5 things we learnt

tinofbeans

Amazing what a decent manager does to a player....

if we'd had oneill as head coach about 2-3 years ago we'd have been in a much better place....

4. James Milner is becoming a top-class player

Most players move imperceptibly through the career gears – average to good to very good to great – but occasionally a player's ascent is tangible. James Milner is in such a phase. He has clearly gone up a notch this season, and his range of skills is greater than any other winger in England. He is a pure footballer, an excellent crosser from open play or dead-ball situations, a subtle dribbler, an indefatigable worker, a humble team man, and versatile enough to play on both flanks or even in the centre.

The fact that he is not genuinely fast will probably stop him getting a place in England's first XI at the World Cup – the right wing is the only obvious place where Fabio Capello can get blistering pace in his attacking sextet, and he is not going to displace Steven Gerrard on the left – but his versatility and quality should earn him a squad place. And at 23, he has scope for even more improvement

Full article http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/...-premier-league

MON should have taken over when Souness went but Shepherd pissed him around too much.

That said, there's something fucking annoying about O'Neill - can't put my finger on it.

He's still looked the same old James Milner when I've seen him play for Villa. Selling Milner wasn't the issue, not investing in a replacement was the problem.

O'Neill's a bigger bottler than Keegan's ever been, backed out of the chance of managing any of the big teams at every opportunity. That said I'd have taken him instead of Souness at the time without doubt.

My reservation was always that his teams were football murderers - especially Leicester.

I'm not sure about Villa.

The last time we could have got him was ruined by timing on his wife's illness iirc.

The last time we could have got him was ruined by timing on his wife's illness iirc.

I seem to remember he'd been out of football and was making noises about making a return. We were pissing him about in about May / June 2006 and Villa appointed him in August of the same year (importantly it was AFTER we appointed Roeder full time).

While we're at it, I've just had a look at our 'manager history' on Soccerbase.com and since we sacked Robson 5 years ago we've had 11(!!!!) managerial changes! :P

I seem to remember he'd been out of football and was making noises about making a return. We were pissing him about in about May / June 2006 and Villa appointed him in August of the same year (importantly it was AFTER we appointed Roeder full time).

While we're at it, I've just had a look at our 'manager history' on Soccerbase.com and since we sacked Robson 5 years ago we've had 11(!!!!) managerial changes! :P

At the time I got the feeling MON was virtually begging for the job via Alan Oliver.

he's s good young player with some nice touches of skill. still reckon his lack of pace and poor delivery will prevent him being a top class winger. i always thought he would be better used as an attacking central midfielder but it seems none of his managers have agreed

that was the thinking behind my comment about his stats, I thought he got a lot of over the top praise by people that clearly didn't see him play much, crap at corners, crap at free kicks, 4 or 5 goals a season, but what he's always had is a good engine and a great work ethic, i just dont think much has changed.

He's still looked the same old James Milner when I've seen him play for Villa. Selling Milner wasn't the issue, not investing in a replacement was the problem.

Exactly. I couldn't believe how much we got for him, it was an excellent deal...but only if all that money was given to Keegan to bring in the right players he wanted and we needed.

As for Milner, he obviously has the lack of pace and inconsistent crossing, but also lookes like he will always chip in with a share of assists and goals and he always worked his arse off. I don't think he's on the verge of becoming a worldbeater either, but efinitely will be an effective prem player in a good side i'd think.

Hasnt his crossing improved this season though? When I've seen him in action, he looks a much better player. I think thats been the problem at our club for too long. Promising young players coming to the club without ever having the infrastructure in place to develop them with the promise they had. Milner isnt the only one to fall foul of this

Didn't MON get arsey when he found out Shepherd wanted Shearer to sit in on the interview?

That was opta Allardyce.

Aye, it was. Hallegedly.

Hasnt his crossing improved this season though? When I've seen him in action, he looks a much better player. I think thats been the problem at our club for too long. Promising young players coming to the club without ever having the infrastructure in place to develop them with the promise they had. Milner isnt the only one to fall foul of this

thats the one. when he was on loan at villa first time round he was good as well.

not ( in my opinion) a coincidence.