Cover story on The Times today

trophyshy

Have you ever killed an animal Ewerk?

Nope, is that a prerequisite for eating one?

No, but maybe it ought to be.

You think people choosing not to eat meat is an extreme stance. I think your stance is extreme if you have never actually witnessed the reality of slaughter. When you take life from another creature it certainly has an impact on your opinions, they are then founded in the reality of the industry, the reality of death.

I think, if we were ever to move toward a responsible society (wild concept I know), people should kill at least once each of the animals they choose to eat, just so that they are aware of the responsibility they are passing on to others. It is not just another product on the shelves.

Extreme, I know. I'll never get in with that vote either.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think people choosing not to eat meat is an extreme stance. I think your stance is extreme if you have never actually witnessed the reality of slaughter. When you take life from another creature it certainly has an impact on your opinions, they are then founded in the reality of the industry, the reality of death.

I think, if we were ever to move toward a responsible society (wild concept I know), people should kill at least once each of the animals they choose to eat, just so that they are aware of the responsibility they are passing on to others. It is not just another product on the shelves.

Not during a recession like.

Edited by Happy Face

Extreme is one word for it. :P

I've seen quite a few gruesome things in my life and I'm pretty sure killing an animal as it's done in an abattoir wouldn't put me off meat.

Why is doing good a bad thing :P

Do I have to cut down a tree if I want paper? Because if so, I'm keen.

Edited by The Fish

Political bargaining AP. Leading the way, we are not a pissy nation in global influence. We buy a lot of China's products. If we green our supply chain then that may exclude nations who won't tow the line. We can affect change. We can negotiate at the table with our own actions as a benchmark.

Surely this is better than what seems to be largely being advocated on here, apathy?

I staunchly believe it's the governments job to save the environment.

Not mine.

Even if their actions restrict the choices that you can make?

I can restrict my own choices while nobody else does and there'll be no effect, or the government can restrict everyones choices and there will be an effect.

If there was no law against it, I'd choose to not pay for anything and walk around bollock naked masturbating into the faces of attractive women on the metro. The government restricts my choices for the common good every day.

That 'UP' film has really got to you ain't it?

What's actually destroying the planet is Government, but I guess it's easier to tell people to give up stuff.

Government in the sense that it is in bed with near unmanaged capitalism?

Perhaps Lord Stern should look at the crazy distances food is transported first. If people ate more locally sourced food, or if more people grew their own veggies, I'm sure that would be a good start. Picking on farting pigs suggests a 'Meat is Murder' agenda to me.

I reckon there is plenty of meat and veggies in Tesco where the farmers have been paid an absolute pittance and then the food is frozen/refrigerated & transported long distances by air - hugely wasteful in carbon terms. Meat and dairy is also a culprit of course, including NZ (although the farmers here are minted by and large).

I staunchly believe it's the governments job to save the environment.

Not mine.

Even if their actions restrict the choices that you can make?

I can restrict my own choices while nobody else does and there'll be no effect, or the government can restrict everyones choices and there will be an effect.

If there was no law against it, I'd choose to not pay for anything and walk around bollock naked masturbating into the faces of attractive women on the metro. The government restricts my choices for the common good every day.

That 'UP' film has really got to you ain't it?

Wall-E is the environmentalist one <_<

Or did you think the old fella in UP goes around wanking in the face of attractive women :nah:

Perhaps Lord Stern should look at the crazy distances food is transported first. If people ate more locally sourced food, or if more people grew their own veggies, I'm sure that would be a good start. Picking on farting pigs suggests a 'Meat is Murder' agenda to me.

I reckon there is plenty of meat and veggies in Tesco where the farmers have been paid an absolute pittance and then the food is frozen/refrigerated & transported long distances by air - hugely wasteful in carbon terms. Meat and dairy is also a culprit of course, including NZ (although the farmers here are minted by and large).

Takes more than its own weight in jet fuel to send a kiwi fruit over.

you're spot on, and this is one of many dozens of insane ways of living that are contributing to the problem. I don't think Stern is saying meat is murder, I think he's suggesting it is an indulgence we could reduce as a species. I imagine he probably said other things but that is a headline, isn't it? It's not like it hasn't been said many times before anyway.

Government intevention and policy. Switzerland does not import any of the food stuff that they grow until they have completely exhausted all of their own stock.

Edited by trophyshy

When staying at the premier inn by team valley this weekend, my wife perused the menu and pointed out to me that the restaurant had only one vegi meal on it. And quite bloody right too I said.

I can't stand all the bleating about the poor little fluffy animals and the like. I love Meat. I love Fish. It tastes nice. Would you tell a lion not to savage a zebra? No, you wouldn't. I'm a carnivore, that's the way God (if he exsists - but that's another arguement) made me. Who am I to argue?

Even worse is all this environmental nonsense. The climate of this planet has been constantly changing for millions of years. It gets hot and it cools down. The water rises and falls. Earthquakes, Volcanoes, Tsunami and Hurricanes have always happened. IMO the evidence for man having an effect on the planet is sketchy at best. I could go further and say that to think that less than 200 years of industrialisation has overturned the previous hundreds of millions of years where nature ruled supreme is, well, a little arrogant on the part of man.

And as for recycling, it's just a way of getting money out of you. They introduce it so they can fine you for not doing it. Something like 80% of the recycling we do in the UK is sent to be 'disposed of' overseas. A big fat con.

There are far more worrying things at the minute that should be concerning the population of this country. Like the breakdown of the family unit, the rise of the feral child and progress of ridiculous pieces of legislation like the Health & Safety Act and the Human Rights Act.

When staying at the premier inn by team valley this weekend, my wife perused the menu and pointed out to me that the restaurant had only one vegi meal on it. And quite bloody right too I said.

I can't stand all the bleating about the poor little fluffy animals and the like. I love Meat. I love Fish. It tastes nice. Would you tell a lion not to savage a zebra? No, you wouldn't. I'm a carnivore, that's the way God (if he exsists - but that's another arguement) made me. Who am I to argue?

Even worse is all this environmental nonsense. The climate of this planet has been constantly changing for millions of years. It gets hot and it cools down. The water rises and falls. Earthquakes, Volcanoes, Tsunami and Hurricanes have always happened. IMO the evidence for man having an effect on the planet is sketchy at best. I could go further and say that to think that less than 200 years of industrialisation has overturned the previous hundreds of millions of years where nature ruled supreme is, well, a little arrogant on the part of man.

And as for recycling, it's just a way of getting money out of you. They introduce it so they can fine you for not doing it. Something like 80% of the recycling we do in the UK is sent to be 'disposed of' overseas. A big fat con.

There are far more worrying things at the minute that should be concerning the population of this country. Like the breakdown of the family unit, the rise of the feral child and progress of ridiculous pieces of legislation like the Health & Safety Act and the Human Rights Act.

Excellent post tbf :nah:

this

Excellent post tbf :nah:

this

indeed, the moaning about climate change annoys me all the more when you think that waiting as little as 10-15 years will actually confirm whether we are responsible for any changes that may be happening or whether its just another manifestation of the natural heating/cooling of earth

I agree with the vegan lifestyle but I cant stand veg and love meat unfortunately! I stopped eating KFC after seeing this vid though :nah:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I can't stand all the bleating about the poor little fluffy animals and the like. I love Meat. I love Fish. It tastes nice. Would you tell a lion not to savage a zebra? No, you wouldn't. I'm a carnivore , that's the way God (if he exsists - but that's another arguement) made me. Who am I to argue? (no, you're an omnivore, that's how god made you. If god exists he didn't think that EVERYy meal should come with half a kilo of meat)

I recommend you read this. It's fascinating. If it's too in depth, the over view is:

"Science has established that it is
very likely
that ever increasing levels of carbon dioxide emissions from energy plants, other industry, cars, and airplanes along with deforestation
are the crucial factors
that have caused global average temperature increases over recent decades."

The Royal society probably know more on the matter than us lay people, so I tend to trust their informed opinion.

And as for recycling, it's just a way of getting money out of you. They introduce it so they can fine you for not doing it. I don't recycle. I've never been fined. Who gets fined?Something like 80% of the recycling we do in the UK is sent to be 'disposed of' overseas source?. A big fat con.

There are far more worrying things at the minute that should be concerning the population of this country. Like the breakdown of the family unit, the rise of the feral child and progress of ridiculous pieces of legislation like the Health & Safety Act and the Human Rights Act. Jesus Wept

Edited by Happy Face

Capitalist whizzkids are wetting themselves on the money they think they are going to make on the Green train....