General Election 2010

Christmas Tree

Toontastic pre-GE Poll  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

when you look at how far apart the tory and libdem ideologies are on things like europe, immigration and nuclear weapons, you have to question howr how this alliance will ever work. will the tory backbenchers atdn for all the concessions the tory negiotiaters made to secure the allaince? the new chief whip is going to have his work cut out.

Is that from The Guardian?

no, it's from me :(

No shit? :( Should've said Grauniad.

i see what you mean. typo tastic <_<

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when you look at how far apart the tory and libdem ideologies are on things like europe, immigration and nuclear weapons, you have to question howr how this alliance will ever work. will the tory backbenchers atdn for all the concessions the tory negiotiaters made to secure the allaince? the new chief whip is going to have his work cut out.

but this could be remembered for being the moment when british politics changed and the end of the genuine right wing in as a mainstream political force. unless labour retreat to the left in opposition, which could be dangerous for their chances of winning the next election, we're potentially going to end up with three parties jostling for position in the centre ground with no real opposition other than a few lunatic fringe parties.

To be fair though (which I dont like being) The libdems and the cons did agree that cuts were the way to tackle the deficit not tax rises. The disagreement was more the timetable, and I can see how the piigs in Euroland may have concentrated their thinking.

Thats the end of my impatiality - I feel dirty

all three parties agreed cuts were inevitable - labotu too. the only difference being the tories banking overmasters wanted to start straight away while the libdems and labour wanted to secure the recovery before starting to make cuts.

interestign to note that the economy (the big issue fought in the election campaign) is the one where clegg made compromises instead of things like electoral reform and fuixed terms. cameron appears to have made more concessions but on the big issue thaat really matters, he got his way.

Tidyied.

Guest alex

but this could be remembered for being the moment when british politics changed and the end of the genuine right wing in as a mainstream political force. unless labour retreat to the left in opposition, which could be dangerous for their chances of winning the next election, we're potentially going to end up with three parties jostling for position in the centre ground with no real opposition other than a few lunatic fringe parties.

To be fair though (which I dont like being) The libdems and the cons did agree that cuts were the way to tackle the deficit not tax rises. The disagreement was more the timetable, and I can see how the piigs in Euroland may have concentrated their thinking.

all three parties agreed cuts were inevitable - labotu too. the only difference being the tories wanted to start straight away while the libdems and labour wanted to secure the recovery before starting to make cuts.

interestign to note that the economy (the big issue fought in the election campaign) is the one where clegg made compromises instead of things like electoral reform and fuixed terms. cameron appears to have made more concessions but on the big issue thaat really matters, he got his way.

Is that from The Guardian?

Last one, I promise :(

all three parties agreed cuts were inevitable - labotu too. the only difference being the tories wanted to start straight away while the libdems and labour wanted to secure the recovery before starting to make cuts.

I cant be bothered looking it up but I think the defecit reduction plans in the manifestos had Liberals 100% cuts the tories were 80:20 cuts/tax and Labour were 50:50. I could be wrong like.

Anyway Vote Clegg get Brown my arse - what a stitch up by the brothers toff

What's the point in cancelling the 3rd runway exactly?

For the environments sake?

Fuck that shit. It would have produced jobs and income. :(

Indeed...but so will the nationwide network of charge points for electric vehicles. :(

And more excuses for BA staff to strike. :(

Indeed...but so will the nationwide network of charge points for electric vehicles. <_<

Added to a massive and unprecedented increase in leccy prices along with a totally unvaunted tax on second cars. :( :(

I think that's precisely what we have yet the three main parties still believe that they're poles apart (probably because they're looking at their traditional values rather than their current ones).

Perhaps the Tories and Lib Dems have come to that realisation that they are closer than they think?

They want to be cancelling Corporation Tax and Business Tax with businesses with a turnover of less than half a mill. If they are really serious about growing the core economy.

sorry all. i'm posting in too many blogs inbetween here to spell check. should have learned how to touch type. :(

The Guardian?

:bulsh:

Edited by Dr Gloom

If we're looking for a sliver lining, with the best will in the world this won't work. Yes, we'll have a honeymoon period, but after that it'll get niggly and they'll end up fallin out...by which time a lot of Lib Dem voters will have pissed off to vote for Labour. To be honest, I think the Lib Dems were fucked whatever they did. Go with the Tories they're made to look like Camerons bitches and lose a lot votes, don't side with anyone and they're seen as bottlers, go with Labour and nothing can be achieved. Personally, I think the Lib Dem statement that Labour really weren't arsed about a coalition is probably true. I think in the long run this will benefit Labour massively and they know it. Let the Con-Lib Dem coalition implode by itself and pick up the pieces with a new leader.

There, first bit of optimism in days. :(

I've said as much earlier. Particularly the last bit. Thing is though, it hasn't just come from the Lib Dems that Labour weren't arsed. Labour have said they weren't arsed either.

It pisses me off a little though it the above is true as it shows cowardice on the part of Labour imo. Let some else make the unpopular decisions so they can score off the resulting unrest. Those decisions need making whomever is in power and in some respects - I think it should have been Labour making those decisions to repair some of the damage they played their part in.

They want to be cancelling Corporation Tax and Business Tax with businesses with a turnover of less than half a mill. If they are really serious about growing the core economy.

Yes please :(

Alex Salmond siding with neither it'd seem :(

"The Liberals have gone in with the Tories. I think they'll rue the day. The Labour Party of course had the prospect of leading that progressive alliance, but instead have chosen the safety of opposition... Well that will be remembered as well.

"So it's a great pity not just for Scotland but for people across these islands that the idea to change politics fundamentally wasn't grasped. It was a failure of political will."

Guest alex

"The Liberals have gone in with the Tories. I think they'll rue the day. The Labour Party of course had the prospect of leading that progressive alliance, but instead have chosen the safety of opposition... Well that will be remembered as well.

"So it's a great pity not just for Scotland but for people across these islands that the idea to change politics fundamentally wasn't grasped. It was a failure of political will."

Should probably assess where the support for his party has gone following their appalling showing in the election. The slimy twat.

If we're looking for a sliver lining, with the best will in the world this won't work. Yes, we'll have a honeymoon period, but after that it'll get niggly and they'll end up fallin out...by which time a lot of Lib Dem voters will have pissed off to vote for Labour. To be honest, I think the Lib Dems were fucked whatever they did. Go with the Tories they're made to look like Camerons bitches and lose a lot votes, don't side with anyone and they're seen as bottlers, go with Labour and nothing can be achieved. Personally, I think the Lib Dem statement that Labour really weren't arsed about a coalition is probably true. I think in the long run this will benefit Labour massively and they know it. Let the Con-Lib Dem coalition implode by itself and pick up the pieces with a new leader.

I've said as much earlier. Particularly the last bit. Thing is though, it hasn't just come from the Lib Dems that Labour weren't arsed. Labour have said they weren't arsed either.

It pisses me off a little though it the above is true as it shows cowardice on the part of Labour imo. Let some else make the unpopular decisions so they can score off the resulting unrest. Those decisions need making whomever is in power and in some respects - I think it should have been Labour making those decisions to repair some of the damage they played their part in.

I am pretty sure Labour would have preferred to have won the Election, and are of the opinion that their plans would have been better for the country than the libdemcon. Cowardice is a bit of a ridiculous accusation

Should probably assess where the support for his party has gone following their appalling showing in the election. The slimy twat.

Lost a hell of a lot of credibility for that stunt where they took the BBC to court IMO.

The Today Programme interviewed Angus Robertson yesterday morning and he refused to answer a question because the BBC refused to allow them a voice on April 29th. Arrogant cunt!

Fucking hell... :(

FORMER LABOUR EDUCATION MINISTER KIM HOWELLS

"There's visceral loathing between the parties in constituencies, no question about it, you know - and the Lib Dems especially.

"I tell you why it's been rejected by most Labour MPs. Because they know that they're [the Lib Dems] a bunch of opportunistic toe-rags, who'll say anything to anybody in order to get power. And they've done it this time, they've got power. Good luck to them."

I am pretty sure Labour would have preferred to have won the Election, and are of the opinion that their plans would have been better for the country than the libdemcon. Cowardice is a bit of a ridiculous accusation

This is the official position from the Lib Dem spokesperson on the Labour-Lib Dem talks, for what it's worth:

"Key members of Labour's negotiating team gave every impression of wanting the process to fail and Labour made no attempt at all to agree a common approach with the Liberal Democrats on issues such as fairer schools funding for the most deprived pupils and taking those on low incomes out of tax.

It became clear to the Liberal Democrats that certain key Labour cabinet ministers were determined to undermine any agreement by holding out on policy issues and suggesting that Labour would not deliver on proportional representation and might not marshal the votes to secure even the most modest form of electoral reform.

It is clear that some people in the Labour Party see opposition as a more attractive alternative to the challenges of creating a progressive, reforming government, not least in the context of a Labour leadership election campaign."

My suggestion of cowardice was aimed at their preference to move into opposition rather than form a coalition and implement their plan. Surely if they believed strongly enough in it, then they would have done whatever it took to action said plan - if it was for the good of the country?

What's the threshold at the moment?

£6k or summat?

£6479.

Therefore overnight when they bring this in, everyone who is on the standard code (and earns £10k or more) will suddenly get an additional £3521 before ttheyre taxed or rather, will be better off by £704.20 per year.

Thats a serious amount of money to suddenly lose from about £20m people. Unless my maths is out thats £14,000,000,000 per year. On top of that, werent the tories also going to reverse the decision to up NI by 1%? if thats the case then thats another £45 per person on that first £10k that wont be coming in (admittedly it isnt now but it was planned to be) so take another £900m just the coffers just for that £10k never mind all the earnings on top of that.

I wonder where thats going to come from then? and thats before we even start to reduce the deficit.

:(