who do you think will cut it in the premiership?

Dr Gloom

with promotion looking more likely now, how many of the current squad do you think could cut it in the top flight as both first team regulars and squad players?

assuming we do go up, a lot of investment is blatantly required to give us a fighting chance of staying up, let alone challenging for a top half finish.

i would say that only harper, enrique, jonas and maybe routledge are the kind if player i'd like to see playing week in week out.

the likes of nolan, lovenkrands, guthrie, carroll, collocini and the taylors were all pretty rubbish the year we were relegated but would perhaps deserve another crack at the top flight, if only as squad players, after playing their part in taking us to the top of the table this year.

then there's the youngsters that are maybe worth keeping but have it all to prove at top flight - best, williamson, simpson etc

if you ask me, we should get rid of barton, smith, shola, butt, xisco (if we can find a buyer) and release pancrate and fitz hall.

serious investment in the squad is required when you look at that lot if we don't want to come straight back down. crying out for some centre midfielders that can run and pass, some strikers and a right back.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harper

Simpson

Saylor

Coloccini

Williamson

Enrique

Gutierrez

Routledge

Guthrie

Carroll

The likes of Raylor, Barton, Smith and Lovenkrands all could do OK.

Krul, Kadar and Ranger all could get the odd run out but got it all to prove and a long way to go.

Butt, Shola, Nolan, Hall and Best can all jog on.

If offers come in for Raylor, Smith and Barton id let them go too so long as we replace them with better quality players.

Harper will do for a season or two more

Taylor and Colo, I'm giving colo the benefit of the doubt here and hoping that he and ST can build on a good defensive season/partnership

Enrique, always rated him

Jonas, Guthrie if he can keep his current form til the end of the season I think he'll be able to make a step up next

thats all

Hall's only on loan.

Harper/S. Taylor/Enrique/Guthrie/Jonas/Carroll/Lovenkrands/maybe Routledge are the only ones I could see being PL quality. Nolan, Simpson, Colo, Williamson, Shola (only because we'll never shift him) could be squad players. Smith, Barton, Butt, R. Taylor, Best are all worthless and should be purged as soon as possible.

Lovenkrands was actually ok for us in the Prem though he did look a bit of a soft touch. We know now that he was played out of position on the left most of the time. He's a forward pure and simple, anywhere else on the pitch and he doesn't have the physicality nor experience to compete. He'll do an ok job in the Premier League as a forward balanced off the physicality of Shola or Carroll.

1st team: Harper, S. Taylor, Coloccini, Enrique, Jonas.

Maybe/Squad: Routledge, Guthrie, Lovenkrands, Nolan, Barton, Simpson, Carroll, Ameobi, Kadar, Williamson, R. Taylor.

The key for me next season will be to have the depth in all positions to have a decently feasible replacement in the case of injury. Other than that we need to have a settled team, particularly in defense, as well as a team that's capable of creating goals (ie. not a wonder pairing of Smith and Butt in the middle - though thankfully Butt will be no more next season). With Enrique, Jonas, Routledge and Lovenkrands we have a decent amount of pace in our side but I'd still like to see some additional quick players added to the mix.

Can't see Pancrate being re-signed, nor Fitz Hall. Butt will retire. Smith and Barton will remain as noone will be interested in buying them. Xisco may attract a buyer from Spain, though it will be at a large loss on that 'wise' investment, plus he'll have to take a hit on wages.

---Harper---

---NEW---Taylor---Coloccini*---Enrique---

---Routledge---Guthrie*---NEW*---Gutierrez---

-------Carroll---NEW*-------

* I wouldnt mind Williamson in there with either Saylor or Colo.

** Guthrie could be rotated with Barton or another ACM should we buy one.

*** Smith in there unless we can get a BETTER DCM or box to box midfielder...Barton could do a job.

**** Carrolls ariel ability and potential means id keep him in there and try and get another pacey striker to play alongside him, Lovenkrands could do a job.

We need without a doubt a new 1st choice RB, another experienced CB, cover for LB, cover for LM, cover for RM, a new 1st choice battling CM who can pass, possibly another CM who is creative and 2 new strikers one of which should be a new 1st choice.

Assuming Butt, Nolan, Raylor, Hall, Pancrate, and Best (5mil tops???) leave thats 6 out and 9 new recruits needed at least.

NINE NEW RECRUITS AT LEAST...when i think of it like that, although i think the basis of the team is good enough for the PL, we need ALOT of improvement to create a PL squad nevermind just a PL starting 11.

Lets say 4mil per player...9x4= 36mil - 5mil...NET: 31mil

Seriously doubt MA will spend that and thats just an average of 4mil per player which wont buy much quality tbh.

:lol:

Why do you all hate Coll so much? i mean he is proving himself so is he not worth a shot?

I hear you shamrock but going off last season he was dreadful...albeit his 1st season in england and needed time to settle, was new to the club in turmoil but all we have to go off is how he played in the PL.

Yes he has looked a class above in the CCC but the strikers in this league are wank! I hope he can take his beleif and form into the PL...only time will tell.

Why do you all hate Coll so much? i mean he is proving himself so is he not worth a shot?

I hear you shamrock but going off last season he was dreadful...albeit his 1st season in england and needed time to settle, was new to the club in turmoil but all we have to go off is how he played in the PL.

Yes he has looked a class above in the CCC but the strikers in this league are wank! I hope he can take his beleif and form into the PL...only time will tell.

shamrock :lol:

Yeah he is entitled to a shot in the PL and i myself honestly believe he will cut it.

---Harper---

*** Smith in there unless we can get a BETTER DCM or box to box midfielder...Barton could do a job.

**** Carrolls ariel ability and potential means id keep him in there and try and get another pacey striker to play alongside him, Lovenkrands could do a job.

We need without a doubt a new 1st choice RB, another experienced CB, cover for LB, cover for LM, cover for RM, a new 1st choice battling CM who can pass, possibly another CM who is creative and 2 new strikers one of which should be a new 1st choice.

Assuming Butt, Nolan, Raylor, Hall, Pancrate, and Best (5mil tops???) leave thats 6 out and 9 new recruits needed at least.

NINE NEW RECRUITS AT LEAST...when i think of it like that, although i think the basis of the team is good enough for the PL, we need ALOT of improvement to create a PL squad nevermind just a PL starting 11.

Seriously doubt MA will spend that and thats just an average of 4mil per player which wont buy much quality tbh.

i think you have a little too much faith in our current lot to perform at the highest level. we're going to need more than 3 new first-teamers to survive if you ask me.

I like Guthrie and everything but if he's going to be starting next season, he's going to need someone of real quality beside him IMO which is about as likely as rocking horse shite. Maybe if Barton can find form/a good run of games but that's looking very unlikely with his track record.

---Harper---

i think you have a little too much faith in our current lot to perform at the highest level. we're going to need more than 3 new first-teamers to survive if you ask me.

Maybe but end of the day we are not going to get rid of most of them so alot of them will be in the 1st team.

Only time will tell ay?

"The nucleus is there, there might be one or two positions we might need to review which is (manager) Chris Hughton's job. If he is going to ask for a forward or a creative midfielder then we will have to go out there and look for them." Llambias http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...ike-Ashley.html?

We'll be lucky if we sign one new player by the looks of it. Talk of wholesale changes to the squad is pie in the sky, although I agree it's badly needed.

"The nucleus is there, there might be one or two positions we might need to review which is (manager) Chris Hughton's job. If he is going to ask for a forward or a creative midfielder then we will have to go out there and look for them." Llambias http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...ike-Ashley.html?

We'll be lucky if we sign one new player by the looks of it. Talk of wholesale changes to the squad is pie in the sky, although I agree it's badly needed.

I cant quite believe im gonna say this but that interview with Llambias was pretty fair enough.

If what he said was true of course. :lol:

Harper, Steven Taylor, Enrique, Ranger, Guittierez.

Possibly Andy Carrol, who is improving and starting to impress me more than he did at first.

Thats all.

I like Guthrie and everything but if he's going to be starting next season, he's going to need someone of real quality beside him IMO which is about as likely as rocking horse shite. Maybe if Barton can find form/a good run of games but that's looking very unlikely with his track record.

I like the way he keeps his head up when he has the ball, but I don't think he is a top player, and he doesn't get from box to box enough either.

Harper, Steven Taylor, Enrique, Ranger, Guittierez.

Possibly Andy Carrol, who is improving and starting to impress me more than he did at first.

Thats all.

Ranger? :lol: He mite but he is a long way off tbh.

Pleased you put Carroll in there even if he is a "possible".

I really think he has massive potential.

I like the way he keeps his head up when he has the ball, but I don't think he is a top player, and he doesn't get from box to box enough either.

He was the one busting his arse trying to get back to cover for Simpson's crap backheader to Coloccini on the weekend. Pretty good if you ask me considering we were 6-0 up at the time and there was three defenders in a deeper position than him.

He's not a top player because he lacks explosiveness and pace. In some ways I liken him to Milner in that if he puts in the effort he's talented enough to be a very effective player.

Ranger has looked decent in the minimal run outs that he has got, but so far has lacked the finishing that will be required for a weak side in the Premiership (have to take advantage of as many of our chances as possible).

Dr Gloom I hope your name is indicative of your outlook, because your suggestion that we're going to need more than three new first teamers to survive means that we'll be going down for sure next season.

A good way to look at the value of our squad this season is to compare it to the likes of the mid-lower tabled side sin the league. Surprisingly there's quite a few that I think we could compete with currently, though I'm not up to date with many of the lesser known players in these sides.

He was the one busting his arse trying to get back to cover for Simpson's crap backheader to Coloccini on the weekend. Pretty good if you ask me considering we were 6-0 up at the time and there was three defenders in a deeper position than him.

He's not a top player because he lacks explosiveness and pace. In some ways I liken him to Milner in that if he puts in the effort he's talented enough to be a very effective player.

Ranger has looked decent in the minimal run outs that he has got, but so far has lacked the finishing that will be required for a weak side in the Premiership (have to take advantage of as many of our chances as possible).

Dr Gloom I hope your name is indicative of your outlook, because your suggestion that we're going to need more than three new first teamers to survive means that we'll be going down for sure next season.

A good way to look at the value of our squad this season is to compare it to the likes of the mid-lower tabled side sin the league. Surprisingly there's quite a few that I think we could compete with currently, though I'm not up to date with many of the lesser known players in these sides.

The squad we have rite now IS better than...

Hull

Pompey

Burnley

Wolves

Bolton

IMO

3 of them go down and lets say WBA and Forest come up with us...we are better prepared than them to stay up.

But make no mistake i do think we need a fair few new players, and should we get in what we need we COULD stay up comfortably....ok....few beers and im all accadaccafied! :lol:

Milner can run all day whereas Guthrie is a bit lacking in the engine department. Quoting one example from a match already won against 10 men to counter that is a bit ridiculous btw. I like the lad but he'll always struggle against better athletes.

Milner can run all day whereas Guthrie is a bit lacking in the engine department. Quoting one example from a match already won against 10 men to counter that is a bit ridiculous btw. I like the lad but he'll always struggle against better athletes.

I agree he certainly doesn't have the engine of Milner, but that's something that he can work on.

It's been hard to tell what he's like over 90 minutes as whenever I've seen a full match this season he's been played out of position and plainly half the time he doesn't know what to do and keeps drifting in-field. That's why, in a moment of optimism, I turned to that moment to signify his commitment. You can't say that it's anything but a good sign that he made an effort to get back to scupper their chance on goal given the circumstances of the match.

At any length I hope Hughton sticks with Guthrie in the centre till the end of the season. I honestly think that with a consistent run in the side in his preferred position he'll be capable of lifting his game to be relatively competitive in the Premier League. I have to hope that anyway as it's not like we'll be signing a better replacement.

Don't get me wrong, I'd start him in CM whenever he's fit. Commitment is one thing though and having the legs to get up and down all match is another. Based on everything I've seen so far it's a slight problem in his game and unlike you I don't really see it improving. Young players normally show it if they have it at this age. Fitness is obviously something that can be improved but naturally fitter players will have an edge on him there. I'm not saying he's the finished product, as it were, since he's still young but while he is what I'd call a 'footballer' I'd worry about him having enough strings to his bow to be a really good player in the Premier League. I know that sounds like I'm being ultra-critical and it's not really meant to be. I also appreciate he might flourish with the right sort of player alongside him rather than someone like Nolan or Smith who won't cut it next year imo (not as one of a central midfield pair anyway).

Harper, Enrique, S Taylor, Coloccini, Jonas, Carrol & Routlege (Possibly). Williamson, Lovenkrands, Barton, Simpson, Krul, Gutherie & Smith for back up.

Can't beleive so many are dismissing Colo out of hand. He is clearly a class above this league and he actually started well in the premiership before the shit hit the fan. Given that he's now had time to settle in and the club isn't in quite so much of a mess, I think he would do pretty well. Not saying he'd look as good as what he has in the CCC but he'd still look better than most defenders we've had in the top flight recently.