Leeds United

Guest Barrack Road

Thing is, they'd probably have won more if they weren't so hated. Nobody ever lay down for them. Good, because I fucking hate them.

Same here, they deserved the name "Dirty Leeds" and deserved to miss out on the number of trophies they shouldhave won because they were an awful, dirty bunch of bastards with a complete cunt for a manager. They could play great football so there was no need for the entire team to be the way they were which meant any admiritation you had for their football went out the indow because they were such a disgrace. Cloughy had them right and of course made a point of tellimg them all when he took over as boss, which they didn't like! :lol:

Other teams would have their hard man/hard men (or thugs, depending on your view) and their footballers, Revie and Leeds decided to have a team full of pricks and deserve any stick they get.

Put it this way, Clough got football 'right', Revie got it wrong imo.

Exactly, and its why Cloughie is remembered as a legend and Revie isn't outside of Leeds. Its one of the many reasons Keegan and his team deserved a trophy here for playing lovely football, no nastiness or cheating, no bothering refs and players who weren't arseholes.

Cloughie got football right? That's why he had the nastiest, dirtiest player in his day playing for him. A right cunt that cost us one of the best players we've ever produced.

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Cloughie got football right? That's why he had the nastiest, dirtiest player in his day playing for him. A right cunt that cost us one of the best players we've ever produced.

His sides played the right way though. Everyone had hard men back in those days as has been mentioned. His side would have been walked all over without the likes of Kenny Burns. Doesn't mean he didn't have the right ethos about the way the game should be played. Tbh though, you'd argue shite was sugar.

Edited by alex

His sides played the right way though. Everyone had hard men back in those days as has been mentioned. His side would have been walked all over without the likes of Kenny Burns. Doesn't mean he didn't have the right ethos about the way the game should be played. Tbh though, you'd argue shite was sugar.

Im not going to sniffers for tea :lol:

Thanks for agreeing with me. It must be killing you. :lol:

Thanks for agreeing with me. It must be killing you. :lol:

Getting him to agree with you has hardly been the achievement of the fucking century though is it? You might as well put "the pope is catholic" as your opening argument tbh

Thanks for agreeing with me. It must be killing you. :)

So he did get football 'right' then? Ok. :lol:

Excuse my ignorance, but who and who?

Well the dirty player is Kenny Burns - not sure who he's supposed to have maimed mind you...

Jim Smith broke Tony Want's leg in a midweek Anglo Italian game at SJP against Birmingham, on the saturday we played away to Birmingham and the game was only minutes old when Burns injured Irving Nattrass's cartilage in his knee.

Didn't finish his career though, and he was still a class player but stepped up later to sign for the smoggies, such was the woeful club that NUFC was then, relegated etc after the Gordon Lee fiasco when he also left us for Everton which resulted in the players strike, of which Nattrass was one of the spokesmen, along with Alan Kennedy as 2 local lads.

As you are also aware, LM, Nattrass was never the same player after that. Still good, but not as good.

not sure I agree, that injury was in 1973 and he was still class for 4-5 more years before he went to the smogs, but it was a bad injury.

As you are also aware, LM, Nattrass was never the same player after that. Still good, but not as good.

not sure I agree, that injury was in 1973 and he was still class for 4-5 more years before he went to the smogs, but it was a bad injury.

So well before the time that Cloughie was managing Kenny Burns? :lol:

So well before the time that Cloughie was managing Kenny Burns? :lol:

yes. I don't see what that matters, but I've just looked up the dates.

We played Birmingham as follows (all 1973)

Oct 24 (a) 1-1 (Texaco Cup 1st leg)

Oct 30 (a) 2-2 (League Cup)

Nov 7 (h) 0-1 (replay)

Nov 28 (h) 1-1 (Texaco Cup 2nd leg, abandoned)

Nov 30 (h) 3-1 (texaco Cup 2nd Leg, replay)

Dec 8 (a) 0-1 (League)

I THINK (from memory) Tony Want had his leg broken in the game on Nov 30th and Nattrass was done by Burns in retaliation on Dec 8th.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...#story_continue

Cup finals were the wrong way around

United joyously won their way to two Wembley cup finals within two years in the mid-seventies.

Injury prevented Irving Nattrass playing in one, but he made the other despite a second injury problem.

Nattrass missed the 1974 FA Cup final against Liverpool and played in the 1976 League Cup final when Manchester City provided the opposition. The only thing is, Irving reckons it should have been the other way round!

"I should have played in 74 but not a couple of seasons later when I plainly wasn't fit," he maintained.

The infamous pitch battles with Birmingham City led to Nattrass missing out on Wembley the first time.

"We had a series of terrible run-ins with Birmingham," he said. "Some of the tackling would never be allowed these days. I tore my ligaments down there in the December.

"When we played Brum again up here in the Texaco Cup, Jinky Smith broke Tony Want's leg - the snap could be heard all round the ground.

"I heard it 60 yards away. But what folk didn't realise was that Want had done Jinky's big mate Tommy Gibb and then went over the top on Stewart Barrowclough and the ref didn't see it.

"Anyway, I was out from the Burns incident and Joe Harvey had written me off for the season, when in reality I was fit a month before Wembley.

"However, Joe didn't want any new selection problems so he switched Frank Clark to right-back and brought in Alan Kennedy - David Craig missed both cup finals with hamstring problems."

By the time Newcastle returned to the twin towers Gordon Lee had taken over from Harvey.

"I tweaked my knee at Leeds when we played a second FA Cup replay against Bolton on a neutral ground," explained Nattrass.

"That was on the Tuesday and the League Cup final was on the Saturday. Our skipper, Geoff Nulty, was out with a broken jaw and a load of players were down with a virus.

"We were in terrible trouble, there was no recovery time for me, and I told the gaffer on the Saturday morning I shouldn't play.

"But he pressed me to go out and said if I broke down after five minutes so be it.

"I actually lasted the full 90 but I couldn't cross the halfway line. A big part of my game as a right-back was attacking, but I simply couldn't get up and down.

Edited by LeazesMag

• 3 months later...
Guest Gordon McKeag

Got beat 4-0 at Oldham the other night, hopefully its not an Orient style springboard. Their best 11 is pretty shite, I guarantee they won't come up. Could be a relegation battle in store.

Got beat 4-0 at Oldham the other night, hopefully its not an Orient style springboard. Their best 11 is pretty shite, I guarantee they won't come up. Could be a relegation battle in store.

here's hoping. can't stand leeds!

Guest Gordon McKeag
I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say I'd feel really sorry to see Leeds, and Ken Bates get relegated this coming season :icon_lol:.

They're not really a miss to the Premiership like we were. It was only one season, and even people who hate us from many hundreds of miles away were saying it en masse. It wasn't a proper Premiership last season, I think I watched MOTD once.