretty harmless.

Actually, it's not a good shout at all. You have no idea how a single dose would affect you. It could slow your heart and drop your cardiac output sufficiently that you faint. Seen it before and certainly entertains the audience.

But hey, then again it might not.

Actually, it's not a good shout at all. You have no idea how a single dose would affect you. It could slow your heart and drop your cardiac output sufficiently that you faint. Seen it before and certainly entertains the audience.

But hey, then again it might not.

I meant good shout about facing the fears. Suppose I'll never learn otherwise eh.

If you had major problems with anxiety in the past then perhaps an anxiolitic would be indicated, but I and I'm guessing your GP would be reluctant to prescribe them just because you feel a bit nervous about something you've never done before.

On the subject of Diazapam, we had a guy who'd drunk 8 litres of cider a day then decided to stop, and went a bit cuckoo. 50mg of Diazapam AN HOUR didn't calm him so we had to sedate him with propafol.

Depends on the doctor again. My wife got diazepam for flying after an accident we were involved in. They only prescribe small amounts though - 5x2mg or something stupid. Again, it's more of a placebo, pretty harmless.

I get it all the time for flying like. The 2mg ones. Got offered beta blockers the first time, as far as I remember, but went for diazepam.

Nothing to do with the prevention of software development then?

As for presenting, I've done maybe 20 people at most. Its funny, I can sit with confidence and talk but as soon as I have to stand up the nerves hit me.

What I find though firstly is that if its 50 people or 100 theres not much difference. Also, most of the time they are there to gain something from you and so are actually interested in what you are saying. I think the first 5 mins are worst, but then you settle down and its fine. Just remember to have a glass of water and to pause between statements, also gives you a chance to compose yourself. Then of course practice the fuck out of the presentation.

As you've done it before, you'll prob piss it and it will be fine.

Dont bother trying to take anything etc, you might have high expectations of its performance rather than your own and make things worse. You'll prob be fine leading up to it, and fucking caking it 5 mins before as each second ticks by and your slot gets closer. But once you get up, just have a drink, deep breath and roll on :D

Oh, and dont say Erm 1000 times :)