Favourite Pubs

Park Life

Newcastle Arms for me, and I still love going into the Strawberry after work during the week when it's really quiet.

When I still lived in Newcastle it was a regular friday lunchtime trip to the Strawberry. Used to do quality chilli nachos.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we've gone to Prague we've stayed outside the City Centre and this is the local boozer;

DSC08114_640x480.jpg

It was quality, open all the time, proper Czech lager on tap in huge glasses, about a £1 a pint (was 70p a pint first time we went), barmaid brought them over, Sport on the big screens all the time and a bookies in the back. Marvellous.

Spectacularly specific, but the Old Bridge Inn in Ripponden, West Yorkshire, is lovely - the very epitome of an English country pub in a picturesque location. Cracking beer selection too.

I've been to Barcelona 5 times now and there's a cafe/bar right at the bottom of the Ramblas opposite the roundabout which we called the Leching bar - spend hours/days just sitting ther watching women walking past.

Edited by NJS

Renton, your best bet in London is finding a Sam Smith pub.

other than that what kind of pub are you after? non-touristy, or something more specific?

other than that what kind of pub are you after? non-touristy, or something more specific?

Something specific - nudge nudge, wink wink.

No, just somewhere for drink/food before and after gigs, footy, or plays, or somewhere to rest my weary feet and read a paper in the West End as Mrs R wreaks havoc with the credit card in Armani. Or any really top pubs off the tourist trail as well I guess. I guess Camden came up as the drinking area of choice for a night out after David Kelly's thread? Ages since I was last there.

As for cities, Nice and Cannes are just about my favourite for bars to chill out to and watch the world go by. Expensive though. And Brussels is the best place I have been to for beer. Simply amazing quality and variety.

Brew all their own stuff and excellent it is too. :o

The Jon Snow near poland street in Soho is a good Sam Smith drinker (if you don't mind some of the arty types who get in there). Dangerous mind at £2.20 odd a pint.

Something specific - nudge nudge, wink wink.

No, just somewhere for drink/food before and after gigs, footy, or plays, or somewhere to rest my weary feet and read a paper in the West End as Mrs R wreaks havoc with the credit card in Armani. Or any really top pubs off the tourist trail as well I guess. I guess Camden came up as the drinking area of choice for a night out after David Kelly's thread? Ages since I was last there.

Another one for the list if you're in Soho - in my very humble one, at least - is the Crown & Two Chairmen on Dean Street. Extensive range of draught beers if you're into your wanky German/Belgian shit etc., decent atmosphere downstairs and a quieter room upstairs.

Down South

Love the The Pot Kiln, near Yattendon

1247777712_the-pot-kiln_1.jpg

Hideously touristy but I like the Argyll Arms just next to Oxford Circus tube

756a1127608a7434539f200b3f98f285.jpg

Up North

The Tyne is a favourite on a Sunday afternoon

Free Trade for the view

The Badger for food

The Twin Farms, cos it's the local

The Badger for food

The Badger is canny enough but its part of a chain iirc. There seems to be a massive shortage of independent pubs doing decent food in this region, especially in and around Newcastle and North Tyneside. Anybody got any foody recommendations?

The Badger for food

The Badger is canny enough but its part of a chain iirc. There seems to be a massive shortage of independent pubs doing decent food in this region, especially in and around Newcastle and North Tyneside. Anybody got any foody recommendations?

Shiremoor Farm has decent bait for a pub, beer's not too shabby either.

The Badger for food

That's my local food pub of choice but it can get really packed. It's not great for veggies either tbh (for the wife, not me). Went to the Pavillion the other day and it was poor, although it had the bonus that the waitresses apparently weren't wearing skirts. Also went to the Maggy bank before Christmas and the food was poor and massively overpriced to boot. Most the other pubs are just 2 for £8 merchants. Poor show really.

The Badger for food

That's my local food pub of choice but it can get really packed. It's not great for veggies either tbh (for the wife, not me). Went to the Pavillion the other day and it was poor, although it had the bonus that the waitresses apparently weren't wearing skirts. Also went to the Maggy bank before Christmas and the food was poor and massively overpriced to boot. Most the other pubs are just 2 for £8 merchants. Poor show really.

True, there's not much to choose from.

Next time you go up Northumberland, it's worth making a trip to The Cook and Barker at Newton-on-the-Moor.

The food is superb, it has rooms if you fancy a stopover too. I can't comment on the veggie options, but if it's on par with the cooked flesh, it'll be grand

Cook and Barker tinterwebs

The Badger for food

True, there's not much to choose from.

Next time you go up Northumberland, it's worth making a trip to The Cook and Barker at Newton-on-the-Moor.

The food is superb, it has rooms if you fancy a stopover too. I can't comment on the veggie options, but if it's on par with the cooked flesh, it'll be grand

Cook and Barker tinterwebs

Cheers, that looks spot on, will give it a try. :o

Around Bond St the Pontefract Castle is decent (downstairs has a champagne bar too), just off St Christopher's Place. Brings you out onto Wigmore Street where you can find the Cock and Lion which is the best Pub to watch Newcastle that I've found so far.

Next time you are going out for a few, let me know where you are and I'll try and point you in the right direction.

The Jon Snow near poland street in Soho is a good Sam Smith drinker (if you don't mind some of the arty types who get in there). Dangerous mind at £2.20 odd a pint.

I was in the Sam Smiths pub opposite the gates to Harewood House a few weeks back. It was lunchtime and I had the car, so I had a pint of mild. £1.36! One pound thirty fucking six for a pint in 2010! And the barmaid said it had just gone up a couple of pence because of the budget. Staff were nice, place was a pleasant old school boozer and their seemed to be a few friendly locals.