The Guitar Thread

Tom

Haven't had loads of time to play it cos we've driven across to the Lakes this afternoon. First impressions are that you don't really notice it until you get past the 12th fret. Will take a bit of getting used to, but not much I don't think.

The shorter scale on the lighter strings is def noticeable though. Easy boomer bends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Haven't had loads of time to play it cos we've driven across to the Lakes this afternoon. First impressions are that you don't really notice it until you get past the 12th fret. Will take a bit of getting used to, but not much I don't think.

The shorter scale on the lighter strings is def noticeable though. Easy boomer bends.

Something like the opposite of the hybrid slinky Ernie Ball set might help. Skinny bottom, heavy top, but I doubt such a thing exists. The different scale length from top to bottom would really fuck me up though man, my muscle memory all goes to pot just going from Fender to Gibson scale. 

Looks a really nice bit of kit all the same. 

17 hours ago, Gemmill said:

20231027_131554.thumb.jpg.83053877c8263f767e391b5aa329ae09.jpg20231027_131620.thumb.jpg.7bca753507a80d9dd3209354bc9da0ef.jpg

Here we go. The obligatory chair shot. I can't even fucking tell you how small and light it is. It's ridiculous.

4.5 pounds.

Luuuurvely. I can not wait for mine...just 4ish weeks to go...maybe.

Ive ordered a tremol-no to stick in mine as soon as it arrives!

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Luuuurvely. I can not wait for mine...just 4ish weeks to go...maybe.

Ive ordered a tremol-no to stick in mine as soon as it arrives!

One of the millions of YouTube videos I watched had a lad who'd put a tremel-no in his. Reckons it makes changing strings a doddle too.

Changed the strings straight away on mine yesterday and it was a piece of piss. Was a bit worried about it being a fuck on, but dead easy.

I love it so far, it's so light and easy to play. The pickups and the different selections on the 5 way selector are great.

11 hours ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

It looks like you couldn’t put it on a stand or hang it up by the headstock… are you just supposed to lay it down like one of your French girls?

You can get a wooden stand from strandberg, or there are adjustable stands where you can set the base supports at different levels so they'll hold them alright.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom said:

What on earth is a tremelno? :lol: 

It replaces the spring claw and attaches to the trem block of floating bridge guitars and means you can do drop tunings or completely fix the bridge if you want to

image.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I thought me and Dean at the Newcastle store were getting on like a house on fire, and then he does this.

Dean's perspective on this chat at the Newcastle store.....

donkey-tongue-Q.gif.4cbe4d6cac188587b2e52832ccce7146.gif

"Hi Dean, I'd like to buy a guitar from your shop but I must warn you, I drive a hard bargain." 

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Andrew said:

What do you reckon @Blastronaut?

Fair play to those kids spotting the difference between klones when the drive control was cranked. That's basically the main difference and is down to the clipping diodes. 

Usually when I build them I'll measure through a bunch of D9B and D9E diodes looking for pairs with the right forward voltage at different test currents since the tolerance.of.those things can be all over the place. 

Looks like a cool kit but I'm a bit surprised Josh didn't speak more about the diodes they use. 

But aye, the main difference between different Klon clones is usually down to the clipping diodes, which you won't notice if you use it as a clean boost rather than an overdrive. Which makes it pretty amusing that originally nals are so sought after and insanely expensive, considering they're known for being great clean boosts.

Tour all done and dusted, we had some struggles at first but overall it was absolutely fucking class & I feel super privileged to have been able to do it. Also feel like it strengthened the friendships among the group - which is important as we havent been together that long. 

Played some absolutely amazing shows, somehow people in Brussels knew the words & were singing louder than the PA at one point, they brought signs & threw roses on the stage at the end? Very strange :lol: 

So we did, Brussels/Duisburg/Köln/Hannover/Leipzig/Berlin/Göttingen/Rotterdam. Paris* & Amsterdam** were cancelled.

*Venue financial troubles 

**Soundguy hospitalised 😳

We were so tired toward the last show we played quite poorly - or at least to our standards and it turned out to be the most pro venue we’ve ever played and the whole thing was recorded. FML

• Like 8

Now then strummists, question time. 

Fist Jnr. is having a crack at Creep by Radiohead- he’s got the slow, rhythm parts at the start down, and most of the lead bits, but he’s struggling with the part specifically where the lead first comes in. 
I think it’s called a chop, but please correct me if that’s wrong. 
It’s the bit at 00:56s 

I’ve told him I think he needs to “kill” the note with his strumming/picking hand to get the choppy effect, but we’ve watched this video several times and that doesn’t seem to be how it’s played? 

Anyone got the secret? 
Does he kill the note with his fret hand, and if so-how? 

p.s.  Great to hear that things went so well @Tom, when’s the US/Japan leg of the tour?