What are you drinking?

Guest alex

@Howmanheyman

The Mean Eyed Cat at the bottom of St. Thomas St. is a great little independent bar - 3 minutes from Bar Loco if you go round the back of the Percy. 

It’s got a south facing seating area out the back too, because it’s a lovely evening. 

Where you going for your bait? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

@Howmanheyman

The Mean Eyed Cat at the bottom of St. Thomas St. is a great little independent bar - 3 minutes from Bar Loco if you go round the back of the Percy. 

It’s got a south facing seating area out the back too, because it’s a lovely evening. 

Where you going for your bait? 

El coto, wor lass can't really walk far or down much stairs, bar loco was about our best bet. 

• Like 2

Just now, Monkeys Fist said:

Fair do, I’ve not been to El Coto for ages but always had a great time there. 

Ask for the Tetas Monumentos, you’ll love it. 

We've been loads of times, love it. :ok:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

IMG_0961.thumb.jpeg.b719a24b78654ad437e4578a8ccd61c2.jpeg

Fucking mint I’d say. :lol:

There was a boozer I used to frequent up in Perth that was a bit like this. First time we went in the toilets were flooded, opened the door to see about 9 headcases in there  shoulder to shoulder, ankle deep in piss doing lines off the top of the hand-dryer. Barman told us the cleaner was on holiday that week so the bogs would likely stay flooded for at least another few days.  Proper shithole but it became a regular haunt since it had the magical combination of cheap pints, live music and a pool table.

I'll never forget my old man phoning me once totally out the blue "mind that pub you were talking about the other day, is it down a wee ally, opposite a crèche or nursery or something?"

"Aye it is, how?".

Panic in his voice: "is it called The Grill?"

"Aye that's the one. Actually I'm here right now"

"WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DRINKING IN THERE FOR? I'VE JUST SEEN IT ON CRIMEWATCH!".

It's a good few decades since I've been in, but these summer holidays have been brutal and the kids are seriously testing my patience so I'm now seriously wondering if the pub and crèche are both still open. 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Last I heard the meth heads had taken over the creche. 

Ideal. That's me checking train times to Perth.

Schools are back on Wednesday so I might not have to resort to such drastic measures but it's good have options for a bit of respite.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Unclear - are you checking the kids in there or yourself? 

Either way, win. :lol:

We'll see how it goes. Might swap halfway through, seems fair. The other day I was getting comfy reading the racing post and the youngest was chilled watching some shite kids TV. Everything was going great for about five minutes, until I realised I was sat watching Peppa Pig on my own and the lad had fucked off upstairs with the Racing Post.

• Haha 2

Fuck me. In this boozer in a stunning Etrick valley. Just having a couple of pints after a lovely meal. Bloke says he's about to close up and if we fancy a tipple to wait on. 

He brings out a Glenfarclas 15  year old. Oh my. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Fuck me. In this boozer in a stunning Etrick valley. Just having a couple of pints after a lovely meal. Bloke says he's about to close up and if we fancy a tipple to wait on. 

He brings out a Glenfarclas 15  year old. Oh my. 

That's awful. Poor bloke. Hope you've called the Samaritans.

• Haha 1

Had a couple drinks in bar loco with the wife and daughters, don't know what you were all going on about? I had a couple of pints and they all had a short. (We shared a couple of wraps of Billy Whizz between us as well). :good:

• Haha 3

On 01/08/2023 at 20:40, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

The red wine cask is nice too. 

You're not wrong btw, good shout. Sweeter than I remember the Sherry Cask version being but I'm no connoisseur by any stretch and my taste buds are all fucked up since kicking the snouts.

If it passes the hangover test I'll probably pick this up more often. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blastronaut said:

You're not wrong btw, good shout. Sweeter than I remember the Sherry Cask version being but I'm no connoisseur by any stretch and my taste buds are all fucked up since kicking the snouts.

If it passes the hangover test I'll probably pick this up more often. 

It is sweeter and I only get it when it’s on offer 

16 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

It is sweeter and I only get it when it’s on offer 

Same. I'm a miserly bastard and I hadn't planned on buying whisky tonight but when I noticed it on offer at the local co-op my inner atheist quite clearly screamed "it's cool man ignore me, this is clearly a sign from a higher power."

• Haha 2

On 12/08/2023 at 11:04, Howmanheyman said:

Had a couple drinks in bar loco with the wife and daughters, don't know what you were all going on about? I had a couple of pints and they all had a short. (We shared a couple of wraps of Billy Whizz between us as well). :good:

Me and my lass go in before games sometimes and it’s canny. Not as good as it used to be pre-pandemic but you can say that about 95% of pubs, I’d say. Some of the bar staff take “leisurely” to new heights though. They wouldn’t hurry if the place was on fire 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Me and my lass go in before games sometimes and it’s canny. Not as good as it used to be pre-pandemic but you can say that about 95% of pubs, I’d say. Some of the bar staff take “leisurely” to new heights though. They wouldn’t hurry if the place was on fire 

I'm not one to make judgements on pubs based solely on their names, but Bar Loco is a seriously shite name for a pub. 

Actually the first part of that is a bit of lie. I jumped in a taxi recently and said "the Empire Bar please" and few minutes later the driver casually tried to strike up conversation with "is that a Rangers or a Celtic pub?". Cunt then doubled down when I said "I've never been in but the gambler in me would bet the regulars aren't Irish Republicans" with "what makes you say that?". 

• Haha 7

Mind the IRA used to occasionally meet in one of the snugs in The Crown in Belfast, according to legend. I’m not sure if the Guinness was really good or maybe they were just taking the piss