England -v- Algeria

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Joe Cole, Ashley Cole, Barry and Terry and genuinely world class players.

The squad is shit but the core of the team is very good.

Having one good striker isn't helping at all.

I don't think Barry is world class either

edit: Joe Cole isn't either in honesty

Edited by AshleysSkidMark

Not sure why the other Villa winger isn't there.

Adam Johnson was worth a gamble for me. I dont see the point in taking SWP and Lennon. Both identical players.

Yeah he should have come instead of having SWP AND Lennon. Although I think Lennon has been one of the better players.

Lampard has been INVISIBLE.

Well at least Lampard did something so we can make a judgement on his performance last night...he was as piss poor as the rest of them....he really did do his famous disappearing act v USA though. He never seems to truly "want it"...none of them do...theyve all been fuckin corrupted by being multi millionaires at 21 and have lost the hunger you need to acheive at this level.

It's not as if the Argentinians/Brasillians/whoever actually wins the wold cup weren't millionaires at a young age too

Thats correct to a point, any young lad playing in one of Europes top leagues is going to be a very wealthy individual, but I seriously doubt if any of the cracking young German players playing in the Bundesliga that we've seen play in SA earn anywhere near what Lennon, Walcott or Adam Johnson will be on.

Thats the other thing....once the dregs of the alleged "golden generation" have fucked off to count their money who is actually coming up to replace them?.....

I'll tell you what I think, too few of our players have genuine top level experience. 5 Spurs players. Spurs are only just approaching the top level now in terms of the CL, and are likely to be a one season wonder in terms of being a top 4 club. Of them, Crouch has the CL experience but wasn't even a stonewall starter for Liverpool, a top 4 club. None of the keepers have CL experience, Glen Johnson has little, Warnock and Upson none, Lennon Barry Milner all none, Wright-Phillips does but not as a regular starter and in terms of being a regular for a top 4 side Rooney is up front on his own.

In short, the majority of our squad are dogshit.

Hadn't thought about it like that. I just think they're a bit thick as well, which goes unnoticed when they are surronded by 'savvy' foreign players at the clubs.

Not sure why the other Villa winger isn't there.

Adam Johnson was worth a gamble for me. I dont see the point in taking SWP and Lennon. Both identical players.

Yeah he should have come instead of having SWP AND Lennon. Although I think Lennon has been one of the better players.

Lampard has been INVISIBLE.

Well at least Lampard did something so we can make a judgement on his performance last night...he was as piss poor as the rest of them....he really did do his famous disappearing act v USA though. He never seems to truly "want it"...none of them do...theyve all been fuckin corrupted by being multi millionaires at 21 and have lost the hunger you need to acheive at this level.

It's not as if the Argentinians/Brasillians/whoever actually wins the wold cup weren't millionaires at a young age too

Thats correct to a point, any young lad playing in one of Europes top leagues is going to be a very wealthy individual, but I seriously doubt if any of the cracking young German players playing in the Bundesliga that we've seen play in SA earn anywhere near what Lennon, Walcott or Adam Johnson will be on.

Thats the other thing....once the dregs of the alleged "golden generation" have fucked off to count their money who is actually coming up to replace them?.....

Well if you fast forward to the next world cup Terry, Cole, G Johnson, Barry, maybe Gerrard, Lennon, Milner, Walcott (if he develops), Defoe and Rooney will all still be in the mix, add to that the ones who come good from the likes of Rodwell, Wilshire, A.Johnson, Shelvey, Sturridge etc In Hart you have a good future no.1 keeper as well.

The problem is that too many of our players just don't look comfortable on the ball - they lack the level of skill and ball control required at the highest level - very few of our players are capable of beating a man and not only that but some of them seem over eager to rid of the ball at the first opportunity - maybe through fear of getting caught on the ball and making a mistake. Even Algeria looked more skilful and comfortable on the ball than England.

Not sure of the reasons, maybe its to do with coaching the skill out of players at an early age rather than encouraging youngsters to enjoy the game and take players on rather than passing and hoofing the ball at the first opportunity.

The problem is that too many of our players just don't look comfortable on the ball - they lack the level of skill and ball control required at the highest level - very few of our players are capable of beating a man and not only that but some of them seem over eager to rid of the ball at the first opportunity - maybe through fear of getting caught on the ball and making a mistake. Even Algeria looked more skilful and comfortable on the ball than England.

Not sure of the reasons, maybe its to do with coaching the skill out of players at an early age rather than encouraging youngsters to enjoy the game and take players on rather than passing and hoofing the ball at the first opportunity.

We didn't even have a coaching excellence place till about 2 years ago. :icon_lol:

I don't think Barry is world class either

edit: Joe Cole isn't either in honesty

Aye, those two are arguably not exactly 'world class' but certainly excellent players who would get a shout at starting for many other countries.

Both good enough to play in the world cup so that sort of is world class.

I think Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Joe Cole, Ashley Cole, Barry and Terry and genuinely world class players.

The squad is shit but the core of the team is very good.

Having one good striker isn't helping at all.

Not playing them in their best positions doesn't help either. Should've picked bent too tbh.

Edited by Bizza

Anyone remmeber this piece of typical Murdoch press understatement?.....not over hyping the England team in any way...not at all...etc etc :icon_lol:

36993_1496867227099_1396673137_3131.jpg

We deserve to go out for the stupidity and arrogance of that.

The BBC England pundits:

Graham Taylor

Former England manager on BBC 5 live

The supporters, understandably, are very angry and disappointed with this performance. England have been outplayed - technically and tactically Algeria were ahead of them.

Sooner or later we need an explanation from Fabio Capello on the team-selection policy. When you're announcing your team two hours before kick-off, what sort of preparatory work have you been doing for the game if your players don't know what the team is?

If you're the England manager - and I've been there - you've got to expect these questions and I think real football questions should be answered by Fabio.

He doesn't answer them, he's starting to say he doesn't understand the question or gives you back an answer you know isn't correct. He's starting to ask for a translation, which wasn't the case when we were winning games.

I honestly do feel there is something wrong in the camp because nobody was up for this game and yet you would have thought that would've been the first thing they were. Some of the body language suggests all is not well.

We know England have to win their last game and I feel they're in real danger now.

Chris Waddle

Former England winger on BBC 5 live

In qualifying we beat Croatia twice and Ukraine once. They are both far better than the USA and Algeria, so there must be something wrong.

Are the players tired, are they jaded, have the injuries taken their toll? I think a lot of it is confidence but there's something wrong.

Not for the first time, we've got to question our technique. The foreign influence in the Premier League makes it more exciting but when you just take the best of England out, it shows up.

Algeria's first touch, their movement and their awareness has come from being coached at a young age. We've been exposed again for our lack of awareness and our lack of a first touch.

We never controlled this game, we never controlled the USA game. There's got to be something wrong with our system when we can't break down a team like Algeria, who came in having won just one of their previous eight games.

Wayne Rooney's played two games and not looked the player we expect. Steven Gerrard looked like he wanted to get involved in the first half but then the game passed him and everybody else by. Gareth Barry looked very leggy and got caught in possession countless times, Frank Lampard the same.

Our strength has always been our tempo and the conditions were perfect, but the tempo and quality was poor and the confidence has just gone. We look a bag of nerves and everybody's first touch is terrible. Confidence is draining out of this team.

Their final game is against Slovenia and they score goals - they scored one against Algeria and two against the USA - so they're confident and will think they can get a draw. There's no pressure on them; England have to win.

Alan Shearer

Former England striker on Match of the Day

It was really, really poor. We were all expecting a big improvement from the USA game.

We thought of excuses for that game. We said they went in not wanting to get beaten in the first game of the tournament, trying to settle in. But there were no real excuses at all.

We can't sit here and defend them. They were devoid of ideas, they kept on playing the long ball up to the front two which quite clearly is not working. There's no goals there, something has to change.

We should have been doing to Algeria what they were doing to us. They looked more comfortable on the ball then we did with players like Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney and Ashley Cole. You can't tell me that they're not better players than Algeria. But Algeria were better than England.

We criticised the French and their coach Raymond Domenech - the lack of passion and commitment. That wasn't there from the England players.

It has to be fear. They played well in the qualifiers but it's one thing qualifying, now it's on the big stage and the players have to deliver.

Rooney hit out at the supporters for booing at the end but they are entitled to express their opinions. They stuck with the England players for the majority of the game and they've travelled thousands of miles to get here. Three quarters of that stadium was full of England supporters. Wayne can't say that.

He's frustrated. His performances haven't been up to scratch. He doesn't look fit to me. Whether he's got the hump with someone or whether he's carrying an injury, something doesn't seem right.

Lee Dixon

Former England defender on Match of the Day

What happens to these great players when they pull on an England shirt is the question. What's happening at the moment is that every player on the pitch does not want the ball and does not know what to do with it.

Their shape is all over the place. I don't care what Mr Capello's going to do in the next few days but he's surely got to look at the system they're playing. The 4-4-2 with Gerrard on the left when he wasn't really on the left was awful. It worked in qualifying but it's not working now.

You have to have a plan 'B' whether you're in the Premier League or Division Two. When you're playing at this level and things are not going well you need a leader who says 'Right, I'm going to start passing, I'm going to be better than anyone else'.

They all looked scared, from the back to the front. That's the first time I've heard Capello mention the spirit not being there and it wasn't there, it was really lacklustre.

They think something is wrong. I think they're right.

Well 2 games in and i literally don't know why Rooney and Lampard bothered coming as they have been a complete waste of space. Gerrard had one decent game and one shit one albeit wasted on the left and Heskey either doesn't finish or doesnt even take the shot when its on!

What Joe Cole has to do to get a game i have no idea, about the only flair player we have, likes playing on the left and unlike the rest of them probably could manage to control a football!

As shite as the players were last night, Cappello isn't helping by sticking Gerrard on the elft after he played well in the middle, not playing Cole and picking Heskey and Lampard. Also his subs, he takes off Lennon who was the nearest we had to a threat last night and leaves on players who had been utter bollocks.

Its getting a bit like Sven where certain players like Lampard and Rooney know by and large they'll play so there isn't the threat to kick them up the arse. And i expect better of Cappello there, he's usually willing to drop people and pick on form not rep, but he's slipping into the usual habits. Also doesn't help that he didn't bring Johnson and Walcott!

As Keegan said, Barry is about the only player who did their job, but if he's your man of the match its because your creative players and scorers have done nothing.

As individuals these aren't really great people and under real pressure it shows. People like Rooney shielded by a gift all his life has never really grown up (I still remember the silly groin backkick against Portugal). Ashley Cole - An airhead at best, trolloping around nightspots with a mobile up his arse etc..John Terry womaniser and groomer or young girls from the back window of his Bentley...Carragher - disgraceful comments about playing for England and the biggest complainer on a football pitch since Dennis Wise. SWP - always the silly grin, talent going to waste. Lennon - eyebrow worrier and pink top wearer, plus for a while caught up in bling heaven, Gerrard - very murkey Scouse background with gangs and whatnot. Lampard - just fat, lazy (questionable commitment to family life) and unproductive at international level...I honestly have never seen him hit a long pass for Egn ever...They are all dodgy individuals, all spoilt and cosseted by endless press attention and tit on call...Poor charcter shines through when pressure rings the doorbell.

Drop

Rooney

lampard

heskey

How in hell is Beckham meant to be a motivator, the biggest preening queen of all time and responsible for one of the biggest world cup gaffes ever (the sending off)?

Edited by Park Life

As individuals these aren't really great people and under real pressure it shows.

nailed.

All the potential England captains........Terry, Ferdinand, Rooney, Gerrard, lampard ........ all 5 of them either not suitable characters with dodgy backrounds. Thats half the team, arguably the 5 most major players.

Is it money ?

Ability-wise, its the same old England. Can't keep the ball and believe their own hype.

As individuals these aren't really great people and under real pressure it shows.

nailed.

All the potential England captains........Terry, Ferdinand, Rooney, Gerrard, lampard ........ all 5 of them either not suitable characters with dodgy backrounds. Thats half the team, arguably the 5 most major players.

Is it money ?

Ability-wise, its the same old England. Can't keep the ball and believe their own hype.

WHILE Chelsea fans slunk home licking their wounds after last night’s dramatic defeat, millionaire midfielder Frank Lampard hit the town.

The England star, recently criticised for his “bachelor” lifestyle by the mother of his daughters and estranged girlfriend Elen Rives, was out until 5am.

After leaving Chelsea's Stamford Bridge ground, Lampard, 30, headed to nearby restaurant Carpaccio for dinner with his father Frank Lampard Snr, and sister Clare.

The footballer and some friends then moved on to Raffles nightclub on the Kings Road where he stayed until dawn.

The group were spotted ordering champagne for his table and engaging in an ice cube fight with some girls in the club.

nailed.

Is it money ?

WHILE Chelsea fans slunk home licking their wounds after last night’s dramatic defeat, millionaire midfielder Frank Lampard hit the town.

The England star, recently criticised for his “bachelor” lifestyle by the mother of his daughters and estranged girlfriend Elen Rives, was out until 5am.

After leaving Chelsea's Stamford Bridge ground, Lampard, 30, headed to nearby restaurant Carpaccio for dinner with his father Frank Lampard Snr, and sister Clare.

The footballer and some friends then moved on to Raffles nightclub on the Kings Road where he stayed until dawn.

The group were spotted ordering champagne for his table and engaging in an ice cube fight with some girls in the club.

pathetic.

nailed.

Is it money ?

pathetic.

Why?

nailed.

Is it money ?

pathetic.

Why?

so I'm not on ignore then :icon_lol: