What mood are you in and why?

catmag

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Not when you get E. Coli close, no. 

Tbf when you have E. Coli the shite is usually getting further away from you at a rather rapid rate so this isn't a fair example.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

First they came for the earwax removal services, and I did nothing because I have a big fuck-off syringe. 
Then they came for the smeg removal services…

and I did nothing because my Kojak's roll neck was ethically disposed of in a landfill.....

• Haha 4

Changing my job tomorrow. Won’t do murderers and robbers anymore but doing organised crime and cybercrime.

I do still need a good translation of ”Jesus, Mary and Joseph and the wee donkey“ to use in the future.

I work with a lot of Europeans nowadays, German, French, Poles, Baltic countries, and one Russian. Obvs I make them speak the universal babel fish language of English.

We've had discussions about expressions and sayings in people's native languages a few times, it's fascinating how these vary slightly but you can always work out what they mean. 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I work with a lot of Europeans nowadays, German, French, Poles, Baltic countries, and one Russian. Obvs I make them speak the universal babel fish language of English.

We've had discussions about expressions and sayings in people's native languages a few times, it's fascinating how these vary slightly but you can always work out what they mean. 

I worked with a lad who “collected” a particular phrase in different languages. 
This was pre-internet, so he only did it by meeting people that spoke the varying languages. 

If I remember correctly he’d got somewhere in the twenties, which is pretty feckin good, his favourite being the Finnish. 

The phrase was “ You have a head like an Oak tree “. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Isegrim said:

Changing my job tomorrow. Won’t do murderers and robbers anymore but doing organised crime and cybercrime.

I do still need a good translation of ”Jesus, Mary and Joseph and the wee donkey“ to use in the future.

It was nice knowing you 

Roses Funeral GIF by Un si grand soleil

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Been a funny day. Had an appraisal that went very well, potentially could jump up two job grades into my ideal role, and not have to do all the admin shit I dread thta normally comes with with promotion. So that's good.

Then my Mum collpased and I had to dial 999. The paramedics were superb and have thoroughly checked over her and she's okay. Probably just postural hypotension leading to a non-traumatic fall. So that's okay.

Then my step-FiL, if there is sucha term, has been diagnosed with likely metastatic colon cancer. So this is fucking terrible.

I dunno. Got me thinking about my own time left on the old blue marble and how to use it. Do I really want a more intensive job now whilst my kids are still kids? Feel completely deflated thinking about the hard times ahead and just can't motivate myself at all. These are the days you wish your bed was already made I guess. 

• Sad 4

Depends how much work it'll be. I've definitely reached the point at work where my appetite for responsibility/expectations are maxed out. The next step up is way beyond what I have any interest in doing.

I'm just navigating my way to retirement now, hopefully with as few job related issues as possible.

Sorry to hear about your family health troubles btw.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Well if the promotion means extra money but no extra time and can get you to retirement earlier then go for it.

Aye, I guess so. Crazy to even complain about my job tbh as I've molded it into pretty much what I wanted, relying on becoming indispensible through basic competence in a sea of incompetence and the classic loafing techniques pioneered by Gemmill and finessed by Fish. We'll see where this goes at a higher level I guess. :)

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

image.gif.d9aea9f7ee45971deae3b425c797aaf1.gif

Yeah, yeah. This is for head trolleyman of Newcastle-upon-Tyne NHS Foundation Hospital Trust. and Northumbria We have power. Next time you're in hospital, that's you, that is. ☝️