World Cup 2010

Happy Face

I'm conscious of the fact that every time there's a WC people lose sight of reality and predict we'll do this that and the other. I think there is a great opportunity for us here though, genuinely. Fernando Torres was right what he said about Gerrard yesterday, there's not a player in the world who can drag a team up like he can single handed, you have Lampard, the whole squad plays at the highest level in the Prem and latter stages of CL our best 11 is as good as Spain or Brazil and I don't care what no one says. Where they are better is their squad depth. If we avoid injury what a chance we have. Regarding America I'll be disappointed if we don't record a convincing win, their best player barely gets a game for Fulham don't forget. I actually think Algeria will come second.

Someone was making the point about only 15 English players played in the CL last season, whereas something daft like 100 Brazillians had. So what though, its just squad depth which is our issue in that case since most of our starting 11 have lots of CL games under their belts.

I'd be delighted if we make it to the semis. Not good enough to win it.

Why not? We have the best midfielder, in my view the two best centre halfs, best manager, you'd put Rooney in the top 10 players in the world. We are inifinitely better than Italy and Greece were who won two of the last three tournaments, and this is the first time we've played a WC in years in a climate condusive to our footballing way.

;)

On a separate note, I think it will be interesting to see if a European team can win it outside of Europe for the first time.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm conscious of the fact that every time there's a WC people lose sight of reality and predict we'll do this that and the other. I think there is a great opportunity for us here though, genuinely. Fernando Torres was right what he said about Gerrard yesterday, there's not a player in the world who can drag a team up like he can single handed, you have Lampard, the whole squad plays at the highest level in the Prem and latter stages of CL our best 11 is as good as Spain or Brazil and I don't care what no one says. Where they are better is their squad depth. If we avoid injury what a chance we have. Regarding America I'll be disappointed if we don't record a convincing win, their best player barely gets a game for Fulham don't forget. I actually think Algeria will come second.

Someone was making the point about only 15 English players played in the CL last season, whereas something daft like 100 Brazillians had. So what though, its just squad depth which is our issue in that case since most of our starting 11 have lots of CL games under their belts.

I'd be delighted if we make it to the semis. Not good enough to win it.

Why not? We have the best midfielder, in my view the two best centre halfs, best manager, you'd put Rooney in the top 10 players in the world. We are inifinitely better than Italy and Greece were who won two of the last three tournaments, and this is the first time we've played a WC in years in a climate condusive to our footballing way.

;)

On a separate note, I think it will be interesting to see if a European team can win it outside of Europe for the first time.

I fuckin hate yanks, if you get nuked I will feel no emotion.

There are generally only two names in the mix when the title of best player in the world is under discussion and Steven Gerrard is never one of them.

GettyImages

Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard

The soon to be most valuable footballer of them all, Real Madrid's £80m man Cristiano Ronaldo, and his long-time rival Lionel Messi at Barcelona tend to be regarded as the best two talents the game has to offer, but one high-profile observer believes Liverpool's inspirational skipper is well worth a mention in this debate.

In the opinion of Spain and Liverpool striker Fernando Torres, 2010 could be the year that sees Gerrard earn the praise many of his admirers believe he is overdue, with the World Cup finals providing the ultimate stage to confirm his class.

While Gerrard collected the Player of the Year award from England's football journalists last month, the Liverpool talisman is always well down the pecking order when the more prestigious end of year prizes are handed out, but Torres is convinced all that could be about to change.

"When people talk about the best footballers in Europe, they always single out Messi, and Ronaldo, but Gerrard is just as strong," begins Torres, who confirmed his commitment to Liverpool by signing a new contract at Anfield last month.

"Messi and Ronaldo are special talents and the fact that they are in teams winning the important trophies means they stand out from the rest. Maybe you need to win something to earn the big awards, I don't know, but we all understand how good Gerrard is.

"I'm spoilt having a team-mate like Gerrard as I can count on him supplying me with perfect passes. You make the run into the space and however tightly marked he is, he finds a way to get the ball through in perfect condition

I think that sums it up, I wouldn't just say Gerrard is the best midfielder in the world, in club football he is by a million miles the best in the world. Americans don't understand football, you are a mongrel race of insular arseholes who deserve no place in the international community, stick to rounders and rugby with helmets, you helmets. Laughing at the assertion Gerrard is the best midfielder in the world :( now that is laughable, but what's more laughable is laughing at the assertion that Capello is the best manager in the world. He built the best European team of the last 25 years, he won the league with EVERY club he's ever been at in two of the best three leagues in Europe, he even won things with fucking Roma, and he's made England look like potential world beaters and from where we were 2 years ago that really is a miracle. You my friend are an arsehole. I accept differences of opinion but laughing at Gerrard being dubbed the best midfielder in the world, and Capello best manager oh fucking dear. I'm hugely interested to hear who you think are better than both.

As for European teams winning out of Europe, the Americas is Argentina and Brazil no one else, every other country is largely insignificant, and this would be the first time a non European country would win it in Africa. What's interesting about it?

Edited by Stevie

Ive just learned that the manager of the usa team is called 'bob'

;)

Bob Bradley, who picks his son for the national team

its glorified kids football

;)

Just like Paolo and Cesari Maldini, eh? :(

;)

Just like Paolo and Cesari Maldini, eh? :(

no

Gerrard isn't even the best midfielder in the Premiership tbh

;):(

I'm waiting for someone to give me a better more dynamic midfielder than Gerrard, if anyone says Xabi or "de fuckin Rossi", never talk about football again, more laughably I'm waiting for a better midfielder than Gerrard in the Premiership, Fletcher aside of course, and also a better more proven manager than Capello. "Lippi" do one.

Edited by Stevie

Stevie can you explain to me how Gerrard is the best midfielder in the world given his terrible form this season

Terrible form? You not think that's nothing to do with the fact he's been in and out the side since March with groin problems amongst other things??? Added to the fact he's come back in to the side half fit, who are all depressed and playing their worst football in five years. He'll be no where near fit even now. I'd go as far to say other than a few Les Ferdinand performances, I've never seen a better opposition player, ever at St James'.

Edited by Stevie

I don't think Gerrard would make the Barcelona starting midfield

unless he played left wing

I know but some people know more about football than others. He'd be the first name on any team sheet of almost anyone who had a clue in my view.

Iniesta had a slight tear in his groin in the CL Final vs. Man Utd

didn't stop him being man of the match

Ah well that's definite proof Gerrard's not as good as Iniesta then. I'd love to see the impact Iniesta would make in a Gerrardless Liverpool

didn't he play the whole match?

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Gerrard is a bad player but he's not the best in the world in his position.

By a million miles he is as Torres mentioned in the paper on Sunday yet again, and don't forget he plays with the Spain team, although he is biased it's clearly true. Using a game two weeks after Gerrard's back from injury no where near fullt fit as a slight against his ability, well I mean your statement is what it is, pathetic, and that is what annoys me about football fans from the modern era, blinded by statistics with no full understanding of the game. Gerrard will be no where near his best for at least a month yet.

Didn't Rooney, Eto'o, Xavi, Messi and Sir Alex Ferguson all say that Iniesta was the best player in the world after last season?

I'm not going on statistics, I've watched a lot of Liverpool this season and Gerrard has been underwhelming at best, I'm thinking specifically of the Bolton (away - Gerrard only came into the game after Davies was sent off) and Tottenham (away).

For me Gerrard has always lacked a strong tactical understanding of the game and plays far too much with his heart - no wonder Capello doesn't play him in a 4-4-2, he'd leave huge gaps with his cavalier runs and mindless chasing.

In every position on the field, bar DMC, I'd rather have Iniesta playing for sure.

I'll tell you when you can judge whether Gerrard is the best player in his posistion.....if and when this summer he is the outstanding player in a successful (semis?) England team. He has to be far more disciplined when playing for Cappello than when he tries to carry a piss poor Liverpool side on his own, with only Torres to give the ball to. For me england a bit Spain lite at the moment...thats how Cappello wants them to play, bit has he got a Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas to do the job in the centre of the park?

The same could be said of Lampard and Rooney, but they are surrounded by better players at their clubs. Stevie's right in a way, Gerrard sticks out like a sore thumb becuase of the (relative) mediocrity surrounding him.