Danny Simpson is ours!

jamie_gordon

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we'll be hoping to get him on loan again for now rather than buying him so we'll be snookered if someone comes in offering any sort of fee for him. A late deal will of course mean it'll be very hard to bring in a suitable replacement.

DANNY SIMPSON’S dream move to Newcastle United has been left hanging in the balance after talks between the on-loan Manchester United defender and the Magpies stalled.

The Chronicle last night reported that Simpson was desperate to see the deal completed.

And it appeared to be all but a done deal yesterday after Man United and Newcastle agreed a fee of £500,000 to turn the loan switch into a permanent one.

But while Simpson would love to seal a switch to St James’ Park, the possible collapse of the deal means that he is scheduled to be returning to Old Trafford on Tuesday after the last game of his current deal against West Brom in four days’ time.

Should Simpson fail to secure his move to Tyneside it would be a THIRD blow in the transfer window for Chris Hughton, who has already seen bids for Jermaine Beckford knocked back and a move for Matthew Kilgallon die after the Sheffield United stopper opted to stay with the Blades.

It’s understood that Simpson has been offered terms that would leave him as one of the lowest earners in the squad, with the days of huge salaries at Gallowgate now history as the current Toon regime attempt to slash the wage bill.

Hughton fielded Ryan Taylor at right-back last night, but that had nothing to do with the transfer talks between knee victim Simpson and United.

The Toon boss told the Chronicle: “It was a precaution for Danny.

“I wasn’t going to play Fabricio Coloccini because Tamas Kadar was going to be playing before he reported in with an illness.

“It was only a couple of hours before the game that we changed it.

“It was always touch-and- go with Kevin Nolan because his wife had a little boy on the day of the game.”

Meanwhile, Hughton says he is not concerned about Andy Carroll’s run of seven games without a goal.

He said: “I’m not worried about Andy Carroll – the most important thing with him is that he gets games.

“It’s the same for all strikers, he’ll have good and bad periods.

“He’s had dips, but the most important thing is that he played 90 minutes and made a good contribution.”

United deal for Danny Simpson looks dead and buried

DANNY Simpson’s hopes of a permanent move to Newcastle United appear to have ended as the full-back prepares to return to Manchester United at the end of his loan spell next week.

With Chris Hughton also denying he is interested in signing Bolton Wanderers defender Danny Shittu last night, Newcastle’s search for defensive re-enforcements looks in trouble with 18 days of the transfer window left.

Simpson had been keen to extend his stay on Tyneside and Newcastle were looking to make the move permanent, but the Magpies have been unable to reach an agreement with Manchester United over a fee for a player who will be out of contract in the summer.

It is also understood Simpson’s wage demands were too high for the Magpies’ budget in the Championship, with United keen to offer a deal which would have increased only if they achieved promotion back to the Premier League.

United sources have indicated the deal is dead as things stand and Simpson – who will be able to ask for bigger wages as a free agent in the summer – has told friends he will be leaving next week, although it could be revived if some compromises are made in the coming days.

Where Newcastle go from here remains to be seen, but Hughton will see the failure to land Simpson on a permanent deal as a major setback, particularly as he has already missed out on the signing of Sheffield United’s Matthew Kilgallon this month after he decided to stay at Bramall Lane until he also becomes a free agent in June. Newcastle have been heavily linked with Shittu this week as the Nigerian international, who is currently on international duty at the African Cup of Nations, has been unable to get a game at the Reebok Stadium.

However, Hughton is adamant they are not looking to sign the 29-year-old and he will continue to concentrate on other defensive targets as he look to come to terms with the loss of Simpson, a player who has been first choice at right-back all season.

Hughton said: “There is no truth in the reports we are looking to sign Danny Shittu.

“He is not one we are interested in, but we are continuing to work on things in private.

“When there is something to report we will let people know, but there is nothing people need to know about right now.”

The signing of Simpson looked like a good piece of business by the club given his age and ability but, as with every player who is within six months of the end of their contract, he held a strong hand in the negotiations and Manchester United have also refused to budge on their asking price for a player who has come through the youth ranks at Old Trafford.

As a result, Hughton has been left empty-handed so far in his pursuit of the three players he wanted this month,and will now have to find another option at right-back as well continue his pursuit of a centre-back and a striker.

He will hope Leeds finally begin to see sense over Jermaine Beckford. Beckford has informed Leeds he wants to leave this month, but the club are refusing to sell for less than £2m, a figure Newcastle will not pay.

Hughton has already warned this week he will not wait forever for Leeds to part with their 20-goal top goalscorer, and it is likely Newcastle will go elsewhere if things have not moved in their favour by the end of next week.

Meanwhile, Peter Lovenkrands is hoping his hat-trick against Plymouth will ensure he is given a starting place against West Brom on Monday night.

Lovenkrands’ treble was the third by a Newcastle player this season – Shola Ameobi and Kevin Nolan bagging the others – although his was the only hat-trick with one scored on either foot and a header in between.

He said: “I had not scored a perfect hat-trick before, and it was very, very exciting.

“Everybody put a lot of pressure on me at half-time, saying I need to get the last one on my right foot, but I got it and it was perfect.

“Not many people do it for Newcastle United, so I am really proud to be one of the people who have done it.

“You cherish these moments, especially as a striker. I thought we played so well.”

He will hope Leeds finally begin to see sense over Jermaine Beckford. Beckford has informed Leeds he wants to leave this month, but the club are refusing to sell for less than £2m, a figure Newcastle will not pay.

The most depressing thing I've read in years. We won't cough up £2 million for Beckford and now, we're refusing (I assumed) to budge past £500,000 for Danny Simpson. The penny pinching is almost into self-parody.

Not too fussed tbh

with United keen to offer a deal which would have increased only if they achieved promotion back to the Premier League.

I don't have a problem with that as I wouldn't want to be left with an average player on big wages in the fizzy pop league shoule we not go up.

CHRIS HUGHTON today revealed that a fresh round of talks with Danny Simpson could hold the key to some transfer-window success.

The Newcastle United manager and his backroom staff have remained cool, calm and collected during the window and merely underlined the need to bring in back-up players to complement their Coca-Cola Championship table-toppers.

But Hughton would love to sign the Manchester United full-back on a permanent basis and was left disappointed when a £500,000 move fell through after the Red Devils and Newcastle had agreed a fee.

Simpson is due to make a return to Old Trafford tonight but further talks were scheduled today with both Hughton and Colin Calderwood to discuss his future.

And in a window of twists and turns so far, a dramatic U-turn for the defender was not being ruled out by Newcastle or the player after the last appearance of his original loan period.

Simpson limped off gingerly with a knock in the closing stages of last night’s 2-2 draw with West Brom but was afforded an excellent ovation at the end by the Toon faithful after making a positive impact in his spell on Tyneside.

Hughton is keen to deliver some good news to those fans and told the Chronicle today: “Danny’s one that we’re still working on.

“Once he’s out on that pitch, he’s a very committed player who will give everything.

“I’ll have to see him, but officially, he’s a Manchester United player until it’s decided otherwise.

“We’re still working and making decisions.

“The most important thing is to bring in the lads we need in the areas we need, and we’d like to do that as soon as possible.”

And commenting on what may be Simpson’s last performance for the Mags, Hughton said: “I thought he was excellent.

“He was up against a very good, free-flowing player in Jerome Thomas. He’s a good athlete and runner, but Danny was there, and we sorely needed him.”

United now have just 13 days to sign any players contracted to other clubs on a permanent basis.

But after that they can still sign players when the Football League’s emergency loan window re-opens at the start of February, on similar terms to those of Zurab Khizanishvili and Marlon Harewood earlier in the season.

Blackburn defender Khizanishvili has already stated his desire to return to United and was on standby today to see if a switch back to Tyneside was still up for grabs

For all i think he has been decent, he was poor NOT excellent as Mr Hughton suggests.

By all means try and sign him up but if he wants more than 15k he can fuck off....

Decent defender, can't play football. And that's in this league. Worst thing is, I can't see us doing any better.

For all i think he has been decent, he was poor NOT excellent as Mr Hughton suggests.

By all means try and sign him up but if he wants more than 15k he can fuck off....

Decent defender, can't play football. And that's in this league. Worst thing is, I can't see us doing any better.

I agree but he is not worth more than 15k a week.

I just hope once we are promoted that we are bought by a decent consortium who can emulate the days of the halls and hopefully surpass their ambition by targeting decent players once again.

Leazes...Hook?

;)

I agree but he is not worth more than 15k a week.

I just hope once we are promoted that we are bought by a decent consortium who can emulate the days of the halls and hopefully surpass their ambition by targeting decent players once again.

Leazes...Hook?

;)

It's hard to say what's he asked for / what he'd take / what he's been offered but I think it's a safe bet Ashley's looking for a cheap deal and not looking at the bigger picture.

If we get promoted you'd probably take him as back up RB, but first choice would be worrying. I remember a Blackburn fan on here who'd watched him when he was on loan for them in the prem and he thought he was very poor and theres been times at this level against a decent winger that he's had problems.

Considering under Ashley in the prem we'd be spending very little i'd be going to Villa to get Beye back, they hardly play him, he won't cost much has a couple of years left in him IMO and can play RB as well as cover CB.

Without a doubt alex!

Thing is...i can understand him wanting to protect the savings on wages and thus giving him a very saleable asset.

BUT

I dont get why he is trying to do this with all our potential signings...surely he knows we need improvements in order to secure promotion?

And that in its self should be the most important thing to him if he is infact looking to sell up?

Without a doubt alex!

Thing is...i can understand him wanting to protect the savings on wages and thus giving him a very saleable asset.

BUT

I dont get why he is trying to do this with all our potential signings...surely he knows we need improvements in order to secure promotion?

And that in its self should be the most important thing to him if he is infact looking to sell up?

With that staement you are in fact giving the fat cunt the credit of having any semblance of intelligence, and i'm not sure that he does!

Without a doubt alex!

BUT

With that staement you are in fact giving the fat cunt the credit of having any semblance of intelligence, and i'm not sure that he does!

Im not so sure neither...but you'd hope!

Without a doubt alex!

BUT

Yeah, whatever he has instore for us, be it selling up or staying on, you'd think he would see that promotion is in his best interests as well as ours! And as much as i think this division is beyond shite and that we can get promoted with a weakened squad i don't want to put it to the test!

Without a doubt alex!

BUT

Yeah, whatever he has instore for us, be it selling up or staying on, you'd think he would see that promotion is in his best interests as well as ours! And as much as i think this division is beyond shite and that we can get promoted with a weakened squad i don't want to put it to the test!

You, me and everyone else mate!

Its just soo excruciating and frustrating when we all know how a transfer window is going to pan out and then slowly watching it pass by.

No-body is asking for massive immediate progression or massive amounts of money to be spent (by him) but we all would take slow progression over standing still.

Edited by Geordie Lad...

Without a doubt alex!

BUT

Well, he does like a gamble after all.

Skysports.com understands that Newcastle have agreed a deal to sign Danny Simpson from Manchester United.

The 23-year-old right-back has had a highly successful loan spell at St James' Park over the opening half of the season.

He returned to Old Trafford on Tuesday, as talks over a permanent deal failed to materialise.

However, the two clubs have now agreed terms and Simpson is set to pen a permanent deal on Tyneside.

Simpson is set to undergo a medical on Wednesday before signing a two-and-half-year deal with Chris Hughton's side.

Link