Liverpool up for sale

Sonatine

Liverpool could face points deduction

Liverpool are likely to face a nine-point deduction if parent company Kop Holdings goes into administration.

League rules say a deduction can be applied if a parent company insolvency is caused by the club's management.

Sources suggest owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett would struggle to argue that the running of the football club has not affected the holding company.

Liverpool could enter administration if a sale to the owners of the Boston Red Sox is not completed by 15 October.

If Hicks and Gillett manage to block a £300m takeover of the club by New England Sports Ventures (NESV), their holding company could be put into administration by the Royal Bank of Scotland as a result of their £280m debts.

The Premier League board, which comprises chief executive Richard Scudmore, chairman Sir Dave Richards and secretary Mike Foster, would then decide whether to dock points.

Liverpool are already in the bottom three of the Premier League after a dismal start to the season, amassing only six points from their opening seven games.

Initially, it was thought the Reds would avoid a points penalty but the club now faces the very real possibility of a deduction if a sale to NESV is delayed.

Liverpool's fate rests on the outcome of a declaratory judgement in the High Court next week over whether the club can be sold to NESV despite the objection of the club's owners.

An appeal is likely regardless of the High Court ruling, with no outcome likely before the 15 October refinancing deadline set by RBS, the club's major creditor.

RBS will have the choice to waive their demand for repayment until the legal dispute is finalised, or call in the debt and place the parent company into administration.

Portsmouth became the first Premier League club to enter administration earlier this year and automatically received a nine-point reduction, condemning them to relegation.

In a similar case, West Ham avoided a penalty when their holding company went into administration in 2009.

That is because the London club was just one of several interests in the portfolio of Straumur, the Icelandic bank.

However, also in 2009, Southampton were docked 10 points by the Football League after their parent company Southampton Leisure Holdings went into administration, as a League investigation found they were "inextricably linked as one economic entity". That was a decision taken by the Football League rather than the Premier League.

Meanwhile, John W Henry and the other directors of NESV are expected to pass the league's new 'owners and directors' test, making official approval of the takeover a formality.

Bring it on... :(

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying I think Roy Hodgson is any good but pretty soon we'll start with the booing and we really WILL be Newcastle United! Is that what we should be aspiring to?

We've never called for a managers head after 7 games. In fact Gullit's record in 99/00 was 0 1 7, yet he got applauded in the car park when he left. I hate these cunts so much. The only manager I truly wanted rid of was Souness, and even then our patience was pushed so far, they wouldn't have put up with FSA CGS RG as long as we did that's a fact.

Newcastle never had our class, our quality, our history or our integrity. The comparison is lazy.

Their class, hounding a manager who brung them 6 trophies in 4 years, who had a heart attack and almost died, out of the club for ONLY coming 5th, then the next year HIS team win the biggest trophy of the lot. Their quality, don't know what that means but other than maybe 7 seasons they've had better sides than us over the last 50 years. Their history, up to 1971 we had a richer history than them they far suppass us now though so I'll give them that one.

Their dignity is the best one. No club in world football has the blood on their hands that they do. Callously causing the deaths of 39 innocent football fans in a cowardly charge, then having the audacity to blame, Chelsea, the stadium, the fuckin NF and everyone but themselves. Cowardly stealing tickets off their own fans on the biggest night of their lives in Athens. Now I make no bones about this we are better people than them, this has never and would never happen with us so it can't be dismissed as high spirits. Also do they not learn, they lost 96 of their own and stormed the gates in Athens, there were many thousands more in the ground than should have been. They are the most downtrodden set of wanks this country has ever or will ever know, fuckin dignity, the utter ignorance is astonishing.

You’re known for wanting rid of managers and not giving them time to build. You would say you had cast iron reasons for wanting rid, but like with most football clubs it’s only really the fans OF THAT CLUB who know the truth of what’s going on and what they’re watching every other Saturday.

Your hate is very apparent and I'd be very worried if I was that obsessed about another team and it's fans.. There is nothing Liverpool fans do that could possibly meet with your approval. The hate, bile and jealousy from you is the most hideous thing on this site. Yes, there’s others on here that hate us but it’s a pretty healthy hate imo. Yours is just plain ugly.

Roy Hodgson, imo, is the worst manager that’s ever walked in to Anfield and the politics surrounding his appointment stinks to high heaven. His tactics are worse than Houlliers in his last two years. He keeps telling us that he shouldn’t be questioned because he’s one of the most respected coaches in Europe and his tactics have transferred from Timbuktu to the rest of the world, wherever. His tactics consist of two banks of four, the back four just in front of the penalty box and the midfield just in front of them. They then mark space waiting for the opposition to attack, when they hopefully win the ball and hoof it up to Torres who has four defenders around him, or to whichever player he’s supposedly playing in the hole which for Roy is the halfway line. It has nothing to do with we're we are in the table, nor even to do with winning anything. Usually with a new manager you can see what he's trying to do within a few games, you see positives that you know will get better over the season. There is nothing like that, it's just defend, defend, defend and nobody can see it going anywhere.

Houllier didn’t have a heart attack, he had a leaking heart valve and though he recovered he was never the same again. There were many who were sad to see him go but he had the team going backwards in those two years after his illness, and it was time for him to go. Nothing to do with coming 5th, the decision was made at board room level long before that because of his developing paranoia and marginalising of players. If his team was capable of winning the CL why didn’t he do it? It was more the addition of two Benitez players in Luis Garcia and Xabi Alonso that took us to the final, plus the fact that he’d given Carragher a settled place in the team at CB in which he reveled that season. Benitez and that team won the Champions League, no-one else.

Callously? You are a nutter, you weren’t there and believe me, shamefully there was no cowardice about the charge. Again, you weren’t there so haven’t got a clue what the stadium was like. There were no gates at Athens. I have never seen anyone downtrodden in this city and the rest of your opinion is truly ironic.

Why do you need to pick this year or that year to show you won some trophies, it's really pathetically small time, we'd won 7 league titles by '71, we were on our way to dominating European and domestic football, get over it.

Edited by Pacinofan

Pacino Fan,

As I'm sure you're aware, your mate Tom Hicks has a bit of 'history' on Tyneside after he got rid of hundreds of workers at Via Sytems South Shields & Longbenton sites and tried his damnest to wriggle out paying them any compensation or redundancy.

I know people (both Newcastle & Sunderland supporters) who protested against this both on Tyneside and in Liverpool before matches against you.

Both sets of supporters have told me that in every case the scousers laughed at them, took the piss and waved their stars & stripes flags in their faces.

If you're looking for sympathy from the geordies & mackems then you'll have a fucking long wait I'm afraid.

Firstly, I'm not looking for sympathy from anyone why would I? I do know how badly he let former workers of Viasystems down, it was flagged among reds fans as a caution to take on board among all the 'we'll buy snoogy doogy' shite.

I don't know anyone who laughed at protesters and I honestly never saw more than a few stars and stripes flags even in the early days. That's not to say I disbelieve you, of course I do, you have no reason to lie. I personally have given support both physically and financially to many workers protests up and down the country, I can only say I'm sorry that such honest workers were treated with such disdain in this city which will usually get behind any injustice.

OK, so Hicks and Gillett have gone to court to stop RBS or the board selling the club to NESV. If they win, and the move is blocked, then RBS will call the administrators in, and get as much of the debt from the holding company. Is that right?

If so, I hope they prove to be as stubborn, pig headed and plain stupid as they have previously been, and it leads to -9 points.

i quite like them TBH -they always play the role of jesters to the rest of us...........

unless it's the media, then it's "Let's all laugh at the Geordies and their misfortune" :(

Plain and simply, I just fucking hate scousers

I think a scouser fucked his wife and he ran away because the scouser was a cage fighter. The only way he's knows how to fight is behind a keyboard.

You can't post for shit :(

OK, so Hicks and Gillett have gone to court to stop RBS or the board selling the club to NESV. If they win, and the move is blocked, then RBS will call the administrators in, and get as much of the debt from the holding company. Is that right?

If so, I hope they prove to be as stubborn, pig headed and plain stupid as they have previously been, and it leads to -9 points.

NESV have now gone on record saying that 9 point deduction would be a deal-breaker. Can definitely see Hicks steamrollering Kop Holdings into administration just to get rid of the blokes that he feels are ripping him off with a below-standard price. He's certainly stupid, narrow minded and stubborn enough.

Something that does piss me off about all this is the fact that Broughton (it seems) got written undertakings from the owners that only he had the power to change the board and that the yanks would not interfere in any reasonable sale. So why the fuck didn't the bloke who was 'conducting' :( our sale get similar undertakings?

I'm not saying I think Roy Hodgson is any good but pretty soon we'll start with the booing and we really WILL be Newcastle United! Is that what we should be aspiring to?

We've never called for a managers head after 7 games. In fact Gullit's record in 99/00 was 0 1 7, yet he got applauded in the car park when he left. I hate these cunts so much. The only manager I truly wanted rid of was Souness, and even then our patience was pushed so far, they wouldn't have put up with FSA CGS RG as long as we did that's a fact.

Newcastle never had our class, our quality, our history or our integrity. The comparison is lazy.

Their class, hounding a manager who brung them 6 trophies in 4 years, who had a heart attack and almost died, out of the club for ONLY coming 5th, then the next year HIS team win the biggest trophy of the lot. Their quality, don't know what that means but other than maybe 7 seasons they've had better sides than us over the last 50 years. Their history, up to 1971 we had a richer history than them they far suppass us now though so I'll give them that one.

Their dignity is the best one. No club in world football has the blood on their hands that they do. Callously causing the deaths of 39 innocent football fans in a cowardly charge, then having the audacity to blame, Chelsea, the stadium, the fuckin NF and everyone but themselves. Cowardly stealing tickets off their own fans on the biggest night of their lives in Athens. Now I make no bones about this we are better people than them, this has never and would never happen with us so it can't be dismissed as high spirits. Also do they not learn, they lost 96 of their own and stormed the gates in Athens, there were many thousands more in the ground than should have been. They are the most downtrodden set of wanks this country has ever or will ever know, fuckin dignity, the utter ignorance is astonishing.

You’re known for wanting rid of managers and not giving them time to build. You would say you had cast iron reasons for wanting rid, but like with most football clubs it’s only really the fans OF THAT CLUB who know the truth of what’s going on and what they’re watching every other Saturday.

Your hate is very apparent and I'd be very worried if I was that obsessed about another team and it's fans.. There is nothing Liverpool fans do that could possibly meet with your approval. The hate, bile and jealousy from you is the most hideous thing on this site. Yes, there’s others on here that hate us but it’s a pretty healthy hate imo. Yours is just plain ugly.

Roy Hodgson, imo, is the worst manager that’s ever walked in to Anfield and the politics surrounding his appointment stinks to high heaven. His tactics are worse than Houlliers in his last two years. He keeps telling us that he shouldn’t be questioned because he’s one of the most respected coaches in Europe and his tactics have transferred from Timbuktu to the rest of the world, wherever. His tactics consist of two banks of four, the back four just in front of the penalty box and the midfield just in front of them. They then mark space waiting for the opposition to attack, when they hopefully win the ball and hoof it up to Torres who has four defenders around him, or to whichever player he’s supposedly playing in the hole which for Roy is the halfway line. It has nothing to do with we're we are in the table, nor even to do with winning anything. Usually with a new manager you can see what he's trying to do within a few games, you see positives that you know will get better over the season. There is nothing like that, it's just defend, defend, defend and nobody can see it going anywhere.

Houllier didn’t have a heart attack, he had a leaking heart valve and though he recovered he was never the same again. There were many who were sad to see him go but he had the team going backwards in those two years after his illness, and it was time for him to go. Nothing to do with coming 5th, the decision was made at board room level long before that because of his developing paranoia and marginalising of players. If his team was capable of winning the CL why didn’t he do it? It was more the addition of two Benitez players in Luis Garcia and Xabi Alonso that took us to the final, plus the fact that he’d given Carragher a settled place in the team at CB in which he reveled that season. Benitez and that team won the Champions League, no-one else.

Callously? You are a nutter, you weren’t there and believe me, shamefully there was no cowardice about the charge. Again, you weren’t there so haven’t got a clue what the stadium was like. There were no gates at Athens. I have never seen anyone downtrodden in this city and the rest of your opinion is truly ironic.

Why do you need to pick this year or that year to show you won some trophies, it's really pathetically small time, we'd won 7 league titles by '71, we were on our way to dominating European and domestic football, get over it.

Think the players are to blame for Liv current predicamet rather than Roy. He's earnt his chance at a big club and nothing of what he's upto will emerge in the side till he's been given at least 6-9 months. Liv main problem is the players look jaded and uninterested and don't seem to fancz a season in which thez are going to have to roll their sleeves up. Gerrard is slowlz but surelz becoming shit.

Not sure Gerrard's on the way down yet (not seen enough of him of late to comment) but he's been the major difference between them being a good side and a decidedly average side for what seems like ages. He's 30 now as well.

Think the players are to blame for Liv current predicamet rather than Roy. He's earnt his chance at a big club and nothing of what he's upto will emerge in the side till he's been given at least 6-9 months. Liv main problem is the players look jaded and uninterested and don't seem to fancz a season in which thez are going to have to roll their sleeves up. Gerrard is slowlz but surelz becoming shit.

Disagree with that to some extent Park Life. The players should take some of the blame, but it's Hodgson who picks them, sets them up, and sends them out to his game plan, which is quite frankly Wimbledon style. We were told he was the man who would get the best out of the players, would put an arm around the shoulder and be a cool calm head in the present air of not knowing what our future would be. Very far from it, there's been none of that ' new manager, team play well with feel good factor' they've played the worse football I've ever seen at Anfield, as did his Fulham team last season.

His press conferences are an embarrassment, his getting rid of Insua and Aquilani ( who, over his injury, was starting to look good in the last part of the season) bringing in Konchesky and Poulsen, going after Carlton Cole all point to a mid table manager with little ambition. Not that I think star players would have come to Liverpool without CL, but fuck me, Fulham replaced Konchesky with a much better player and for less money.

He supposedly bought Mereilles, who at 27 is a well established midfielder, so why would Hodgson play him in a position the lad has never played in all his footballing life?

When clubs look for a new manager they usually look for one who has similar ideas and similar systems to the previous manager so he's able to take the same players, add one or two, and take them forward. Hodgson wants to get rid of any players who can play a bit of football and replace them with hoofers which is why he continually plays Carra with Skrtl and calls Daniel Agger a part of his B team.

Benitez could be described as a defensive manager but his teams controlled games, were always pressing. Hodgsons main objective is to defend and if you can break away in the second half then do it.

He's not a manager who embraces modern systems or tactics and very much believes his own publicity. A run to the EURO final doesn't a great manager make, imho.

“Unbelievable,” said the Liverpool manager, when asked whether his approach could be applied on Merseyside as effectively as it was in west London. “How many clubs have I had in 35 years? What do you mean, do my methods translate? They translated from Halmstads to Malmo to Orebro to Neuchâtel Xamax to the Swiss national team.

“The question is quite frankly insulting, I suppose. That question is suggesting something. To suggest that suddenly because you move from one club to another, the methods that have stood you in good stead for 35 years and made you one of the most respected coaches in the Europe suddenly do not work. I find it very, very hard to believe that someone has even asked me that question.”

This may be of interest, it's long but it's a good analysis of Hodgsons short time at Anfield.

Comparison of Benitez and Hodgson tactics.

Not sure Gerrard's on the way down yet (not seen enough of him of late to comment) but he's been the major difference between them being a good side and a decidedly average side for what seems like ages. He's 30 now as well.

As you say he's 30, he's not as good as he was but still has a lot to offer.

For you it's Gerrard makes the difference, for others it's Torres, for Martin Tylers monkey and the rest of the 'professional' pundits we were a one man team and when we lost Alonso, that was it. :(

I think the best teams have always had their share of great players, decent players, and water carriers.

For you it's Gerrard makes the difference, for others it's Torres, for Martin Tylers monkey and the rest of the 'professional' pundits we were a one man team and when we lost Alonso, that was it. :(

I think the best teams have always had their share of great players, decent players, and water carriers.

Obviously you've got other good players. In the case of Alonso you lost an important player and Torres is class as well, although you'd probably need to go back to the season before last to see the best of him on a consistent basis (I know he's been injured a lot and has struggled to get fully fit). I just think Gerrard's probably been the most important of the lot and, without wishing to get too into cliche territory, is the one player who can really make a difference when the chips are down etc. Or to put it another way he's your most important player for me.

Alonso for me was the lynchpin for the whole side - yet Gerrard and (to a lesser extent) Torres always took the plaudits.

I think Stevie mentioned earlier that Liverpool won the CL with Houllier's side. In the large yes it was.. but Alonso was a massive addition to that side (and Luis Garcia for that matter).

Xabi Alonso by a country mile was Liverpool's best signing in the last 20 years for me.

Obviously you've got other good players. In the case of Alonso you lost an important player and Torres is class as well, although you'd probably need to go back to the season before last to see the best of him on a consistent basis (I know he's been injured a lot and has struggled to get fully fit). I just think Gerrard's probably been the most important of the lot and, without wishing to get too into cliche territory, is the one player who can really make a difference when the chips are down etc. Or to put it another way he's your most important player for me.

They've missed Hyppia as well. he may well have been old and slow, but he can defend, proven by the way he played in the bundesliga over the last season or so. way better than skrtel.

Benitez was essentially the Spanish Allardyce. Their tactics under him involved getting ten big men standing about kicking the ball into touch first-time, and then waiting for Gerrard to run into the box and fall over for the penalty. Glass man Torres is a good striker but other than that their squad consists of cloggers primarily.

When clubs look for a new manager they usually look for one who has similar ideas and similar systems to the previous manager so he's able to take the same players, add one or two, and take them forward. Hodgson wants to get rid of any players who can play a bit of football and replace them with hoofers which is why he continually plays Carra with Skrtl and calls Daniel Agger a part of his B team.

Literally the opposite way Newcastle have appointed managers over the past 20 years.