What are you drinking?

Guest alex

44 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Aye- my brother likes really peaty stuff like Lagavulin and whatever, whereas I think it’s sheep piss. 
The lighter, more honied eastern ones though…

3aa2b709eb8dc0f7225da0d376a1cb7c.gif

You know how some people like the ones heavy in the Sherry maturation, then you get the ones that like the really peaty ones, then for others it’s unseated but in American bourbon cask for the true ‘distillery character’. I like them all :lol: I did not get the peaty ones at all when I first tried them mind

35 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

He rides up every year on his Moto and does a tour of the islands. He's a top mate so £150 would be max. 

Imo opinion the stuff that retails for about half of that is about as good as it gets. You get ones c. 15-18 years of age and it’s the perfect marriage of ageing without losing too much of the character. Try and find out a brand or 3 that he likes and let me know. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

He rides up every year on his Moto and does a tour of the islands. He's a top mate so £150 would be max. 

Sorry, I don’t know about whiskey, MATE. My birthday is in June but of course you already know that, MATE.

• Haha 6

15 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

£150 spend on a mate? That's about 150 times what I spend on my mates and them on me but if you're looking for any more mates let me know. :good:

His bird is mint and hoping for a finger 😉

• Haha 5

Bottled lager from Prague my daughter’s recommendation it’s quite pleasant. Guinness is my usual drink when I am out and about. But today bottled lagers were on the menu. Stopped now as it gets a bit gassy after a while. Might have a port before bed.

Quite like a Lagavulin now and again but peaty western isles peaty stuff is far from sessionable. 

I don't have much time for the single malt debate but only because Johnnie Walker Black is the answer to every whisky question as far as I'm concerned, and if it's not available then Chivas Regal is the next best alternative. 

2 minutes ago, Surreymag said:

Bottled lager from Prague my daughter’s recommendation it’s quite pleasant. Guinness is my usual drink when I am out and about. But today bottled lagers were on the menu. Stopped now as it gets a bit gassy after a while. Might have a port before bed.

Which one? There’s a few decent Czech lagers available over here.

So far I’ve had some barrel-fermented Chenin blanc, some bloody lovely Tuscan red from LIdl, some Aldi 12 yo Speyside malt (also used in a rusty nail) and a couple of tots of Doorly’s XO. And a nice coffee. It is Xmas, I’m kidding myself. Can’t believe I forgot the Pedro Ximenez with the Xmas pudding 

11 minutes ago, Surreymag said:

It’s called Staropramen. I have never tried it before today.

I like a bit of Staropramen myself. One of those lagers that’s very good bottled but you should be able to get it on draught in plenty of bars too.

8 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Quite like a Lagavulin now and again but peaty western isles peaty stuff is far from sessionable. 

I don't have much time for the single malt debate but only because Johnnie Walker Black is the answer to every whisky question as far as I'm concerned, and if it's not available then Chivas Regal is the next best alternative. 

My lass got me some Johnnie Walker Black last Christmas and I don’t think it made it into the New Year. Unreal gear

Johnny Walker Green Label, which they do a release of every now and again is usually amazing. It’s 15 yo plus it’s a blend of 100% single malts. Only from a small amount of distilleries (the blend varies from release to release). Sometime available on Amazon for bargain prices. Black Label is very decent too though. Same Chivas Regal 12. Both make a good old fashioned as well. Edit: JW Black Label is £20 on prime atm (as is chivas regal 12)

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1