The Cycling Thread

Geordieracer

• 2 weeks later...

Would usually be between ITV4 or Eurosport. One of the Beebs at a push.

13:15

Cycling

Live Tour of Britain - Stage 3 - Cockermouth to Floors Castle, Kelso (216km) (165min)

British Eurosport...cheers :good:

Edit: Which I've just discovered I need a subscription for....what the absoloute fuck? :lol: Eurosport used to be the ugly bastard orphan of sports channels, available to all for banger racing and cross country skiing :glare:

Edited by PaddockLad

@@PaddockLad If you're not arsed about recording it and there's no Eurosport Player trial you can make use of, I've got a Eurosport Player account you can borrow for the day if you like. If you've got Chromecast you can send it to the TV so you don't have to watch it on your computer.

• 4 weeks later...

She's absolutely dominated this year, in a year when I'm blanking on major British sporting achievements apart from Froome (and I really don't want to get you started on him ;) ).

Unless I'm completely forgetting some major achievements mind.

If we win the Davis Cup then Murray must be in with a decent shout.

All the Beeb will look like a decorators radio if he wins. Also Hamilton hasnt done bad against a bunch of shite, but again they will wank all over him.

Although, if you look at Armitstead, there are probably a hand full of people who can challenge her. Womens cycling just doesnt have the depth which is such a shame.

I haven't followed that at all, what's the situation? Are we in the final (assuming that's how it works)?

I know it shouldn't work like this, but I think they should give some consideration to who would benefit the most from the exposure. Most people probably barely know who Armitstead is whereas Murray is an extremely wealthy household name. Could do wonders for her, but would do next to nothing for him.

I haven't followed that at all, what's the situation? Are we in the final (assuming that's how it works)?

Aye, first time in aeons. Against Belgium (equally improbably) next month.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The team were training in Calpe when reports suggest that a car came on the wrong side of the road, driving into the group of riders.

Warren Barguil, John Degenkolb, Chad Haga, Fredrik Ludvigsson, Ramon Sinkeldam and Max Walscheid were all involved in the crash, with a string of injuries inflicted.

The team will need some time to recover from this. The team is like a close family and I know that with everyone supporting each other the team can come through this. As a team we have an amazing spirit. We are there for each other."

Degenkolb suffered a serious hand injury, confirming later on Facebook that a finger had almost been entirely severed. The team confirmed that Degenkolb had a successful surgery on a cut to his upper leg and is currently receiving treatment for his hand and a fracture to his forearm.

Haga was airlifted to hospital, suffering from neck and facial injuries. The team said he had successful surgery on his neck and chin wounds. Haga also has an orbital fracture that will be treated later.

Barguil suffered fractured scaphoid in his wrist. He may require surgery but that is not yet determined, the team said. Walscheid fractured his hand and tibia, and surgery is likely required. Ludvigsson suffered scratches and bruises all over his body but is otherwise OK. Sinkeldam also escaped with multiple scratches and bruises.

This is a really big blow for the entire team but of course the riders who were hit and their families, Spekenbrink said.

Spekenbrink, who was understandably unwilling to go into the details of the incident, was unable to talk to the media until almost midnight, making sure that he and his staff had notified each of the riders' families and loved ones after consulting expert medical staff within his team and the hospitals where riders had been brought. With Hagas family in the US, Spekenbrink took extra time this afternoon and this evening to make sure he reached out to them due to the time differences.

I know that crashes happen in cycling, we all do, but the nature of this one doesnt belong in sport. I saw that image of the bikes on the ground, there are no words for that. I had no words when I saw that.

A lot of the other riders saw the crash and they are all shocked. They came back to the hotel and you can imagine how shocked they all are. The team will need some time to recover.

Spekenbrink confirmed that the Giant-Alpecin team would carry on racing at the Tour Down Under. The race concludes on Sunday.