Spain win 2010 WORLD CUP.

Park Life

Thing is though, it's fundamentally changed over there, the kids are playing in en masse there'll be a real market for it (and everything is down to the market over there).

That's not a new thing though. It's been the number 1 participation sport for ages. The system over there will still send the cream of the crop into the basketball, baseball and egg-chasing for the foreseeable. It's basically played by posh kids (private schools are well into it as the insurance for 'football' is way too high) and lasses.

Lampard went to private school.

Sorry Tarquin, no offence. It doesn't preclude you from being a good player. But that wasn't my point. Vialli's aristocracy ffs.

;)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is though, it's fundamentally changed over there, the kids are playing in en masse there'll be a real market for it (and everything is down to the market over there).

That's not a new thing though. It's been the number 1 participation sport for ages. The system over there will still send the cream of the crop into the basketball, baseball and egg-chasing for the foreseeable. It's basically played by posh kids (private schools are well into it as the insurance for 'football' is way too high) and lasses.

Two things that make it slightly different this time though is there's a fairly legitimate professional league here now and the sport is actually on TV. I played as a kid, but honest-to-God, I don't think I ever actually saw a match on TV until World Cup '94. Obviously you gotta play and have good coaches and whatnot, but I'm a firm believer in you have to see people playing on TV to get better, and although MLS is probably about 10th in league competitiveness compared to the rest of the world, at least it's a league, at least the teams that are still around seem to be making some money, and at least it's on TV.

I tell ya though, and Parky will love this, but as this country's economy gets more and more in the toilet with every passing year, you're going to see more American kids playing football simply because their parents can't afford all the gear and league fees for the other sports. Guy I work with here at the plant has absolutely no interest in football, but his kid brought home a sign up sheet for baseball (which my co-worker loves) and a form for football.

He hated to do it, but he signed his kid up for football. It was $50 cheaper and obviously the equipment purchase made even more economic sense. I LOLed. ;)

Another thing is the standard of coaching. What's that like? I could imagine it being better than here, but then again it's shite here at grassroots level. Do you think that could ever match up what exists in Spain, the Netherlands and so on, Cid? Genuine question as I have no idea. I also heard you had rolling subs in kids' matches which obviously makes for a faster, less technical game. Is that still true?

Two things that make it slightly different this time though is there's a fairly legitimate professional league here now and the sport is actually on TV. I played as a kid, but honest-to-God, I don't think I ever actually saw a match on TV until World Cup '94. Obviously you gotta play and have good coaches and whatnot, but I'm a firm believer in you have to see people playing on TV to get better, and although MLS is probably about 10th in league competitiveness compared to the rest of the world, at least it's a league, at least the teams that are still around seem to be making some money, and at least it's on TV.

I tell ya though, and Parky will love this, but as this country's economy gets more and more in the toilet with every passing year, you're going to see more American kids playing football simply because their parents can't afford all the gear and league fees for the other sports. Guy I work with here at the plant has absolutely no interest in football, but his kid brought home a sign up sheet for baseball (which my co-worker loves) and a form for football.

He hated to do it, but he signed his kid up for football. It was $50 cheaper and obviously the equipment purchase made even more economic sense. I LOLed. ;)

If America/ns get into football in the right way as per your personal predilictions etc, I don't have a problem with that, after all it is a game the whole world should enjoy and to a degree all the fifa bullshit about it bringing people together has some truth to it. What I don't want is the sport being harmed by any wierd rule changes to accomodate America (like 3 half an hour halves to accomodate advertising) or somesuch shit like that. For me I think at some point in the not too distant future American sides will be on an equal footing with African sides, like Mexico, Japan and SK have gone up a gear this world cup and the last decade.

Another thing is the standard of coaching. What's that like? I could imagine it being better than here, but then again it's shite here at grassroots level. Do you think that could ever match up what exists in Spain, the Netherlands and so on, Cid? Genuine question as I have no idea. I also heard you had rolling subs in kids' matches which obviously makes for a faster, less technical game. Is that still true?

It very much depends on where you're playing at.

Certain areas of the country (St. Louis is probably the biggest one) have massive support for their youth leagues and are affiliated with the USMNT/ US Soccer. Those leagues are for reals. Most of the country though, it's basically just recreation or activity for the kids to keep them off the couch.

I'm not going to make my kid play any sport, but if he chooses to play football, Evansville has a US Soccer sponsored youth development league that starts teaching the game to them at a very young age. Again though, that's probably mainly because football is a big deal at the local university. Most towns in the US, it's just going to be farting around most likely. It is changing though.

There's this weird mechanic over here in some kids' leagues where the parents don't want their kids to feel like failures, so they don't keep score. I know, I know. Those are the kinds of places you see shit like rolling subs and everybody playing every position and all. Just as USMNT sponsored youth leagues aren't really the norm for the majority of the country, I'd say those goofball feel-good leagues aren't the norm either, but they are out there.

Certain areas of the country (St. Louis is probably the biggest one) have massive support for their youth leagues and are affiliated with the USMNT/ US Soccer. Those leagues are for reals. Most of the country though, it's basically just recreation or activity for the kids to keep them off the couch.

I'm not going to make my kid play any sport, but if he chooses to play football, Evansville has a US Soccer sponsored youth development league that starts teaching the game to them at a very young age. Again though, that's probably mainly because football is a big deal at the local university. Most towns in the US, it's just going to be farting around most likely. It is changing though.

There's this weird mechanic over here in some kids' leagues where the parents don't want their kids to feel like failures, so they don't keep score. I know, I know. Those are the kinds of places you see shit like rolling subs and everybody playing every position and all. Just as USMNT sponsored youth leagues aren't really the norm for the majority of the country, I'd say those goofball feel-good leagues aren't the norm either, but they are out there.

Oh my goodness. No wonder it's treated like a wuss's sport over there.

I was watching King of the Hill in an episode where Bobby takes up football. The teams are given weak, boring names like 'the wind', the shorts are tiny and draws are celebrated like wins.

Despite being fully aware that it's a comedy I kept saying "It's... It's Not like that at all!"

Edited by Zebra

I would have thought with all the immigration from Italy and Germany, the sport would have taken more of a hold. How long has American football been going anyway ten years? And who made that up? ;)

If America/ns get into football in the right way as per your personal predilictions etc, I don't have a problem with that, after all it is a game the whole world should enjoy and to a degree all the fifa bullshit about it bringing people together has some truth to it. What I don't want is the sport being harmed by any wierd rule changes to accomodate America (like 3 half an hour halves to accomodate advertising) or somesuch shit like that. For me I think at some point in the not too distant future American sides will be on an equal footing with African sides, like Mexico, Japan and SK have gone up a gear this world cup and the last decade.

I agree. The sport's been basically the same for over 100 years, I'd hope we'd leave it alone.

I have some hope for this happening. To my knowledge, MLS doesn't have any strange rules to try and satisfy the North American audience, really the only thing strange about that league is the season and that's because some of those teams still play in NFL stadiums, so they try not to conflict with American Football (more however, are finding it profitable enough to build their own stadiums, which is nice).

The only thing I'd say has a real shot at getting added would be some kind of video replay/ review for recent and obvious reasons. Again though- it's just a chance. I'd be very surprised to see any massive rule changes simply because it makes it tougher for us to compete on the world stage or in international club competitions and while there might be enough money to make somebody think about justifying some goofy change, if we're not good enough to be in those competitions or don't have a shot in hell at winning, people generally won't watch, so it becomes a moot point anyway.

Oh my goodness. No wonder it's treated like a wuss's sport over there.

I was watching King of the Hill in an episode where Bobby takes up football. The teams are given weak, boring names like 'the wind', the shorts are tiny and draws are celebrated like wins.

Despite being fully aware that it's a comedy I kept saying "It's... It's Not like that at all!"

It isn't just football, they do it in baseball too I know.

Some people over here are stupid, man. They think pro wrestling is real, NASCAR is a sport, and football is for pussies. I can't explain it and don't even really attempt to anymore.

As far as the immigration comment, I don't think that many Italians and Germans are coming here anymore, although the hispanic and latin folks that are emigrating to the US in large numbers do bring their love of the game with them... I think that's the real reason all the rednecks hate the Mexicans coming here so much- those dudes don't play American football, they play the other kind. ;)

I don't know how long American football has been around for. I'm sure there's a Wiki on it. I think the pro league(s) started up in the 40's or the 50's. Out of the 4 main American sports, American football always appealed the least to me. I was really into baseball as a kid, then the NBA and NHL in high school, then I sorta got bored with the NBA once the draft eligibility got all stupid post Kobe Bryant. The NFL I just follow enough to be able to strike up or participate in conversations. Still follow the NHL rabidly.

The last 2 posts make no sense.

EDIT the ones before hush-puppy's.

Mine? :icon_lol:

I thought you were referring to Parky's comments about immigration from Italy, not the fact that they had just conceded. Or maybe you were?

You know what, it doesnt matter ;)

The last 2 posts make no sense.

EDIT the ones before hush-puppy's.

Mine? :)

I thought you were referring to Parky's comments about immigration from Italy, not the fact that they had just conceded. Or maybe you were?

You know what, it doesnt matter ;)

:icon_lol:

;) Guess who put a fiver on 2-0 @ 8-1

(I also put money on 2-1 Italy and 1-1 like, but still... :icon_lol: )

Hope it finishes 3-0 even more now.

... fuck :)