England -v- Algeria

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will you two fuck off to your own thread and stop de-railing every other one?

Seriously. Ban the pricks for a week or something until they stop this fucking pathetic carry-on.

Unless you two stop de-railing every thread with your pathetic bullshit then I'll carry out Gemmill's request. You have your own thread for this game of 'tag, your it' - fucking use it!

There really does seem to be problems in the squad.

The main indicator to me is Rooneys' performances and the attitude of others.

The lack of closing down last night was absurd, they just let the Algies have the ball without working hard to get it back. Maybe that, coupled with 'Wazzas' pre match comments about the opposition show a lack of respect.

I also reckon Joe Cole won't get a game as he doesn't stick to the flanks, and likes to drift in. Apparently Walcott was dropped for this reason.

Edited by Barney

The lack of closing down last night was absurd, they just let the Algies have the ball without working hard to get it back. Maybe that, coupled with 'Wazzas' pre match comments about the opposition show a lack of respect.

I also reckon Joe Cole won't get a game as he doesn't stick to th Flanders, and likes to drift in. Apparently Walcott was dropped for this reason.

as opposed to gerrard who just lovesthe chalk on his left boot

its ridiculous

I also reckon Joe Cole won't get a game as he doesn't stick to the flanks, and likes to drift in. Apparently Walcott was dropped for this reason.

The only one who has dared to show a run down the wing was Lennon and he was hauled off. If that was Capello's remit for omitting Walcott and overlooking Cole then he's miles off the hymn sheet IMO.

I agree, but I think Gerrard was played there to accomodate Lampard and Heskey.

agreed

cant see why though, I can understand lampard, for all I dislike him its incredible that he manages 20 a season from midfield at his club and no one seems to be surprised by it anymore, hes a damn good player (not for england but his club)

but heskey...the mind boggles

I agree, but I think Gerrard was played there to accomodate Lampard and Heskey.

I will never comprehend the idea of Gerrard (one of the best central midfielders at the world cup) is being played out of position to accomodate the great fat lummox that is Emile Heskey. It just doesn't make sense.

As shit as Walcott has been, at least he isn't the exact same player as Lennon. SWP was a lucky boy to get into the squad.

I said on the day the squad was announced that taking Wright-Phillips instead of Johnson was a fuck-up of epic proportions.

Absolutely, it's been said before, he clearly went against his motto of picking players in form ahead of reputation.

BTW I think he's likely have shattered Rob Green's international confidence by dropping him for last night's game. Yes he fucked up but that moment aside he had a good game against the USA. An incident that should have been forgotten about almost instantly was made something by Capello himself.

A lot will argue that James didn't put a foot wrong last night - true. But had James been on the bench he'd have been sat there with his confidence intact. Can't say the same for Rob Green.

Incidentally we had a management meeting on Monday morning and one of the items on the agenda was "Green Issues".

When the item came up, the chair asked if anyone had anything to say. I replied "aye.... he's got butter fingers!" :icon_lol:

Will you two fuck off to your own thread and stop de-railing every other one?

Seriously. Ban the pricks for a week or something until they stop this fucking pathetic carry-on.

Unless you two stop de-railing every thread with your pathetic bullshit then I'll carry out Gemmill's request. You have your own thread for this game of 'tag, your it' - fucking use it!

Was more of a demand Craig :icon_lol: Ban him :angry:

Absolutely, it's been said before, he clearly went against his motto of picking players in form ahead of reputation.

BTW I think he's likely have shattered Rob Green's international confidence by dropping him for last night's game. Yes he fucked up but that moment aside he had a good game against the USA. An incident that should have been forgotten about almost instantly was made something by Capello himself.

A lot will argue that James didn't put a foot wrong last night - true. But had James been on the bench he'd have been sat there with his confidence intact. Can't say the same for Rob Green.

James should have been playing from the start imo. You need your experienced players on the pitch in a world cup, more so when 2 hugely influencial players in Rio and Beckham are out.

I said this at the time.

I wonder if the 'fear factor' of making a mistake accounts in some part for last nights gutless performance?

I said this at the time.

I wonder if the 'fear factor' of making a mistake accounts in some part for last nights gutless performance?

Agreed. By dropping the keeper and hauling Milner off after 30 minutes, he is saying he will be ruthless on mistakes. Looked like everybody was shit-scared to make one.

It's a fucking puzzler like.

If he applies the same criteria he used to drop Green, then Rooney, Heskey, Lampard should all feel nervous.

Against USA I thought Johnson was MOTM.

Different player last night.

In his post match interview, Capello was asked if he'd change tactics/formation. Twice.

He ignored it first time, second time of asking his reply gave me the impression he may well be considering it.

Noelie, you mention Milner there, but I'd say his confidence is shot after the USA game. He'd be an accident waiting to happen. Green too.

I disagree about taking Rooney off, but you can argue either side. He was poor, but is liable to win 3pts on his own. The press would have a field day anyway.

I don't think Milner's confidence would suffer too much from being taken off, He was recovering from a stomach upset or something, he knew that, Capello knew that too and and shouldn't have started him until he was 100% over it. Milner would know that his poor showing was due to lack of fitness and would be chomping at the bit to make amends.

Barney, Rooney had a poor 90 minutes in the first game against the USA and continued to be even poorer against Algeria. Perhaps he can win 3 points on his own but how long do you wait to see if he will. I honestly think he should have been taken off in the second half against Algeria, he was contributing absolutely nowt.

Trouble at t'mill;

Fabio Capello will meet with his players on Sunday as he seeks to repair his squad’s broken morale.

In the aftermath of England’s abject performance in the 0-0 draw with Algeria on Friday, the England management team have conceded that the players are unhappy with some of Capello’s methods, that the players’ confidence is at its lowest in his time in charge and that the tactical system needs to change for the crucial final group game with Slovenia on Wednesday.

Capello’s priority is resolving psychological difficulties, which he believes are besetting Wayne Rooney. After his sixth World Cup game without a goal, in which he did not once touch the ball in the penalty area, Capello said that his star player was in top physical shape but was struggling to cope with the mental pressure.

“He’s completely fit,” he said. “In training we have to send him back to the dressing room every time. He stays on the pitch for more time than the other players. He’s perfect. It’s not a problem of this [fitness]. The problem is in the mind. I know this from when I was a player. I remember what can happen in these moments.”

Capello will also speak to Rooney about his reaction to the England supporters who booed the team at the final whistle. England fans in the crowd had already booed after Frank Lampard dragged a shot wide late in the second half and expressed even greater disgust at the final whistle. As Rooney left the pitch he looked at an on-pitch camera and said: “Nice to see your own fans booing you, that’s what loyal support is.”

Rooney attempted to avert a supporters’ backlash by apologising yesterday. “On reflection I said things in the heat of the moment that came out of frustration of both our performance and the result,” he said in a statement issued by the FA. “For my part I apologise for any offence caused by my actions at the end of the game. I am as passionate about the England team as anyone. The most important thing now is to regroup, be positive and work towards winning the game on Wednesday.”

FA sources said that they had never seen Capello so depressed by a result. The Italian, though, intends to start all over again at the Rustenburg training camp today. The players were given a day off with their families in Cape Town yesterday as a temporary reprieve from the pressure but Capello will today seek explanations from them for what happened on Friday night.

His coaching staff also had a day to digest the result. Stuart Pearce, Italo Galbiati and Franco Tancredi travelled to Rustenburg to scout potential England opponents Ghana, playing against Australia. Despite rumours that Franco Baldini, Capello’s trusted general manager, was considering his position, it is understood that all members of Capello’s team are completely committed to the cause.

But there will be a change of system and personnel against Slovenia. Matthew Upson is the favourite to deputise for the suspended Jamie Carragher while Joe Cole and Jermain Defoe are pushing for promotion to the starting line-up.

“No one is untouchable in my mind,” Capello said. “For the game I can change players, I can do different things. We have time to prepare.”

That preparation must include a diffusion of the tension that John Terry admitted was constraining the team. “We all, as a group of players, need to relax and do what we do for our clubs,” he said. “We need to do what we did in qualifying. We shouldn’t change the way we play and we shouldn’t be worrying about other sides, because from what I’ve seen so far no sides worry me.”

The question that really needs to be asked is why when England's 1st choice attacking players all play for clubs that play a 4-3-2-1 formation does the national team persist with 4-4-2? And to make that 4-4-2 it chooses to play players that are down the pecking order at their club or play them out of position inorder to shoehorn them into the team?

The question that really needs to be asked is why when England's 1st choice attacking players all play for clubs that play a 4-3-2-1 formation does the national team persist with 4-4-2? And to make that 4-4-2 it chooses to play players that are down the pecking order at their club or play them out of position inorder to shoehorn them into the team?

Via a translator? :icon_lol:

Can't remember if I've already said this (apologies if I have) but it was a bit like the Villa game when we went down in that during the last half hour I just knew we weren't going to score.