Mike Ashley --- As Good As It Gets

Christmas Tree

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Barrack Road
I had a nightmare last night- I was on a flight to Oz, sat between CT and Leazes.

:icon_lol:<_<

:icon_lol: The Fish on his knees in the seat in front joining in as well, you'd be praying for engine failure.

Ultimately, in principle building for the future with kids it's all good, etc.... Then look closely. How many scouts do Arsenal have around Europe and the world? How many do we have? Everything is a facade. Where we go from here, well I keep moaning till we get someone who we can trust. What you're saying is let's get behind people who have a proven documented track record of saying things to keep the perhaps 1m plus Newcastle fans sweet. Fuck that. It's going to need more than an inevitable CCC title to sway me. A good point was made the other day by a Bristol fan on the radio, our wages amount even now must be double the next team, and at least 4 or 5 times more than every CCC club in general, it would've been a disgrace had we not went straight up. It could be argued we could've done even better this season imo.

I had a nightmare last night- I was on a flight to Oz, sat between CT and Leazes.

:icon_lol:<_<

:icon_lol: The Fish on his knees in the seat in front joining in as well, you'd be praying for engine failure.

Ultimately, in principle building for the future with kids it's all good, etc.... Then look closely. How many scouts do Arsenal have around Europe and the world? How many do we have? Everything is a facade. Where we go from here, well I keep moaning till we get someone who we can trust. What you're saying is let's get behind people who have a proven documented track record of saying things to keep the perhaps 1m plus Newcastle fans sweet. Fuck that. It's going to need more than an inevitable CCC title to sway me. A good point was made the other day by a Bristol fan on the radio, our wages amount even now must be double the next team, and at least 4 or 5 times more than every CCC club in general, it would've been a disgrace had we not went straight up. It could be argued we could've done even better this season imo.

I dont really disagree with any of that.

I also still wish Keegan was here and Ashley could have given him a fair go, however putting all of that and the history of false promises etc behind us, I was really trying to look at what it actually takes these days to break into the top six.

Most would agree that the first thing you need is a rich benefactor, followed by a good manager and good players.

If Mike Ashley is genuine this time or just wants to prove a point, this could be very good for us compared to a Barry Moat or a "Portsmouth" type arab.

Neither of the latter, in the real world, is going to get us into a position of challenging for the top 6 and Im sure thats what we all want rather than the 13 and 14th place finishes.

Ofcourse Ashley could fuck us over and sell us off to a nobody and then we really would be fucked.

I just don't get where you find this faith in Ashley given his well documented failures and his evident pig-headedness

Motivation

Wants to sell so realises we have to be succesful to attract buyers

Wants to prove all the knockers wrong which means we have to be succesful

Wants to turn over a new leaf and develop Newcastle into a top four team

All of these scenarios will benefit us.

Capabilities

Became a billionaire at 40 so a shrewd cookie, whatever you think of him

The 60th richest person in the UK

As we leave recession, his wealth will continue to rise

Has a world wide sports empire that could benefit from a connection to a successful club

Reaching the top six of the prem without a rich benefactor or years of prolonged success is nigh on impossible these days.

Alternatives

Barry "no money" Moat

NUSC

Fly by night consortiums (aka Portsmouth)

A white knight with pots of cash

Leaving the last miracle to one side, the rest could be very dangerous for us as a club in these difficult financial times and certainly would not have the readies to allow us to compete with the big boys.

If we are promoted, I would hope that he sees fit to put some long term stability in place, ideally replace Llambias and make a decent transfer kitty available.

Naturally I would not put my mortgage on him doing this, but the point of this thread, repeated, is to highlight that except for a white knight, he might be our best bet for a return to competing at the highest level.

None of that is attention seeking

Its not a wind up

Its a very straightforward argument.

:icon_lol:

He has apologised for his mistakes.

Why with the apology won't he install a recognised chairman into the hot seat to prepare the club for the return to the premiership?

Mr Lambias is completely out of his depth and has even been quoted as saying "I never said I was an expert in football clubs. I tried my best. But I accept my best was woefully short."

Its only words and trying to run the football club with professional people in charge would be a vast improvement

He has stabilised the club.

He has no other option than to do this as he owns in lock stock and barrel

He has been proved right in his decision to appoint Hughton

Chris Hughton is a fluke rather than the man primed for the roll - Remember all those top managers banging on the door as per the quote from Lambias? None, zip, zero.

Chris got the job in October simply because there was nobody else and coco kinnear was still borderline dead

He has backed Hughton in January

Realises that the best chance of returning back to the premiership is to invest now.

We are on course for a return to the premiership

Yes and I for one am bricking it. Renewed my season ticket the other day and have mixed feelings about it.

Either he will take all the ST money and bank it and try once again to sell the club without the ST money or

Give Chris a further £5.5 million and watch us get humped every week off everybody in the premiership.

And theres another thing funnily enough, if hes sorted out the finances then why the fuck do we need to flog STs now at a reduced rate?

Theres only two reasons I can see to do that, either you need the cash in now to help balance the books or you know fine well that when renewal time comes people arent going to be happy with some decision or other youve made in the preceding month(s).

Motivation

All are fucking unlikely considering hes had numerous attempts to sell and at each stage has done nothing to attract buyers, hes had numerous attempts to prove the knockers wrong and done nothing to sway them (except you). As for the last one, yeah course he has.

Capabilities

Has a world wide sports empire that could benefit from a connection to a successful club

Reaching the top six of the prem without a rich benefactor or years of prolonged success is nigh on impossible these days.

He bought the club for exactly the last reason so hes not done too good a job on it so far has he?

You also forgot......

screwed his own father out of the business

dodgy business practices

An investigation by the SFA which could see him jailed and lose his business.

Alternatives

Barry "no money" Moat

NUSC

Leaving the last miracle to one side, the rest could be very dangerous for us as a club in these difficult financial times and certainly would not have the readies to allow us to compete with the big boys.

Firstly, Moat never has and never will be a contender so lets put Billy Big Mouth Bass to bed once and for all shall we? There are numerous other potential options, none of which however I agree will touch us with a barge pole for the money he'll want for us once we're up.

If we are promoted, I would hope that he sees fit to put some long term stability in place, ideally replace Llambias and make a decent transfer kitty available.

So would I, Id also like world peace and a 18inch dick but we can all dream.

Naturally I would not put my mortgage on him doing this, but the point of this thread, repeated, is to highlight that except for a white knight, he might be our best bet for a return to competing at the highest level.

Hes not our best bet, hes currently our only bet, its like saying "Ive left the kids with Gary Glitter, the only other babysitters available were Josef Fritzel and Myra Hindley so best of a bad bunch, still lets not bother checking on them eh?"

Doesnt mean we have to forgive and forget, as long as there are fans like you, who desert the club with talk of boycotts while were in the Championship then reappear as soon as we're promoted then the likes of the fat man will have won. He knows he can do as he likes and there'll always be some mug to back him up.

Its not a wind up

Bollocks

And theres another thing funnily enough, if hes sorted out the finances then why the fuck do we need to flog STs now at a reduced rate?

Theres only two reasons I can see to do that, either you need the cash in now to help balance the books or you know fine well that when renewal time comes people arent going to be happy with some decision or other youve made in the preceding month(s).

Ahhh but remember in the words of the great Mr Llambias, those against Ashley are an extreme minority. :icon_lol:

I just don't get where you find this faith in Ashley given his well documented failures and his evident pig-headedness

Motivation

Ok, where is the evidence of any this or is it just speculation? I'm basing my opinion from the awful showing so far. Also, why in Gods name would he want to make us a top four club and then sell us? He wont make a profit, not even if he gets us to top four, because the money he's going to have to invest to get us there is massive. It's incredible to think that you truly believe that this man can take a championship squad into the Premiership and then usurp the teams above us. What possible evidence have you to support this preposterous claim. He wants to make us a top four club? that's mental.

Top four under Ashley is not realistic. It's madness.

Capabilities

He may be very shrewd in the sports retail outlet sphere, but, as has been proven, he's terrible in the football game. Ignoring the cohesion of the management team, forgetting the balance of power, blatantly lying to the public, throwing money when it's foolish and failing to when it's imperative, the list goes on.

The bit in red is one thing I do agree with, but I do not believe Mike Ashley is a benefactor.

Alternatives

Barry "no money" Moat

NUSC

I think there are other options that you've not considered. Consortium who are not fly-by-night, P Diddy :icon_lol:

Its not a wind up

If we are promoted I hope the same things that you do; the end of Llambias, invest about £30m for the squad (in addition to any fees recouped) and stays out the fucking press.

However, I have no faith in the man what-so-ever. He may be man enough to apologise for his mistakes and he may be man enough to get an average Newcastle side out of an awful league, but he's not the man to take us to the top four... I'd be amazed if he was the man to do anything with our club other than return it to whence it came; the mid-table doldrums.

Doesnt mean we have to forgive and forget, as long as there are fans like you, who desert the club with talk of boycotts while were in the Championship then reappear as soon as we're promoted then the likes of the fat man will have won. He knows he can do as he likes and there'll always be some mug to back him up.

This kind of us vs him attitude is childish at best. For Ashley it's a business. The best thing for his business is for the club to be doing well. If it's not it's ultimately costing him money. Being relegated to the championship was obviously not what Ashley wanted, it would have turned out to be one very expensive lesson for him (don't sell when you should be buying, and don't rely on shit overpaid past it crocks). He's still got a lot to learn - like to appoint honest, trustworthy people in positions of power but he knows now that he can't simply 'do as he likes' as no matter how many mugs there are to 'back him up' there's no money in running a club poorly and bugger all in running it well thanks to the overinflated prices of players.

Financial year end?

Financial year end?

Yep, bringing money forward to help balance books, thats not good business, people slated Shepherd for buying England strikers using sponsorship money yet again however we're getting in future ST money early which means it wont be available come next seasons transfers.

Financial year end?

Oh dear.

Financial year end?

You do realise you're putting that argument to the tax man, right? :icon_lol:

This kind of us vs him attitude is childish at best. For Ashley it's a business. The best thing for his business is for the club to be doing well. If it's not it's ultimately costing him money. Being relegated to the championship was obviously not what Ashley wanted, it would have turned out to be one very expensive lesson for him (don't sell when you should be buying, and don't rely on shit overpaid past it crocks). He's still got a lot to learn - like to appoint honest, trustworthy people in positions of power but he knows now that he can't simply 'do as he likes' as no matter how many mugs there are to 'back him up' there's no money in running a club poorly and bugger all in running it well thanks to the overinflated prices of players.

Well said.

Financial year end?

You do realise that this is a common business practice to drag forward as much revenue as possible into the year about to end. :icon_lol:

Motivation

All are fucking unlikely considering hes had numerous attempts to sell and at each stage has done nothing to attract buyers, hes had numerous attempts to prove the knockers wrong and done nothing to sway them (except you). As for the last one, yeah course he has.

Capabilities

He bought the club for exactly the last reason so hes not done too good a job on it so far has he?

You also forgot......

screwed his own father out of the business

dodgy business practices

An investigation by the SFA which could see him jailed and lose his business.

Alternatives

Barry "no money" Moat

NUSC

Firstly, Moat never has and never will be a contender so lets put Billy Big Mouth Bass to bed once and for all shall we? There are numerous other potential options, none of which however I agree will touch us with a barge pole for the money he'll want for us once we're up.

So would I, Id also like world peace and a 18inch dick but we can all dream.

Hes not our best bet, hes currently our only bet, its like saying "Ive left the kids with Gary Glitter, the only other babysitters available were Josef Fritzel and Myra Hindley so best of a bad bunch, still lets not bother checking on them eh?"

Its not a wind up

Bollocks

Its hard trying to reply to you because you are currently posting like some teenage internet warrior.

I appreciate you are running for election but KISS

Financial year end?

You do realise that this is a common business practice to drag forward as much revenue as possible into the year about to end. :icon_lol:

You mean deferred income? Which is of course a liability.

Financial year end?

You mean deferred income? Which is of course a liability.

???

Dont know about that....

Surely if the tickets are sold in this financial year it is not deferred?

It is deferred as it is money received for goods and services not yet provided. It'll be in the accounts but it'll be labeled as deferred income, it isn't a simple way of fooling banks etc. that we're doing better than we are.

It is deferred as it is money received for goods and services not yet provided. It'll be in the accounts but it'll be labeled as deferred income, it isn't a simple way of fooling banks etc. that we're doing better than we are.

So is it a benefit to have it in the accounts? Will Ashley or more importantly his FD see the accounts as being improved with this money in?