Barnsley 2 NUFC 2

peasepud

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One word to describe us yesterday-complacent.Its an attitude we've been getting away with in this division, but one which was partially to blame for relegation last season. Not a lot changes really. The players know they are mostly head and shoulders above their opponenents in this division ability wise and usually do just enough to get by. So they dont mind doing this. Last season was a bit too much like hard work but being millionaires why should they care? Talk is cheap, they can say what they want in the press but for me the general attitiude is still one of indifference.Add to this the only reason many of the highest earners are still here is everyone in football knows they are chronically overpaid in relation to their ability and wouldn't bid for them if they were the last professsional footballers on earth. The only thing that has changed is the quality of the opposistion.

If the teams we are playing are organised and have a better attitude to hard work than us (Blackpool,Forest,Scunthorpe) or we have "key" players out (Nolan,S Taylor,Colo) then we are found wanting. Shola it would seem is more interested in going to the ACN/WC with Nigeria,Butt is still inexplcably being picked in front of Guthrie (I really think Hughton actively dislikes Guthrie) in the centre of the park and we still have Ashley at the helm with an economic situation that makes a bid from someone or a group of individuals even at the lower end of Ashley's price spectrum distinctly unlikely.

Having said all that, I am enjoying this season. But the elephant in the room is next season.Nothings really changed that much.

Am I the only one who finds it a bit irritating but at the same time amusing at how the media in general keep mentioning our 'record equaling' run of seven straight wins? One of them mentioned that we failed to beat it by failing to beat Barnsley, yesterday. Now I'm sure I didn't dream it, but didn't we win eleven in a row at the start of the 1992-93 season? (In fact, that turns to thirteen if you carry on from the previous season, 1-0 v pompey, 2-1 v leicester). This isn't even taking any previous decades of success into account either. Could it be, some journalist twigged that we won seven in a row in the PL under KK and mentioned as a 'fact' then other lazy journalists read it and assumed journalist A was correct and have carried on repeating it culminating in the BBC putting it on too. These people are getting paid as well, you know! Next time you see them sitting round their table sipping coffee talking to cabbage-head Woolnough, please feel free to shout abuse at your tv screen or better still, don't watch it in the first place.

Am I the only one who finds it a bit irritating but at the same time amusing at how the media in general keep mentioning our 'record equaling' run of seven straight wins? One of them mentioned that we failed to beat it by failing to beat Barnsley, yesterday. Now I'm sure I didn't dream it, but didn't we win eleven in a row at the start of the 1992-93 season? (In fact, that turns to thirteen if you carry on from the previous season, 1-0 v pompey, 2-1 v leicester). This isn't even taking any previous decades of success into account either. Could it be, some journalist twigged that we won seven in a row in the PL under KK and mentioned as a 'fact' then other lazy journalists read it and assumed journalist A was correct and have carried on repeating it culminating in the BBC putting it on too. These people are getting paid as well, you know! Next time you see them sitting round their table sipping coffee talking to cabbage-head Woolnough, please feel free to shout abuse at your tv screen or better still, don't watch it in the first place.

I thought the same.

Yesterday summed up our season for me, weve done it so much this season. We get the goal and we just sit back on it, As soon as Nolan scored yesterday it was pretty much just see the game out. We only really started coming out looking for another goal when they equalised.

After Marlon scored we did exactly the same and sat back. The only reason we've got away with it for so long is the lack of decent teams in this league who are able to take advantage! though there have been opportunities where we have been lucky for doing the exact same thing.

Why cant we go out search for a couple of goals and keep the momentum going instead of tryin to kill the game as soon as we have a goal!?

that said, I don't think yesterdays result was particularly bad. You can't win every game and we're still unbeaten in 8.

I think record keeping and journalism standards in general pretty dodgy in football. With the advent of the Premier League as well you have records invented that aren't really records - a 'Premiership' record is one involving the top flight league since August 1992, which on the face of it is a very arbitrary starting point. If you compare it to cricket, where record keeping/statisticians are an institution in themselves, you only have to look at the outrage when the Australia vs The Rest of The World matches in 2005 were given Test status.

I thought the same.

No you didn't.

I'd echo the comments about how this was just like a lot of games this year but on this occasion we just did concede killer goals.

Another thing that got me was that I remember when we got promoted under Keegan that when we did slip up on the odd occasion I remember biting like fuck at the relish that the opposing fans celebrated the result with. That phenomenon also occurred when he had a good team in the Premier and I noticed on Saturday that its back going by the reaction at Barnsley - though to be fair I think Blackpool was the same.

In a way you could say its a "good" thing that people enjoy beating us - my only worry is that in the previous times we were actually good.

The match thread on NO was canny entertaining.

Our second goal 'came out of the blue' apparently so not too disappointed. You cant play average and win every week.

Also, i really dont get how our players are 'head and shoulders' above the rest of the league. From what i have seen on the telly and one match so far at SJP, not seen much evidence for that apart from 'on paper'. When you examine the attributes of pace, ball retention, off the ball movement and passing there isnt much to suggest we are better. Goal scoring ability and defence looks a bit better but thats about it.

I thought Hughton's tactics were overly negative for this game. If we get promoted, which is surely odds on now, it greatly concerns me that he will likely be kept on. We will have no chance in the top flight imo.

I also thought the match was a bit flat considering we has over a third of the stadium and it was just before christmas. Also what can you say about Barnsley? What an utterly depressing place to live. I liked the fans I met though, good bunch of lads.

I thought Hughton's tactics were overly negative for this game. If we get promoted, which is surely odds on now, it greatly concerns me that he will likely be kept on. We will have no chance in the top flight imo.

I also thought the match was a bit flat considering we has over a third of the stadium and it was just before christmas. Also what can you say about Barnsley? What an utterly depressing place to live. I liked the fans I met though, good bunch of lads.

I still think that if we get promoted, the only way we'll stay up is with a change of owner. Otherwise Ashley will persist with Hughton and won't spend the money needed on new players. Hughton's doing a canny job under difficult circumstances but I don't think he's good enough for the Prem. And the team is woefully short imo across the park in terms of pace, guile in attack and solidity in defence. We may get away with it in a poor CCC but we won't in the Prem.

In fact I reckon Hughton would be sacked at the end of Jan, just as the transfer window closes.

And the team is woefully short imo across the park in terms of pace, guile in attack and solidity in defence. We may get away with it in a poor CCC but we won't in the Prem.

In fact I reckon Hughton would be sacked at the end of Jan, just as the transfer window closes.

This.

We're stuck now with having to give him a chance next season. There's fuck all chance that Ashley will sell if we're promoted. He's ignorant and deluded to the extent where he will think we'll have a squad and manager that's good enough to compete in the Premier League. What price a top 6 finish?

In reality if we go up he should cash in and fuck off. Hughton should return to being a coach, a new manager should be bought in and 30 million pounds should be spent on improving our team.

In reality if we go up he should cash in and fuck off. Hughton should return to being a coach, a new manager should be bought in and 30 million pounds should be spent on improving our team.

Totally agree. Come what may Butt and Geremi will need to be replaced. The midfield in particular isn't close to Prem standard imo.