The Guitar Thread

Tom

On 18/02/2014 at 7:18 PM, Tom said:

As stated in the 'What Mood are you in and why' thread I bought myself a Ditto X2 Looper which is a quality little bit of kit. I've been after a looper for years but the only ones worth buying were very, very expensive for what you get and this little box does more for less.

If you're new to lead guitar it's also pretty handy as you can play over your own rhythm pieces etc. The sound quality is pretty decent and you can record up to five minutes with unlimited overdubs which is pretty insane. It also has a 1/2 speed feature and a reverse feature which is mental. If you record in 1/2 speed and go back to normal it plays it in double speed so it's full of tricks too. :lol:

I've been doing a lot with it recently including getting some awesome Led Zeppelin tones from it via double tracking my Les Paul - you can real start to hear what they were doing. In addition it works really well for harmony too - it's pretty amusing although I'm finding harmony difficult at times because if there's 3 guitars in the solo it can be hard to find out what is supposed to harmonize with what!

In the background of the Vine below you can hear sweep picked arpeggios Cm,Em & Fm reversed at half speed with chords played over the top. It's 'Bliss'' by muse but it had been pretty messed with by then so sounds a little trippy https://vine.co/v/M7051n36Udg

Endless fun for £145 :up:

Reet Tom. I've been looking at this and the EHX 720. Realised I hadn't looked through this thread to see if loopers had been mentioned.... 

Are you still getting on OK with the Ditto X2? From what I can gather this and the 720 are very close in terms of how they work. Both have the reverse and half speed thing. 

Reddit favours the 720 cos it works out cheaper in the US but there's nothing in it price wise over here. The one thing with the 720 is that you can store up to 10 loops in the memory...which might be handy?? 

Looks gorgeous @Gemmill, love the colour.

Regarding the looper I got a good few years out the X2 but it needs a switch changing now and I can't figure out the screw to get the top off, it's alien.

Right now I've got an original ditto (about £60?) and a Digitech Jam Man.

Its dependant on budget tbh. The Ditto's sound true to what you're playing and the X2 and X4 have some cool effects too.

If I was flush I'd get the X4....

Cheers both. 

@Andrew the switching isn't as bad as it looks!

Youve basically got 4 pick up positions - Bridge - both - neck - both in series (think giant humbucker). 

One switch is a bright switch for all 4 positions, so it's just a simple on/off.  

The other switch is an additional bright switch but only for the in series position. Apparently Marr felt that this position could get a bit darker than he wanted it so added an additional bright switch just for this one position. 

The one annoying thing about the guitar is that it ships with a bridge which has string spacing that's too wide for the neck - so both E strings have a habit of sliding over the edge. At first I thought it was just me being a cunt, but it's a recognised issue when you Google it. Anyway it's fixed by getting a new bridge from Staytrem for 65 quid but it's a joke that they're shipping it with that bridge on. 

I love the look of it though, definitely makes you want to pick it up and play, which is pretty much what you're after. 

@Tom cheers, will have a look into the X4. I had read some complaints on reddit actually about people having problems with the switch on the Ditto but it sounds like you got fairly decent use out of it. 

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The one annoying thing about the guitar is that it ships with a bridge which has string spacing that's too wide for the neck - so both E strings have a habit of sliding over the edge. At first I thought it was just me being a cunt, but it's a recognised issue when you Google it. Anyway it's fixed by getting a new bridge from Staytrem for 65 quid but it's a joke that they're shipping it with that bridge on. 

Thats ridiculous!

Aye absolutely pathetic from Fender. It's not like they don't know about the issue either. 

The staytrem replacement bridge has 52mm spacing as opposed to the 55mm that the guitar ships with. Only 3mm but makes all the difference. 

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Does it affect the spacing over the pick up?

Nah, the difference in spacing is minute across each string, it's just enough to stop the issue. The E strings aren't literally wider than the neck - to look at it you would think it was fine, but when you play, it can just slip over the edge depending on what you're playing. So the adjustment to stop it happening is pretty small. 

The bloke at staytrem is mint. Dead helpful and I think he's done a canny trade out of this Fender fuck up! :lol: You've basically got 2 choices - his bridge or one by Mastery which is about 3 times the price of the Staytrem one. 

He just operates out of a workshop in his house too, so this has probably set him up for retirement! 

Strangely enough I got a Squier Mustang the other day for £110 and it plays perfectly out the box. It's a gift for someone but it's a class little guitar.

7 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Sorry Scott but that is absolute crap, as someone who has gigged with Jags there is nothing wrong with the original bridge, people just don't know how to set their Jags and Jazzmasters up correctly.

I'd recommend you join OSG for a decent source of info and tips.

Actually Scott scratch that, the Marr comes with the shitty Mustang bridge not the original Jag/Jazzmaster bridge, which is what you really should have installed instead of the Staytrem.

At least you didn't go the full I can't cope with a Jag and install a Mastery.

6 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Mustang Bridge on a mustang neck! 

Mine was a mustang bridge on a Jag neck. :lol:

That's a nice gift btw! I started on a Squier strat, it was great. 

You do realise they are the same neck dimensions?

54 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Actually Scott scratch that, the Marr comes with the shitty Mustang bridge not the original Jag/Jazzmaster bridge, which is what you really should have installed instead of the Staytrem.

At least you didn't go the full I can't cope with a Jag and install a Mastery.

:lol: No worries, thanks for putting yourself right about putting me right. 

11 hours ago, Tom said:

Sensitive subject Sammy? :lol: 

Not really Tom but unfortunately they are one of those guitars that tend to get bought by cunts that have no idea, that should have bought a Strat so they can shred away but really like The Smiths/Sonic Youth/Dinosaur Jr/MBV/whatever fucking hipster band is using them.

Hence why Staytrem and Mastery even exist.

I've got 3 Jags at the moment, Thinline, a MIJ fixed bridge and a Baritone, plus a Telemaster 12 string that I built and I'm currently building a Jazzmaster.

Back in the day I had 2 1966 B&B Jags, one black, one white and I'm still kicking myself for selling the black one. Best guitar I've ever played.

10 hours ago, Gemmill said:

:lol: No worries, thanks for putting yourself right about putting me right. 

I could have edited or deleted it but I thought it better to be honest about my contempt for you not being able to play a Jag. :razz:

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I never realised owning and wanting to mod/change the way a guitar plays could cause someone unaffected to be so angry about it.

You're on a football messageboard and you never realised blokes could get wound up about unimportant minutiae? :dunno:

22 minutes ago, sammynb said:

I could have edited or deleted it but I thought it better to be honest about my contempt for you not being able to play a Jag. :razz:

:lol: Bellend, by your own admission you didn't know what you were talking about. "Sorry for the weird JagSnob rant, it turns out you, the owner of the guitar and the one that's actually played it, were correct."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

You're on a football messageboard and you never realised blokes could get wound up about unimportant minutiae? :dunno:

...fair.

1 hour ago, sammynb said:

Not really Tom but unfortunately they are one of those guitars that tend to get bought by cunts that have no idea, that should have bought a Strat so they can shred away but really like The Smiths/Sonic Youth/Dinosaur Jr/MBV/whatever fucking hipster band is using them.

Hence why Staytrem and Mastery even exist.

I've got 3 Jags at the moment, Thinline, a MIJ fixed bridge and a Baritone, plus a Telemaster 12 string that I built and I'm currently building a Jazzmaster.

Back in the day I had 2 1966 B&B Jags, one black, one white and I'm still kicking myself for selling the black one. Best guitar I've ever played.

I had a Fender Jag with 2 P90s and a tunomatic bridge :lol: