Will Liverpool qualify for the CL this season?

Park Life

I hope they fuck up due to the nature of the majority of their fans. However, my prime concern about Liverpool this season is Steven Gerrard's fitness, with the World Cup just seven month away now.

Scousers = victim complex

Can you imagine how much of a song and dance their would be if they did go tits up? :huh:

If Hicks and Gillett use £20m of their own money to pay off the club's debt will they be described as 'pumping £20m into the club'? Will they fuck.

I hope they fuck up due to the nature of the majority of their fans. However, my prime concern about Liverpool this season is Steven Gerrard's fitness, with the World Cup just seven month away now.

I'm hoping he'll have an injury-hit season that will see him fit and fresh come June. Win-win situation.

I don't think they will. Without Torres and Gerrard they're pretty average the truth be told. I think the top four will be Chelsea, Man United, Arsenal and Man City. Spurs, Villa and Liverpool will be scrapping about for the title of best of the rest, but that might not be enough for the Scousers to save them from the banks.

Rather than Liverpool mourn the death of their club they should think of it this way - they're doing football a service. A big side needs to fall on their sword to make everyone in football realise how dodgy the ground the debt ridden clubs are standing on actually is. Chances are that team will be Liverpool.

The double whammy of an exit this week and not qualifying for next year would certainly have some arses twitching.

I desperately hope they lose every single game they play (apart from when playing the Mackems) so I can't go much further than that but the continuing financial problems and ground delays are a tasty bonus. As is the divine righters' squealing.

THERE'S NO DANGER of Liverpool folding, it would be great but it's not going to happen. They have many many assets, a worldwide fanbase of glory hunters second only to Man Utd of the British teams, and a squad worth £200m +. I'd love to see them crumble. The fabric of any club is it's local support their's is shit ours is brilliant, as has been demonstrated, by Liverpool in the Houllier era, and our support this year.

THERE'S NO DANGER of Liverpool folding, it would be great but it's not going to happen. They have many many assets, a worldwide fanbase of glory hunters second only to Man Utd of the British teams, and a squad worth £200m +. I'd love to see them crumble. The fabric of any club is it's local support their's is shit ours is brilliant, as has been demonstrated, by Liverpool in the Houllier era, and our support this year.

They could quite easily do a Leeds if the bank ask for their money back though.

It was only staved off this year at the last meeting iirc. There was a lot of talk about the banks wanting to renegotiate the loans, hence the sale of Alonso.

It was only staved off this year at the last meeting iirc. There was a lot of talk about the banks wanting to renegotiate the loans, hence the sale of Alonso.

Yet they still found £21m to sign Aquillani.

Who still hasn't played in the PL yet. :huh:

*Probs paying over 5 years or some such arrangement. Also what with it being a deal with an Italian club there probably is a buyback clause and they are just using 'the deal' to balance the books this year.

Edited by Park Life

Who still hasn't played in the PL yet. :huh:

*Probs paying over 5 years or some such arrangement. Also what with it being a deal with an Italian club there probably is a buyback clause and they are just using 'the deal' to balance the books this year.

And they still had quite a bit cash left over for Glen Johnson too.

For the amount he's spent Benitez has assembled a very poor team overall though I can understand why many still support him because of his past success and because top class managers don't grow on trees. Still, he has made huge mistakes in the transfer market and comes across as a bit of a tit.

He won't be Liverpool's problem much longer if the rumours are true....

As for their financial footing, I believe their new sponsorship deal has eliminated most worries - Standard Charter supposedly own a sizable chunk of the club now.

I'm sure Matt was telling me before that effectively the bank owns Torres as Liverpool still haven't paid back the loan for him.

Yep they do - from what I've heard, Standard Charter have swallowed all the debt in return for a share of the club and sticking their name across the shirts for the next 4 years.

Liverpool effectively have no transfer budget which is why the Gerrard to Real Madrid rumour won't go away.

I'm sure Matt was telling me before that effectively the bank owns Torres as Liverpool still haven't paid back the loan for him.

Yep they do - from what I've heard, Standard Charter have swallowed all the debt in return for a share of the club and sticking their name across the shirts for the next 4 years.

Liverpool effectively have no transfer budget which is why the Gerrard to Real Madrid rumour won't go away.

Good.

Even better news that the Torres sale money (only a matter of time once the waiter is out) will go to the bank.

You say that but they always seem to have money to spend every time the transfer window comes around and as for Gerrard to Madrid, is that not just the same as Ronaldo to Madrid i.e. he will always be linked there because he's a good player and they can spend what they want?

Moving onto the original topic of the thread, yes I think they will come top four and may yet put together a title bid if all their players get back to fitness fairly quickly.

The reason for this is that nobody else is very good this season and everyone is dropping points aplenty - we might have had a chance of the league title if we were still there and minus Ashley!

I was reading this Premier League blog earlier today on the very topic and they also point to the incredible inconsistency of all the top four challengers.