Is Rooney going to score in Serf Efika?

Rob W

one thing i would say is looking at the pictures of him with his top off after the germany match in the indy today, rooney doesn't look in the best shape. there were rumours of him carrying extra weight and they look to be true. he hasn't got the build of a permier league footballer at the moment.

He's an odd shape, built more like a heavy weight boxer than a creative midfielder come striker. I think it's going to be harder for him than most to retain his fitness and therefore form into his late 20s or 30s. He could do easily go off the rails, especially if ManU are forced to sell him or when Ferguson retires (next year imo).

He's supposed to have a pretty low body fat percentage so I don't think he's fat but I do think he's bulked up a bit since he burst onto the scene and the extra muscle has possibly slowed him down a bit. I know it's natural to put on extra weight as you 'fill out' but I think because Rooney was strong as an ox at 18, he probably needed a weights etc. regime that kept him relatively trim rather than making him bigger and stronger. Perhaps that's another effect of playing in the PL and the English culture. I think he probably will have to watch his weight as he gets older but, unlike you, I think he could actually thrive with the right move (to a top club abroad that is).

No, that's all possibly true. It could go either way. Good thing is he is settled now with a kid so that may help his motivation because his obvious lack of non-football intellect would also concern me a bit. Perhaps I'm letting Gazza bias my views, who he kind of reminds me of.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dunno if you can blame his natural shape for what looks like a lack of fitness. does he not normally look more lean? and doesn't he usually have better energy on the field?

looking at those pics in the indy, he doesn't have that cut, athletic look that most other premier league footballers do, no sign of abs showing for instance. his build looked like an average bloke rather than a premier league footballer with insane fitness levels. border line moobs even

this is the pic i'm on about

england-three_403210t.jpg

i dunno if you can blame his natural shape for what looks like a lack of fitness. does he not normally look more lean? and doesn't he usually have better energy on the field?

looking at those pics in the indy, he doesn't have that cut, athletic look that most other premier league footballers do, no sign of abs showing for instance. his build looked like an average bloke rather than a premier league footballer with insane fitness levels. border line moobs even

I don't he has been training hard since the inj, unless he looks like that normally which I doubt. Again I'd have to ask questions of Capello regarding how Rooney was set up for this world cup. But how do you now play him?

I don't he has been training hard since the inj, unless he looks like that normally which I doubt. Again I'd have to ask questions of Capello regarding how Rooney was set up for this world cup. But how do you now play him?

It wasn't just Rooney either, Barry looked well off the pace while the likes of Lennon and even Ashley Cole to some extent didn't seem to have the speed that they've shown in recent seasons, surely due to their injury hit seasons.

He is 24 now not 22 so that was from 2 years ago.

Parky is on a mission to besmirch probably our only top-notch World class footballer for some reason.

:D:rolleyes:

if its world class to go to a tournament and not score in 3 games against some dross (and then the Jormans) then I guess he is world class

I suppose having just broken a 16 month scoring drought at International level, C. Ronaldo isn't world class either then.

Rooney has never had the cut athlete look even when fit. He's always had the charver on his jollies look.

:D he's sporting a classic builder's tan on a couple of those snaps from after the german game too.

that pic of the rooney family emerging from the sea all hunched over and pasty always made me laugh. can't find it on google though

Parky is on a mission to besmirch probably our only top-notch World class footballer for some reason.

if its world class to go to a tournament and not score in 3 games against some dross (and then the Jormans) then I guess he is world class

If you're basing this on goals rather than the ability then Messi has had something like 23 shots in this world cup so far and scored ZERO. He must be crap as well.

If you're basing this on goals rather than the ability then Messi has had something like 23 shots in this world cup so far and scored ZERO. He must be crap as well.

but rooneys general play was god awful too, his touch was heavy he was paceless and he almost never provided threat to the opposition goal either as provider or scorer

you can't seriously be defending his performances in this WC as those of a world class player

Totally agree with what Alex is saying like. Look at this photo for example.

allsportrooneydashpolan.jpg

He looks less bulky on this - definitely think he's lost a yard or two. He's still top class though and if he was at a top continental team his game would come on even further.

probably shouldn't have waxed his chest:

powerade_still.0004.jpg

he's got an average bloke on the street physique.

EDIT - premiership footballers are usually about 6% body fat. when you're that fit, abs and pecs pop and nothing wobbles. there's no way rooney is near that at the moment, looking at those pics

Edited by Dr Gloom

i'm not saying he's finished by the way but i do know a bit about fitness and judging on rooney's appearances in this world cup combined with the weight he's carrying, i'd day he's far from 100 per cent fitness.

fit footballers usually look like this:

11933cristiano_ronaldo.jpg

drogba-celeb.jpg

lampard.jpg

i'm not saying he's finished by the way but i do know a bit about fitness and judging on rooney's appearances in this world cup combined with the weight he's carrying, i'd day he's far from 100 per cent fitness.

fit footballers usually look like this:

11933cristiano_ronaldo.jpg

drogba-celeb.jpg

lampard.jpg

Gayest post since Meenzer came out tbh.