General Election 2010

Christmas Tree

Toontastic pre-GE Poll  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest alex

Tbf, that was their stance in the run up to the election and whilst I'm no Tory, you and many other Labour supporters just come across as bitter the Lib-Dems aren't Labour's 'lapdog cunts'.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbf, that was their stance in the run up to the election and whilst I'm no Tory, you and many other Labour supporters just come across as bitter the Lib-Dems aren't Labour's 'lapdog cunts'.

Fair point.

that was one bizarrre press conference. it was set up like a wedding, a total love in. almost as if this coalition had been part of some grand plan....a 5 year plan i wonder.

The Telegraph’s James Kirkup tweets: “Oh god. The country is now being run by two characters from a Richard Curtis film.“

Fair point.

I dunno - calling the global financial meltdown following the American sub prime mortgage fiasco Labours financial crisis doesnt seem like the bright new modern consensual politics line we are being spoon fed

Guest alex

Fair point.

I'd rather have a Lib/Lab coalition myself but the latter simply didn't win enough seats.

Guest alex

Fair point.

I dunno - calling the global financial meltdown following the American sub prime mortgage fiasco Labours financial crisis doesnt seem like the bright new modern consensual politics line we are being spoon fed

They're going to present a united front though, aren't they? I take your point like.

Fair point.

They're going to present a united front though, aren't they? I take your point like.

Yeah I still object to the petty party point scoring based on what I consider a lie but I admit the bitter bit.

Fair point.

Fair enough on the united front, but the very first joint document showing such intellectual dishonesty is pretty depressing.

I'm in no way claiming Labour woud/have behaved any better obv

Fair point.

Yeah I still object to the petty party point scoring based on what I consider a lie but I admit the bitter bit.

I'm definitely bitter

were you guys watching the presser? it really was extraordinary stuff - man-love in full bloom in the PM's back garden.

there was a deliciously awkward moment when cameron was asked about a gag he cracked about clegg being his favourite joke

Guest alex

Thing is like, I would have loved to have seen all the jug-eared farmers et al exploding with indignation if the Tories had been basically stitched up and there'd been a 'Rainbow Alliance' but I think it would have been very damaging to Labour (and the Lib-Dems) in the long run. I think you'd see Tory support gained through sympathy / a sense of injustice but mainly because it would've been a proper mess with Plaid Cymru and the SNP making demands etc. You'd probably see it all fall apart and the Conservatives would reap the benefit.

I sense Mandy is quietly happy. :(

Lib Dem defections to start within weeks my dears.

I'd hoy your crystal ball in the bin if I were you Parky... :(

I sense Mandy is quietly happy. <_<

Lib Dem defections to start within weeks my dears.

I'd hoy your crystal ball in the bin if I were you Parky... :(

Really expensive it was. :( :(

when you look at how far apart the tory and libdem ideologies are on things like europe, immigration and nuclear weapons, you have to question howr how this alliance will ever work. will the tory backbenchers atdn for all the concessions the tory negiotiaters made to secure the allaince? the new chief whip is going to have his work cut out.

but this could be remembered for being the moment when british politics changed and the end of the genuine right wing in as a mainstream political force. unless labour retreat to the left in opposition, which could be dangerous for their chances of winning the next election, we're potentially going to end up with three parties jostling for position in the centre ground with no real opposition other than a few lunatic fringe parties.

Thing is like, I would have loved to have seen all the jug-eared farmers et al exploding with indignation if the Tories had been basically stitched up and there'd been a 'Rainbow Alliance' but I think it would have been very damaging to Labour (and the Lib-Dems) in the long run. I think you'd see Tory support gained through sympathy / a sense of injustice but mainly because it would've been a proper mess with Plaid Cymru and the SNP making demands etc. You'd probably see it all fall apart and the Conservatives would reap the benefit.

The Daily Mail/Sun/Telegraph would have been a beautiful sight. And even though the number of votes would in my eyes ould have been legitimate you are right about the shit sticking

an alliance of the losers would never have worked. i've got to say though, my initial disgust at the lib dems for getting into bed with the tories has eased somewhat because it could change the tories for the better.

still can't believe ham face cameron is our new pm mind.

If we're looking for a sliver lining, with the best will in the world this won't work. Yes, we'll have a honeymoon period, but after that it'll get niggly and they'll end up fallin out...by which time a lot of Lib Dem voters will have pissed off to vote for Labour. To be honest, I think the Lib Dems were fucked whatever they did. Go with the Tories they're made to look like Camerons bitches and lose a lot votes, don't side with anyone and they're seen as bottlers, go with Labour and nothing can be achieved. Personally, I think the Lib Dem statement that Labour really weren't arsed about a coalition is probably true. I think in the long run this will benefit Labour massively and they know it. Let the Con-Lib Dem coalition implode by itself and pick up the pieces with a new leader.

There, first bit of optimism in days. :(

Guest alex
when you look at how far apart the tory and libdem ideologies are on things like europe, immigration and nuclear weapons, you have to question howr how this alliance will ever work. will the tory backbenchers atdn for all the concessions the tory negiotiaters made to secure the allaince? the new chief whip is going to have his work cut out.

Is that from The Guardian?

but this could be remembered for being the moment when british politics changed and the end of the genuine right wing in as a mainstream political force. unless labour retreat to the left in opposition, which could be dangerous for their chances of winning the next election, we're potentially going to end up with three parties jostling for position in the centre ground with no real opposition other than a few lunatic fringe parties.

To be fair though (which I dont like being) The libdems and the cons did agree that cuts were the way to tackle the deficit not tax rises. The disagreement was more the timetable, and I can see how the piigs in Euroland may have concentrated their thinking.

Thats the end of my impatiality - I feel dirty

no, it's from me :(

Guest alex

no, it's from me :(

No shit? :( Should've said Grauniad.

Thing is Clegg now looks weak and changeable and these two are going to have to preside over the biggest cuts in modern history...It's what I meant by Mandy being reasonably happy. Get Milliband in and re-invent core Labour ideas.

It's getting a bit boring now with all this constant faux re-appraisal of "the new politics"...Unless we get PR it will be business as usual once the coalition breaks down.

To be fair though (which I dont like being) The libdems and the cons did agree that cuts were the way to tackle the deficit not tax rises. The disagreement was more the timetable, and I can see how the piigs in Euroland may have concentrated their thinking.

Thats the end of my impatiality - I feel dirty

all three parties agreed cuts were inevitable - labotu too. the only difference being the tories wanted to start straight away while the libdems and labour wanted to secure the recovery before starting to make cuts.

interestign to note that the economy (the big issue fought in the election campaign) is the one where clegg made compromises instead of things like electoral reform and fuixed terms. cameron appears to have made more concessions but on the big issue thaat really matters, he got his way.