The Guitar Thread

Tom

@Tom Looks a keeper. Trading up like that is pretty impressive.

My main these days is an Epi SG that looks identical to the one fist jnr got off Gemmill. That was a Gumtree impulse buy too, but over the years just became the guitar I tended to always reach for first. 

• Like 1

Yeh that's the trick....it's about the ones you want to play, doesn't matter what it cost or where it's from. 

One of my favourite guitars of all is my Epiphone SG, it's 21 years old now, I got it when I was 14 and it's been through the mill but is a bluesy slag, which took me a while to discover as growing up I wanted to play rock/punk etc and what I interpreted as "blues" was closer to UK blues the zep etc 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Packed up all of my stuff today getting ready to move on Monday, I somehow convince myslef that I don't have that much gear and then I have to box it all up and move it and realise I'm kidding myself

My sympathies @Andrew. Flitting is an absolute nightmare. I'm really dreading the next time we have to move. I still haven't recovered from the last time and that was ten years ago.  Hope it goes smoothly man.

@Tom thats a beautiful guitar. Wish they'd put a proper T.O.M bridge and tailpaice on it tbh but it's well out of my budget so I'm not sure why I care. Mind you were saying you were struggling for high gain tones with the P90's in that Riviera? It just occurred to me that Bill Steer was playing LP juniors all the time in the 90's with Carcass. 

On 16/07/2022 at 19:28, Blastronaut said:

My sympathies @Andrew. Flitting is an absolute nightmare. I'm really dreading the next time we have to move. I still haven't recovered from the last time and that was ten years ago.  Hope it goes smoothly man.

@Tom thats a beautiful guitar. Wish they'd put a proper T.O.M bridge and tailpaice on it tbh but it's well out of my budget so I'm not sure why I care. Mind you were saying you were struggling for high gain tones with the P90's in that Riviera? It just occurred to me that Bill Steer was playing LP juniors all the time in the 90's with Carcass. 

Just gone and fucking jinxed myself, looks like we'll be moving in the next few months too. :suicide:

• Haha 3

On 16/07/2022 at 19:28, Blastronaut said:

I think I'm talking purely aesthetics :lol: 

Although I'd definitely whack a H90 in the bridge!

Favourite at the moment it the Charvel, although i need to get a compressor for the pedal board as the damn thing is so loud! Seymour Duncan distortions at the neck and bridge 🔥🔥🔥

@Tom  I've never played much with particularly hot pickups, was just thinking out loud. I'm not sure a compressor pedal would be the first thing I reach for to tame them.

Hate to be that guy but distortion is compression. I'm just skeptical a compressor will solve whatever bugs you about the Charvel.

It's more so for when I'm changing guitars. I.e the first pedal on the board would be a compressor to level out the volume between different guitars.

The pickups are excellent, just too loud compared to any other guitar I have. So if I can level that out between changing axes that would be ideal.

I'm not so sure about that one, you obviously play with a very different setup to me generally but I feel like you'd lose a lot of the Charvels character if you had an always on compressor limiting it to match your other gear, you're squashing down a lot of dynamics there.

pickup height, as blastronaut said, would make a difference if you've not done it already.

Get yourself an HX Stomp/Helix and you can manage it via levelling volumes across patches. Different patches for different guitars. 

YOU'RE WELCOME. WELCOME TO THE DIGITAL REVOLUTION. 

• Like 1

Hmm...no to digital at the moment but perhaps soon ;) 

I think A compressor accentuates character or at least the ones I've used. I tried my mates MXR and it was the tits

I'm an idiot so I struggle to get compressors to sound right. I watch YouTube stuff and see people dial them in and then I try and just end up sounding naff. 

There's a bloke called Jason Sadites on YouTube who does Helix/Stomp patches and he's the only one that I've got it sounding right with - he sticks an LA Stuidio Compressor at the end of the chain in all his patches and it completely transforms the sound, just thickens everything up. 

But aye unless Daddy Jason is dialling it in for me, I make them sound like dogplop. 

Yeh there's only two dials on the MXR. Pretty hard to get wrong I think 🤔 

Probably harder when you have infinite patches to choose from.

17 minutes ago, Tom said:

Yeh there's only two dials on the MXR. Pretty hard to get wrong I think 🤔 

Probably harder when you have infinite patches to choose from.

Is it the Dyna Comp? I'm not gonna talk you out of buying one but you'll find it kills a lot of high end, especially if your a fairly high-gain guy. 

I'm not a huge compressor guy, I use quite a lot of gain (to cover up my ham-fisted playing) so my guitar sound is already pretty squished by the time it hits the amp. I've played with the Dyna Comp and other really similar circuits (Ross and Ibanez from the same era) and  some Optical compressors, never got on massively with any of them. I think if I could pick like Paul Gilbert I use a bit less gain and might need one but that's an absolute pipe dream for me.

6 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

I'm not a huge compressor guy, I use quite a lot of gain (to cover up my ham-fisted playing) so my guitar sound is already pretty squished by the time it hits the amp. 

Same for me really, never had the problem Toms having as a result.

My 51 Tele goes in at exactly the same volume as my EMG loaded explorer :lol:

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Same for me really, never had the problem Toms having as a result.

My 51 Tele goes in at exactly the same volume as my EMG loaded explorer 

Aye. It wouldn't be my first choice to solve the issue he's describing but there's a lot of variables and it's all subjective. Nae right or wrong, all just preference.

I just noticed @Tom saying that he'd tried his mates mxr and loved it. Fair fucks, I feel like a bit of a dick I hadn't noticed that earlier. If it works it works. Still interested to hear if it was the Dyna Comp, which still sell 50 years down the line and (probabaly) for good reason.

The helix patch @Gemmill mentioned looks like it emulates a totally different box of frogs from your usual 70's era guitar compressor pedal. More late 60's high-end rack mount gear that would have been used in post-production, not something commoners like us would have been feeding into the front of guitar amps back in the day. 

5 hours ago, Tom said:

@Blastronaut 

Aye it was a Dyna Comp :up: 

If it works for you, go for it man.

If you can find an old working Ibanez CP9, that might be worth a good look as an alternative. It's pretty the same circuit but with a little more funtionality and doesn't kill your high-end in the same way the Dyna-Comp does. Not the CP10 though, that was a totally different circuit.

Bizarrely I had a pedalboard clean/rebuild and changed the order of some stuff and the Charvel seems a lot tamer (when it needs to be :lol: ) and a lot wilder when it doesn't need to be.

May have been some kind of cable/power issue 🤣

• Haha 1