Mike Ashley --- As Good As It Gets

Christmas Tree

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet to be proved?? Fucking hell man we went through managers last year like hot dinners, mainly because we couldn't attract a decent one on account of the lunatics running the asylum. We had the same issues with players - the decent players we had were alienated and left in January for relatively pittance and the club ended up flushing itself out of the Premiership. The one manager who was showing promise (take it the draw at OT is eradicated from your mind?) was considered less important to the running of the club than a couple of crooks posing as South American agents who basically the club took a bung from. Then rather than admit they were wrong and negotiate KK's return, they think "fuck that" and the club ends up being dragged through a tribunal it was never going to win.

All in all it put as back at least 5 years which just happens to be the same timescale as 'the plan' does it not?

And STILL idiots like you think they've got out best interests at heart. How much more fucking up are you looking for?

So stop whinging (again) and just tell me what the long term damage is.

We (hopefully) will be back up in a few months on a much stronger financial footing.

Clearly a wind-up thread, but:

llambias wasn't here when he appointed wite/jimenez/vetere.

It's not like he's made one decision that's pissed off the fanbase, it's continued awful, ill-thoughtout decision-making that seems almost deliberately designed to alienated and piss off his 'customers', us.

The Keegan enquiry proved un-arguably that this regime has deliberately lied and attemted to mislead its fans, the press and its own employees.

They've said sorry.... get over it.

Didnt Shepherd call Newcastle women dogs and laugh at the fans because he could rip them off with £5 tat shirts and then slag off Shearer????

When? And even if they did a snivelling, mealy-mouthed, insincere apology hardly makes up for the long-term damage they've done to NUFC.

Dodgy, untrustworthy, classless liars who've made a packet selling sweatshop-made polyester tat to chavs, with no connection to the area? No thanks.

Long term damage has yet to be proved and could infact be quite the opposite.

So you will only settle for Geordie owners?

So getting relegated is good for a club? That'll be a comfort to Hull and Portsmouth fans.

Given the choice, I'd rather have owners who had an emotional connection to the club.

You said long term damage. I dont yet see any long term damage. Infact a lot would say getting back up leaner and meaner is a blessing.

But please tell me what the long term damage is?

I am trying to understand some of the doom mongers, honest.

Are you naive enough to assume that if we're back in the Premiership next season, it'll be just as it was at the start of the 08/09 season and it'll be like the period September 2008 - May 2009 never happened?

Christ almighty... :icon_lol:

It's not like he's made one decision that's pissed off the fanbase, it's continued awful, ill-thoughtout decision-making that seems almost deliberately designed to alienated and piss off his 'customers', us.

The Keegan enquiry proved un-arguably that this regime has deliberately lied and attemted to mislead its fans, the press and its own employees.

Didnt Shepherd call Newcastle women dogs and laugh at the fans because he could rip them off with £5 tat shirts and then slag off Shearer????

When? And even if they did a snivelling, mealy-mouthed, insincere apology hardly makes up for the long-term damage they've done to NUFC.

Dodgy, untrustworthy, classless liars who've made a packet selling sweatshop-made polyester tat to chavs, with no connection to the area? No thanks.

So getting relegated is good for a club? That'll be a comfort to Hull and Portsmouth fans.

Given the choice, I'd rather have owners who had an emotional connection to the club.

You said long term damage. I dont yet see any long term damage. Infact a lot would say getting back up leaner and meaner is a blessing.

Are you naive enough to assume that if we're back in the Premiership next season, it'll be just as it was at the start of the 08/09 season and it'll be like the period September 2008 - May 2009 never happened?

I simply just asked what the long term damage will be. Fucking simple question really :icon_lol:

I simply just asked what the long term damage will be. Fucking simple question really :icon_lol:

Lost millions, gone from being a club that played in europe something like 13 seasons out of 16 to one that should be "satisfied" with 17th, one that sold out every home game to one with 10000 empty seats sometimes. The long term damage is that we've gone from being regularly top 6-8 and attracting top, top players to one that is a million miles away from that. Fucking simple answer really <_<

Lost millions, gone from being a club that played in europe something like 13 seasons out of 16 to one that should be "satisfied" with 17th, one that sold out every home game to one with 10000 empty seats sometimes. The long term damage is that we've gone from being regularly top 6-8 and attracting top, top players to one that is a million miles away from that. Fucking simple answer really <_<

This!

And all that happened after Ashley.

You have just simply highlighted the usual "sheep" hysteria.

We were dying a death under Fat Fred, heading for relegation under Fat Sam, possible going Bust.......NOT REGULARLY FINISHING IN THE TOP 6. Those days had goooooooooonnnnnnnnnneeeeeee!!!!!!

The last roll of the dice was future cash on Owen and look what happened there.

Seriously, try and discuss things from reality and you will have much more chance of convincing people.

So, in your opinion, was the best course of action to stop trying to compete and settle for an austerity era which included plucking a joke of a manager, who hadn't been heard of for literally years since a heart attack, and ended up in relegation?

Ashley has it all to prove, but you are kinding yourself if you dont think the club was on the slide before he took over.

I'm in the pro-ashley camp because i dont think he done anything wrong. That siad, he's still got a lot of work to do to even get on level pegging as the old regime.

So, in your opinion, was the best course of action to stop trying to compete and settle for an austerity era which included plucking a joke of a manager, who hadn't been heard of for literally years since a heart attack, and ended up in relegation?

There were lots of possible best courses of action but that still doesnt excuse you and others re-writing history in these sort of debates.

Shepherd should have appointed a David Dein type figure when we were succesful.

That was the biggest clanger in our recent history. That could have made us a regular top four side instead of a crap, overpaid team scrapping round the foot of the table.

But all of that is water under the bridge and there is no point constantly harking backwards.

He's now created stability and got us heading back to the prem.

No one else wants us.

Ashley has it all to prove, but you are kinding yourself if you dont think the club was on the slide before he took over.

I'm in the pro-ashley camp because i dont think he done anything wrong. That siad, he's still got a lot of work to do to even get on level pegging as the old regime.

:icon_lol: I don't think even CT would claim he hasn't done anything wrong.

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

In heinsight sure, but that heinsight for you.

Basically the bloke got out of his depth. He thought he was laying good foundations to take the club forward over a period of years whether that be increasing the family section or trying to put some order to transfers, youth policy etc.

Had Harry come instead of Keegan it may have turned out much better, but once the shit storm of Keegangate kicked off he has constantly being on the back foot.

For me he gets one last summer to prove he's serious about taking us forward.

And it continued its slide into the Championship under his running.

...and thankfully we are going back up. So what is your point??

FACT

The club was in a bad position when Mike Ashley took over.

FACT

If Ashley wasn't so incompetent and reckless and actually looked over the books he would not have bought the club.

FACT

Ashley thought the club was a play-thing with which he could do what he pleased, and employ who he pleased. It was all one very expensive lark.

FACT

When things turned bad and he was called out on his unprofessional running of the club (in this case by Keegan) Ashley had no idea what to do, and with the fun gone he lost interest in the club.

FACT

With interest lost it was up to the team of people who Ashley had employed to continue running the club. They needed to do it without spending as when Ashley lost interest he didn't want to spend anything on the club.

FACT

Ashley thought he'd be able to sell the club off without making a loss. Unfortunately for him noone else is that financially reckless or weren't willing to play his inflated price which was set not by the actual value of the Club, but by the value that Ashley required to break even.

FACT

In the meantime the club was going to shit. All the while Ashley and the cronies he had elected felt that they would somehow avoid relegation and that because of that everything would be ok.

FACT

When the threat of relegation because incredibly real to even the most ignorant and thick of bastards Ashley panicked. It was too late to do anything in terms of playing personnel so instead he brought in Shearer.

FACT

When relegation occurred Mike Ashley realised the extent of his series of fuck-ups.

FACT

As a result of the vastly diminished value of his asset Ashley set about trying to address the inbalance in wages. He hoped that having done so his club would still be good enough to earn promotion. He put his eggs in the cheap basket of Chris Hughton, as he's a guy who noone could really hate, and would hopefully do a job for a moderate wage.

FACT

By luck or by sheer gulf in quality (or some combination) Newcastle performed quite well in the Championship. The results created a confidence that had been lacking from the club for some time.

FACT

Even with the team sitting pretty at the top of the table Ashley now appreciated that in football you can't take anything for granted and so invested a little more money into the side to help ensure that promotion was a more likely outcome.

I honestly think that although he has fucked up monumentally on a number of occassions he will have learnt some very valuable lessons. The main problem as I see it is that I don't think he'll have any ambition greater than survival/mid-table comfort. He'll have no emotional attachment to the club particularly given the (somewhate understandable) malice of some of the supporters.

From a supporters perspective though there is no alternative to Mike Ashley. He is the owner and will continue to be for some years to come so far as I can see. Personal hatred of the man aside desiring his financial downfall is akin to wanting the club to become more of a financial ruins. When it comes down to it I think you need to separate Ashley from the club. Newcastle United was here long before Ashley was here, and it will be there long after he leaves.

Was that supposed to remind everyone of...

● It is a fact that Keegan was allowed to manage his duties without interference.

● It is a fact that he agreed not to talk to the media in relation to the acquisition or disposal of players.

● It is a fact that Kevin Keegan worked within that structure from 16th January 2008 until his resignation.

● It is a fact that Kevin Keegan, as manager, had specific duties in that he was responsible for the training, coaching, selection and motivation of the team.

● It is a fact that NUFC is a business and operates, like all businesses, with financial constraints.

● It is a fact that NUFC's financial constraints inform its transfer dealings.

● It is a fact that Keegan was allowed to manage his duties without interference.

● It is a fact that he agreed not to talk to the media in relation to the acquisition or disposal of players.

● It is a fact that Kevin Keegan worked within that structure from 16th January 2008 until his resignation.

● It is a fact that Kevin Keegan, as manager, had specific duties in that he was responsible for the training, coaching, selection and motivation of the team.

● It is a fact that NUFC is a business and operates, like all businesses, with financial constraints.

Some of the kids forget that though sadly, they've been brainwashed like the good little puppies they are. Basically if they're fed shit for long enough they start to think that's how it should be.

Incidentally I'm still not sold on this idea of how we were sliding in to oblivion and Ashley saved us. Most Premiership clubs have a managed debt and we were no exception, I've read nothing anywhere that fortifies this alleged downward financial spiral we were supposedly on. All I've heard is hearsay and accusations.

Edited by Armchair Pundit

Some of the kids forget that though sadly, they've been brainwashed like the good little puppies they are. Basically if they're fed shit for long enough they start to think that's how it should be.

Incidentally I'm still not sold on this idea of how we were sliding in to oblivion and Ashley saved us. Most Premiership clubs have a managed debt and we were no exception, I've read nothing anywhere that fortifies this alleged downward financial spiral we were supposedly on. All I've heard is hearsay and accusations.

Truly staggering

wheres that quote "the club admitted it had repeatedly misled etc etc"

since then there has been no change of tack, no change in the drivel coming out of the club, why should we suddenly believe?

Manager appointed to gain promotion

Manager backed in January window

Major players not sold in January

you've overstepped the WUM marker CT.

Tedious in the extreme now.

Talk about the Halls and Shepherd ffs, now THEY gave us something worth supporting.

Im talking about the current Leazes , not fucking history. Hall and Shepherd are as relevant to today as Malcolm McDonald.

And I am talking about ambition, and desire for success.

You are getting tedious, and obviously a WUM..

Your credibility will dive if you keep up spouting this shite

And Leazes would know about that :icon_lol:

I am one of the few people who correctly called Ashley, and got the Halls and Shepherd into the correct perspective.

Its quite refreshing that you have admitted elsewhere you got them wrong, and yet still say that I am spouting rubbish.

You should admit that I was right, and bow down to someone who had superior judgement :icon_lol:

wheres that quote "the club admitted it had repeatedly misled etc etc"

since then there has been no change of tack, no change in the drivel coming out of the club, why should we suddenly believe?

Manager appointed to gain promotion

Manager backed in January window

Major players not sold in January

you've overstepped the WUM marker CT.

Tedious in the extreme now.

Talk about the Halls and Shepherd ffs, now THEY gave us something worth supporting.

Im talking about the current Leazes , not fucking history. Hall and Shepherd are as relevant to today as Malcolm McDonald.

And I am talking about ambition, and desire for success.

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: <_< As much as I'd like to plod on, I know where this is heading and I simply have lost the will to discuss those unmentionables with you.

Better men than me have tried and failed.

You win.

And Leazes would know about that :icon_lol:

I am one of the few people who correctly called Ashley, and got the Halls and Shepherd into the correct perspective.

Its quite refreshing that you have admitted elsewhere you got them wrong, and yet still say that I am spouting rubbish.

You should admit that I was right, and bow down to someone who had superior judgement :icon_lol:

Shit Im going to bite........

Pop the link in where you correctly called Ashley.