Liverpool up for sale

Sonatine

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tuco Ramirez
Wasn't the new stadium not getting built basically the catalyst for all this?

(Well that and selling Xabi Alonso- whoops. Bet they wish they had a mulligan on that one.)

What's a mulligan?

(Well that and selling Xabi Alonso- whoops. Bet they wish they had a mulligan on that one.)

What's a mulligan?

An informal rule in golf that if you fuck up your shot badly you just take it again.

What's a mulligan?

To have another shot at it (golf term).

Right. Like a do-over.

"do-over"....Slack Americanism. :icon_lol:

I take it your not a friend of Bob? Had you pegged wrong, Parky. :(

BTW... From- http://golf.about.com/cs/historyofgolf/a/hist_mulligan.htm

"Mulligan," in its golf sense, is a relatively new word, but was in common use on golf courses by at least the 1940s.

And there are many, many stories about the birth of the golf term "mulligan" ... and it's quite possible that none of them are true.

Because nobody really knows how mulligan acquired its golf meaning (a mulligan, of course, is a "do-over" - hit a bad shot, take a mulligan and try again). All we have are ... those stories. And we'll tell a few of them here.

The USGA Museum offers several possible explanations. In one, a fellow by the name of David Mulligan frequented St. Lambert Country Club in Montreal, Quebec, during the 1920s. Mulligan let it rip off the tee one day, wasn't happy with the results, re-teed, and hit again. According to the story, he called it a "correction shot," but his partners thought a better name was needed and dubbed it a "mulligan."

Perhaps because Mr. Mulligan was a prominent businessman - owning multiple hotels - the term was more likely to catch on. But that's only if you believe this version. Which, alas, does not have any hard evidence to support it. (The USGA Web Site actually provides two other alternate versions of the David Mulligan story - the origins of "mulligan" are so mysterious that the same story winds up with three different versions!)

Another story cited by the USGA is of a John "Buddy" Mulligan, known for replaying poor shots at Essex Fells Country Clubs in N.J.

Another interesting theory is related by the Web site, StraightDope.com. Responding to a question about the origins of "mulligan" (a common Irish name and, remember, the Northeastern U.S. was heavily Irish in the early part of the 20th Century), StraightDope.com replied, "Another origin theory ties to the period when Irish-Americans were joining fancy country clubs and were derided as incompetent golfers. That would make the term basically an ethnic slur that caught on, like 'Indian summer' or 'Dutch treat.' "

The "Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins" offers a more prosaic explanation. It postulates the word derives from saloons that, back in the day, would place a free bottle of booze on the bar for customers to dip into. That free bottle was called, according to the book, a Mulligan. The term was adapted to the golf course to denote a "freebie" to be used by golfers.

Back on topic- was watching Sky on my way out of the house, they say the sale is final. The group that owns the Boston Red Sox are now owners of Liverpool.

Edited by Cid_MCDP

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...ool/9064599.stm

Liverpool are to be sold to the owners of the Boston Red Sox baseball team.

But the takeover by the New England Sports Ventures requires resolution of a legal dispute with the Reds' American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

The Premier League hopes to "complete all the necessary processes by Friday 8 October so the sale can proceed".

Hicks and Gillett tried to sack managing director Christian Purslow and commercial director Ian Ayre in a last-ditch bid to keep control.

In an attempt to block any sale and regain control of the crisis-hit club, Liverpool's much-criticised owners tried to replace Purslow and Ayre with Hicks's son, Mack Hicks, and Lori Kay McCutcheon, a vice president at Hicks Holdings.

Hicks and Gillett are understood to have argued that the club's English directors were not acting in the best interests of Liverpool and that the NESV bid - as well another undisclosed offer from Asia - "dramatically undervalued the club".

Purslow, Ayre and chairman Martin Broughton are now consulting lawyers over whether they can resist the owners' attempts to replace them and force through a sale.

"I am only disappointed that the owners have tried everything to prevent the deal from happening and that we need to go through legal proceedings in order to complete the sale," said Broughton, who has met with representative from NESV over the past few weeks.

NESV is thought to be offering about £300m for the club, enough to pay back the £240m of loans and £40m of fees owed to Royal Bank of Scotland, which must be settled by 15 October else a penalty fee of £60m will be due.

The legal dispute over board membership will be a key part of whether the sale actually goes ahead, although with an 15 October deadline looming for the RBS debt to be refinanced, advantage seems to be with the prospective owners rather than incumbents.

"The legal battle is critical," said Wyn Grant, professor of football economics at Warwick University. "If the NESV deal doesn't go through RBS may ultimately intervene.

can the Board sell the assets without the approval of the shareholders???

Broadly speaking the board has to make decisions that are in the interests of the shareholders. The board clearly feel that this offer best meets the requirements previously set out by the shareholders. Hicks and Gillet disagree, hence why they're trying to fill the board with their lackeys but the current board are arguing that they agreed not to do this when they recruited their current chairman. I'm guessing the court case will come down as to whether they're able to get rid of a couple of the current members and replace them with two who are willing to block the bid.

can the Board sell the assets without the approval of the shareholders???

Broadly speaking the board has to make decisions that are in the interests of the shareholders. The board clearly feel that this offer best meets the requirements previously set out by the shareholders. Hicks and Gillet disagree, hence why they're trying to fill the board with their lackeys but the current board are arguing that they agreed not to do this when they recruited their current chairman. I'm guessing the court case will come down as to whether they're able to get rid of a couple of the current members and replace them with two who are willing to block the bid.

I've really begun to take a shine to these two yanks. :(

Cant imagine I'd be too happy about this if I were a Liverpool supporter. Its just another set of Yanks that have bought the clubs, and theres nothing they can do about the squad until January.

They have half the money Ashley does and will be looking to turn a profit as the main investor is a hedge fund = fucked. :(

Cant imagine I'd be too happy about this if I were a Liverpool supporter. Its just another set of Yanks that have bought the clubs, and theres nothing they can do about the squad until January.

They have half the money Ashley does and will be looking to turn a profit as the main investor is a hedge fund = fucked. :icon_lol:

As much as you may wish it (as I do) it won't happen, the Dippers have been as spawny as fuck since I was a bairn :icon_lol::(:icon_lol:

They have half the money Ashley does and will be looking to turn a profit as the main investor is a hedge fund = fucked. :icon_lol:

As much as you may wish it (as I do) it won't happen, the Dippers have been as spawny as fuck since I was a bairn :icon_lol::(:icon_lol:

We'll see. But as far as new owners go, they could have been much luckier than they have been.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

What are your thoughts on Pacinofan's inability and refusal to discuss why Liverpool fans are hated around the country?

What are your thoughts on Pacinofan's inability and refusal to discuss why Liverpool fans are hated around the country?

What, you mean the bit about how they are the "do no wrong, darlings of the media", despite their interminable wailing and gnashing of teeth and having significant blood on their hands, and stuff like that.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

What, you mean the bit about how they are the "do no wrong, darlings of the media", despite their interminable wailing and gnashing of teeth and having significant blood on their hands, and stuff like that.

Aye. Why do you think he find it difficult to find the reasons why everyone else think they're twats?