World Cup 2010

Happy Face

Didn't Rooney, Eto'o, Xavi, Messi and Sir Alex Ferguson all say that Iniesta was the best player in the world after last season?

I'm not going on statistics, I've watched a lot of Liverpool this season and Gerrard has been underwhelming at best, I'm thinking specifically of the Bolton (away - Gerrard only came into the game after Davies was sent off) and Tottenham (away).

For me Gerrard has always lacked a strong tactical understanding of the game and plays far too much with his heart - no wonder Capello doesn't play him in a 4-4-2, he'd leave huge gaps with his cavalier runs and mindless chasing.

In every position on the field, bar DMC, I'd rather have Iniesta playing for sure.

Firstly I don't know if they did, but I and many others disagree with that assertion, certainly you could find more people, football people with the same thing to say about Gerrard. Zidane and Vieira once said Scholes was the best in the world too, and that was also a load of bollocks, even though he was good.

The next bit, I answered before he's been no where nearly fully fit all season, in a very very average side. You need momentum and fitness to play your best football as anyone who watches the game understands. Cavallier runs and mindless chasing eh?????? Eriksson played him in a 442 and particularly in Germany in 2006, it was clear he was far too restricted and far too bound by tactics allowing Lampard the one to be more expressive which didn't fuckin work neither. Capello has found a system to get the best out of both.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Rooney, Eto'o, Xavi, Messi and Sir Alex Ferguson all say that Iniesta was the best player in the world after last season?

I'm not going on statistics, I've watched a lot of Liverpool this season and Gerrard has been underwhelming at best, I'm thinking specifically of the Bolton (away - Gerrard only came into the game after Davies was sent off) and Tottenham (away).

For me Gerrard has always lacked a strong tactical understanding of the game and plays far too much with his heart - no wonder Capello doesn't play him in a 4-4-2, he'd leave huge gaps with his cavalier runs and mindless chasing.

In every position on the field, bar DMC, I'd rather have Iniesta playing for sure.

Firstly I don't know if they did, but I and many others disagree with that assertion, certainly you could find more people, football people with the same thing to say about Gerrard. Zidane and Vieira once said Scholes was the best in the world too, and that was also a load of bollocks, even though he was good.

The next bit, I answered before he's been no where nearly fully fit all season, in a very very average side. You need momentum and fitness to play your best football as anyone who watches the game understands. Cavallier runs and mindless chasing eh?????? Eriksson played him in a 442 and particularly in Germany in 2006, it was clear he was far too restricted and far too bound by tactics allowing Lampard the one to be more expressive which didn't fuckin work neither. Capello has found a system to get the best out of both.

Surely this completely voids your argument saying that if Torres says that Gerrard is the best in the world then he must be right?

I've seen players with no fitness or no momentum come straight into teams and be utterly brilliant. Ronaldo at the 2002 World Cup for example. Totti at Roma recently (scored a hat trick in the first 28 minutes after his come back from a 2 month injury vs. Bali)

There are certainly a lot of people in British football who would said Gerrard is the best midfielder in the world, but outside of England? I'm not so sure.

It's not too dissimilar to how many British football fans see Francesco Totti as an overrated player. A bastion and irrefutable influence for his club side, and regarded as one of, if not the best player in his league, but his lack of brilliant performances on the World Stage along with his refusal to leave his childhood club for greener pastures (Totti - Real / Milan, Gerrard - Chelsea) mean that bar odd moments of genius, he has a limited reputation over here.

Edited by SloopJohn

Surely this completely voids your argument saying that if Torres says that Gerrard is the best in the world then he must be right?

I've seen players with no fitness or no momentum come straight into teams and be utterly brilliant. Ronaldo at the 2002 World Cup for example. Totti at Roma recently (scored a hat trick in the first 28 minutes after his come back from a 2 month injury vs. Bali)

There are certainly a lot of people in British football who would said Gerrard is the best midfielder in the world, but outside of England? I'm not so sure.

It's not too dissimilar to how many British football fans see Francesco Totti as an overrated player. A bastion and irrefutable influence for his club side, and regarded as one of, if not the best player in his league, but his lack of brilliant performances on the World Stage along with his refusal to leave his childhood club for greener pastures (Totti - Real / Milan, Gerrard - Chelsea) mean that bar odd moments of genius, he has a limited reputation over here.

Totti's reputation is ruined by his spitting at players and cheating.

It's not too dissimilar to how many British football fans see Francesco Totti as an overrated player. A bastion and irrefutable influence for his club side, and regarded as one of, if not the best player in his league, but his lack of brilliant performances on the World Stage, bar odd moments of genius, have limited his reputation outside of Italy.

That never was my point it supports it but I have enough conviction in my own views without relying on other people and what they have to say. However while we're on about people quoting players as the best in the world here's a list of people who think Gerrard is:

Zidane, Pepe Reina, Torres, John Terry, Vieira, Kuyt, Aquilani, Hiddink, Gullit, Ancelotti, Pele, but I think this quote from "Zizou" sums it up the best:

Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of (Lionel) Messi and Ronaldo but yes, I think he just might be.If you don't have a player like Steven Gerrard, who is the engine room, it can affect the whole team.When we were winning league titles and European Cups at Real, I always said Claude Makelele was our most important player. There is no way myself, (Luis) Figo or Raul would have been able to do what we did without Claude and the same goes for Liverpool and Gerrard. He has great passing ability, can tackle and scores goals, but most importantly he gives the players around him confidence and belief. You can't learn that -- players like him are just born with that presence.

Of course though a few mediocre performances against Blackburn and Bolton whilst half injured pull that to pieces. ;)

Obviously the fact he plays with Spain and with these midfielders yet, what he actually said was he's not just the best midfielder in the world, he is in fact the best player on earth, but I don't really care what Torres said.

Totti :( (by the way I've noticed he's scored a goal a game this season in SERIE A as the world class Luca Toni used to do)

Goodnight

Edited by Stevie

Are we overlooking the fact that in Africa, this is the best chance in a long while for an African side to go to the wire?

Who? Except for Ivory Coast and maybe Ghana, they're all gash. And Ivory Coast can never keep it together at big tournaments. Total collapse at the 2008 African Nations for example. I'm not sure what all the hype about 'Africans playing in Africa' is anyway. The WC will be played during the South African winter, and the conditions won't really be too different from those found in August/September games in most European leagues.

I think Gerrard is one of the best midfielders in the Premier League, but I'd take Fabregas and probably Essien ahead of him. In "best in the world" terms, he shouldn't even be mentioned.

Be interesting to see which Stevie G turns up to the WC finals, assuming he's fit. The ineffectual, diving, reckless 2 footed tackler; or the inspirational, surging forward, score from outside the box workaholic.

As I'll be supporting Engerland, and knowing my luck, it'll be the former.

Are we overlooking the fact that in Africa, this is the best chance in a long while for an African side to go to the wire?

Who? Except for Ivory Coast and maybe Ghana, they're all gash. And Ivory Coast can never keep it together at big tournaments. Total collapse at the 2008 African Nations for example. I'm not sure what all the hype about 'Africans playing in Africa' is anyway. The WC will be played during the South African winter, and the conditions won't really be too different from those found in August/September games in most European leagues.

I think Gerrard is one of the best midfielders in the Premier League, but I'd take Fabregas and probably Essien ahead of him. In "best in the world" terms, he shouldn't even be mentioned.

;)

Gerrard is the best midfielder in the PL in my opinion.

A also think if you take Xavi out of Barcelona and put him in a team like Bolton he'd be so average. He relies on other players to make angles for him. Gerrard relies on himself.

South African winter so that won't help and they've never really looked like winning even when the climate suited them (I suppose you could make an argument for Nigeria in USA '94).

What makes me laugh is all of the players mentioned in superior terms to Gerrard would probably admit he is a better player. We live in an alternative view from the truth is cool society though. The boy Sima epitomises it.

Edited by Stevie

The differeance Gerrard has to most of the others is that he can SINGLE HANDED lift a mediocre side, like Messi can and CR can. Fabregas can't really and nor can the likes of Xavi or Essien....Essien is mostly a bystander at Chelsea.

South African winter so that won't help and they've never really looked like winning even when the climate suited them (I suppose you could make an argument for Nigeria in USA '94).

I think Ivory Coast have the best African side there's been personally. In my view they have the best target man, the underrated in Yaya Toure, and a top class centre half with good players around them. I would love it if they could beat Brazil.

I think Ivory Coast have the best African side there's been personally. In my view they have the best target man, the underrated in Yaya Toure, and a top class centre half with good players around them. I would love it if they could beat Brazil.

It will be good for football if an African side gets to the SF's.

I'd like to see meddling. anti-footballing sides like Italy out early and Germany imo are at their weakest for a long time.

The differeance Gerrard has to most of the others is that he can SINGLE HANDED lift a mediocre side, like Messi can and CR can. Fabregas can't really and nor can the likes of Xavi or Essien....Essien is mostly a bystander at Chelsea.

Exactly, while I think Essien is pure class in what he does, he's not going to win a game on his own, and inspire a side single handedly, that's what singles Gerrard out as the best. Ridiculous and beyond laughable definitively stating Fabregas and him are better players, I think even Wenger would have a chuckle. If you take Essien and Drogba out of Chelsea, they're still a very good side, same with say van Persie and Fabregas, you take Gerrard and Torres away Liverpool are a poor midtable squad that's what SG is up against.

Exactly, while I think Essien is pure class in what he does, he's not going to win a game on his own, and inspire a side single handedly, that's what singles Gerrard out as the best. Ridiculous and beyond laughable definitively stating Fabregas and him are better players, I think even Wenger would have a chuckle. If you take Essien and Drogba out of Chelsea, they're still a very good side, same with say van Persie and Fabregas, you take Gerrard and Torres away Liverpool are a poor midtable squad that's what SG is up against.

It's as clear as day. ;)

The Gerrard that plays for Liverpool is definitely the best all round in the prem, he sometimes drags his team to wins on his own and he's up there with any world midfielders. But the one up until recently who plays for England is a good distance away from the best, he's turned in soem shite for england.

Is this like "Only Connect" where you have to guess what comes next in the sequence? Since they get progressively more awful, I'll wager that the 2010 song is Rio Ferdinand and his "posse" going urban all over Scooch's "Flying The Flag (For You)".