Spain win 2010 WORLD CUP.

Park Life

Having been an NFL fan for decades and on message boards since they were old and clunky I have seen a huge change in the average "yank" attitude to football.

This was illustrated amply last week when on a national blog/rumour site that I read, the site posted a World Cup "so what" piece in the old "it's boring and no-one scores" style. The reply comments went through the roof and were hugely disdainfull of the writers point of view.

The day when the US takes over the world of football is ever nearer unfortunately.

what do you care? you have no allegiance when it comes to international football anyway

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been an NFL fan for decades and on message boards since they were old and clunky I have seen a huge change in the average "yank" attitude to football.

This was illustrated amply last week when on a national blog/rumour site that I read, the site posted a World Cup "so what" piece in the old "it's boring and no-one scores" style. The reply comments went through the roof and were hugely disdainfull of the writers point of view.

The day when the US takes over the world of football is ever nearer unfortunately.

what do you care? you have no allegiance when it comes to international football anyway

I'm talking about league football, where do you think all the overpaid prima donnas will go when there's more dosh available. Baseball is dying on it's arse and so there's a gap emerging, if the yanks put their mind to it.................

Oh and skidmark, by saying it'll never happen illustrates who the real tool is, you're worse than Kevin tbh

I'm talking about league football, where do you think all the overpaid prima donnas will go when there's more dosh available. Baseball is dying on it's arse and so there's a gap emerging, if the yanks put their mind to it.................

Oh and skidmark, by saying it'll never happen illustrates who the real tool is, you're worse than Kevin tbh

Give me reasons why it will be then ;)

It won't happen cos their system isn't set up to allow it. We have lads like Rooney who are with professional clubs from their early teens, and are playing in the Premiership at 17. The yanks all go through college scholarships and as a result they'll never produce star players in the way that other nations do. They'll always have to rely on being a strong team with great spirit and all that shit, which only gets you so far.

Give me reasons why it will be then ;)

OK Kevin Part Deux, if you can't see it you're blind.

Virtually all the kids play it now and there's bazillions of the bassas

There's already a pro league that looks like it'll survive

The "Football is crap" generation is a dying breed

The USA team got to the final of the confed cup (beating Spain on the way and leading Brazil in the final) and they've just topped their group at the WC and the players comprising that team come from a generation in which soccer was seen as insignificant.

When the yanks put their mind to a sport, they throw inestimable buckets of cash at it, and they'll want the best.

It really is only a matter of time, the momentum is there.

Oh and you really shouldn't cheek your elders, little boy.

Edited by Toonpack

TP is right. Football will one day be flooded with candy bon bons and girls in short skirts and playoffs eastern zone ya'll. ;) America has taken every single significant cultural aspect of Europe, colonized it with idiocy and destroyed it...from Cinema to music.

Edited by Park Life

You're talking pure shit ;)

Where do you think the predominance of modern art over traditional painting in Europe started?

Where do you think Hollywood got all its ideas from to regurgitate back at us as formulaic tedium?

Where do you think the pre-dominance of rap and hip hop that has laid waste to the planet started? :icon_lol:

Yes sweetheart Amerikkka.

Edited by Park Life

Brazil have consistently been one of the best if not the best international team in the world, they have millions of football lovers there - Americans warming to the sport isn't enough to tip it to take over Uefa, it just won't happen, ever. America is always going to have shitter sports rivalling it, yank football, basketball, hockey, ice hockey - even fucking pro wrestling - stop being a tool.

Brazil have consistently been one of the best if not the best international team in the world, they have millions of football lovers there - Americans warming to the sport isn't enough to tip it to take over Uefa, it just won't happen, ever. America is always going to have shitter sports rivalling it, yank football, basketball, hockey, ice hockey - even fucking pro wrestling - stop being a tool.

That would be an aggression too far for me.

Thank god for yank football. ;)

Football is never going to be that cool with the kids either, my brothers from the hood aren't going to be giving up Basketball for a whiteboy sport anytime soon I'm sure, which means rappers won't be rapping about it, which means the young black athletic american streetwise kids aren't going to be playing it. I think 'soccer' to them is a bit like cricket is to us, a bit of a middle class wankers sport.

Meanwhile.... someone reminded me of this clip earlier - I'd forgotten about how outrageous the Cameroon tackling was in that game. ;)

Can't see them being world beaters as long as the other sports take the best athletes. Also, I see them as being a bit like a Scandinavian national side - tough to beat, hard working, but essentially lacking the class to be the best. I don't think that's changed significantly since '94 either. I'm sure people were saying they'd take over the world soon when the NASL was at its peak with Beckenbauer and Pele etc. playing to massive crowds. In the end the 'big three' sports will always outshine football imo.

Can't see them being world beaters as long as the other sports take the best athletes. Also, I see them as being a bit like a Scandinavian national side - tough to beat, hard working, but essentially lacking the class to be the best. I don't think that's changed significantly since '94 either. I'm sure people were saying they'd take over the world soon when the NASL was at its peak with Beckenbauer and Pele etc. playing to massive crowds. In the end the 'big three' sports will always outshine football imo.

Aye we've been listening to this "once the americans take an interest it's all over" argument for years. They just never get that interested.

Aye we've been listening to this "once the americans take an interest it's all over" argument for years. They just never get that interested.

Thing is though, it's fundamentally changed over there, the kids are playing in en masse there'll be a real market for it (and everything is down to the market over there).

It was a case of trying to convert the ignorrant previously, now they'll be preaching to the converted.

I used to think it would never happen, but now I firmly believe the opposite.

And while I'm on:

FoG

Thing is though, it's fundamentally changed over there, the kids are playing in en masse there'll be a real market for it (and everything is down to the market over there).

That's not a new thing though. It's been the number 1 participation sport for ages. The system over there will still send the cream of the crop into the basketball, baseball and egg-chasing for the foreseeable. It's basically played by posh kids (private schools are well into it as the insurance for 'football' is way too high) and lasses.

That's not a new thing though. It's been the number 1 participation sport for ages. The system over there will still send the cream of the crop into the basketball, baseball and egg-chasing for the foreseeable. It's basically played by posh kids (private schools are well into it as the insurance for 'football' is way too high) and lasses.

Lampard went to private school.

Lampard went to private school.

Sorry Tarquin, no offence. It doesn't preclude you from being a good player. But that wasn't my point. Vialli's aristocracy ffs.

Edited by alex

Yes sweetheart Amerikkka.

Damn, Parky! You blast hip hop then start quoting Ice Cube? What up with that cracka? ;)

Me personally, I love that soccer/ football isn't more popular here. It's like hockey in that the few people that are into it, are really into it. Sure, you get your occasional bandwaggoners, but when I take in a match at one of the local bars or like when me and my buddy that looks like Malcom Glazer went to the USMNT v Honduras match, the people you meet there are into it, man. They aren't there because the guys from the office are going or it's somebody's bachelor party or some other stupid bullshit like that- they're there because they want to be there. Not because it's the "cool" thing to do.

I hope it stays the fourth or fifth popular sport over here, personally. I hope the damn celebrities stay away- I don't want to see Jack Nicholson on the sidelines at an L.A. Galaxy match. Fuck 'em. And all the internet haters that don't get it, that's fine! Stay away (American) football fans! Keep your kids out of this "pussy sport." I hope I never go to a match and have to listen to morons scream at the refs because they don't understand the rules. I'd be totally cool with that.

As long as we can field a competitive team, as long as we have a few of our guys playing around the world in top leagues, I'm fine with that.

In regard to academies and college sports and all, that is an extremely valid point. Now, that's not to say that clubs won't open up academies here in the States (I think Barca and Chivas already have some, maybe Arsenal too?), but yeah, the way American sports are structured, kids play in college, adults play in the minors or majors. Hockey is different as some American kids will go play in the semi-pro kid leagues up in Canada (the QMJHL, the OHL, etc.), but that's largely to improve their draft ranking more than anything and you don't see the actual blue-chip type kids who are in national development do that kind of thing. College sports are a whole other ridiculousness though and I'll close before I get completely off-topic on that rant.

Anyhizzle- good on ya, you managed to turn it around and make it out of Groups. Have fun with the Jormans. :icon_lol: