England -v- Algeria

I missed this fortunately, I went to see a shit David Bowie tribute band instead. Wise move it seems. Looking forward to having Wednesay afternoon off though, and at least is should be exciting.

So, is there any way this could be a repeat of 1986 or is that just wishful thinking?

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed this fortunately, I went to see a shit David Bowie tribute band instead. Wise move it seems. Looking forward to having Wednesay afternoon off though, and at least is should be exciting.

So, is there any way this could be a repeat of 1986 or is that just wishful thinking?

if capello grasps the idea that forcing players into 442 out of position doesn't work then yeh it could happen

good point was made in commentary thatalmost none of the England players especially the attacking unit don't play 442 with their clubs

James

Johnson Dawson terry cole

---------lampard barry

Lennon----gerrard----cole

------------Rooney

please fabio, it makes sense and it puts our "best" players where they want to be as well as, shock horror, playing the only winger who you took who can play on the left on the left

Guest The Three Lions

Heskey's step over and subsequent fall must've had every cunt in the world laughing at us. It summed everything up.

Heskey's step over and subsequent fall must've had every cunt in the world laughing at us. It summed everything up.

Even I was laughing at that, professional footballer under no challenge cat do a stepover over a ball that isn't moving

it's absurd

Guest The Three Lions

Even I was laughing at that, professional footballer under no challenge cat do a stepover over a ball that isn't moving

it's absurd

That was a low for me as an England fan, but all of the heartache, all of the near misses, all of the glorious failures, never have I felt worse watching England than when with about 15 minutes to go Townsend goes "Algeria are better than England at the moment", it doesn't get worse than that I'm afraid, and he was right.

The truth is our players aren't as good as we think they are. Gerrard has had the propensity to go missing for Liverpool too. When he does play well its generally part of a team which includes none of his ENgland Team Mates. Rooney is brilliant at Man U where he gets good service from other none England playing team mates. Lampard is surrounded by world class players who....... yes you guessed it dont play for England. The truth is they are all made to look brilliant as part of teams which allow them to shine. Put them all together and they turn to shit.

spot on.

After about 2/3 games every world cup someone makes this post. :icon_lol:

it's absurd

That was a low for me as an England fan, but all of the heartache, all of the near misses, all of the glorious failures, never have I felt worse watching England than when with about 15 minutes to go Townsend goes "Algeria are better than England at the moment", it doesn't get worse than that I'm afraid, and he was right.

I think I laughed. Otherwise I would have cried.

Heskey is a third rate footballer. Not his fault but he should never get anywhere near a an England XI. Andy Carroll is better than him.

Thats the worst I have ever seen Rooney play as well.

Something is not right. I suspect the players aren't happy.

Then whatever he did after it as well, just looked like he had gave up so hoofed it. :icon_lol:

Are we a the same stage in this compeition as we were in 86 when wed played 2 piss poor draws in the first two group games?........SBR bit the bulet and played Pedro up front with Linekar and we mullered Poland 3 nowt...and a player as unassuming as Steve Hodge had a lot to do with it as well....over to you Fabster... :icon_lol:

Bobby Robson getting credit he doesn't really deserve here, I have to say. They said on TV last night that we had a manager who was willing to change. Truth is, the change was forced on him due to Ray Wilkins being sent off in the 2nd game. He would not have changed his central midfield pairing of Bryan Robson and Ray Wilkins had this not happened. Central midfield pairing that he insisted could work together [and NUFC fans in particular and a lot of other supporters were urging him to put beardsley in ? Co-incidence or what ?

The truth is our players aren't as good as we think they are. Gerrard has had the propensity to go missing for Liverpool too. When he does play well its generally part of a team which includes none of his ENgland Team Mates. Rooney is brilliant at Man U where he gets good service from other none England playing team mates. Lampard is surrounded by world class players who....... yes you guessed it dont play for England. The truth is they are all made to look brilliant as part of teams which allow them to shine. Put them all together and they turn to shit.

spot on.

After about 2/3 games every world cup someone makes this post. :icon_lol:

Yup, its ridiculous, even from a ultra-pessimistic view Englands squad is easily one of the top 8 in the world, probably top 5 in truth. Add to the fact that all of those players DO play with other England players in their teams, many of which form the backbone of their teams in the league.

Not sure why the other Villa winger isn't there.

Adam Johnson was worth a gamble for me. I dont see the point in taking SWP and Lennon. Both identical players.

Yeah he should have come instead of having SWP AND Lennon. Although I think Lennon has been one of the better players.

Lampard has been INVISIBLE.

Adam Johnson was worth a gamble for me. I dont see the point in taking SWP and Lennon. Both identical players.

Yeah he should have come instead of having SWP AND Lennon. Although I think Lennon has been one of the better players.

Well at least Lampard did something so we can make a judgement on his performance last night...he was as piss poor as the rest of them....he really did do his famous disappearing act v USA though. He never seems to truly "want it"...none of them do...theyve all been fuckin corrupted by being multi millionaires at 21 and have lost the hunger you need to acheive at this level.

Well at least Lampard did something so we can make a judgement on his performance last night...he was as piss poor as the rest of them....he really did do his famous disappearing act v USA though. He never seems to truly "want it"...none of them do...theyve all been fuckin corrupted by being multi millionaires at 21 and have lost the hunger you need to acheive at this level.

...and they are way too cossetted by their clubs, itenarent hangers onners, sexy girls, diamonds, digital tv, rub downs, posh food, salivating media, sponsorship, heated seats, hip hop, big brother mongfests, wild gambling addictions....

It's not as if the Argentinians/Brasillians/whoever actually wins the wold cup weren't millionaires at a young age too

Edited by TicTacWoe

Because he's been piss poor for the last 18 months or so?

He did pick it up for a little bit second half of the season. Once they started giving Carew some games.

Because he's been piss poor for the last 18 months or so?

He did pick it up for a little bit second half of the season. Once they started giving Carew some games.

had better stats this season than SWP, Lennon and Cole

Only milner provided more and he was played centrally a lot this season

I don't think they listen to Capello. I noticed a few things when he givng instructions and seemed very frustrated. This lot of buffoons can't and never will be able to play like Italy.

Lampard was the worst of the lot, I thought.

Think the trouble is that the nature of Lampard's game means he's often invisible and the comes up with something good (for Chelsea anyway) and this looks even worse when he/the team are playing badly as he ends up contributing very little. Still had the only decent chance though.

Feeling a bit more optimistic today, was having a large dump earlier and was thinking maybe Capello wants to work out which team will win Germany's group and avoid them by coming second. :icon_lol:

If Germany dont win their group, USA beat Algeria and we beat Slovenia, we play Serbia or Ghana. Which, if you'd offered me before the tournament, i would have taken over any other outcome.

France drew first two games on way to final last time too.

I'll tell you what I think, too few of our players have genuine top level experience. 5 Spurs players. Spurs are only just approaching the top level now in terms of the CL, and are likely to be a one season wonder in terms of being a top 4 club. Of them, Crouch has the CL experience but wasn't even a stonewall starter for Liverpool, a top 4 club. None of the keepers have CL experience, Glen Johnson has little, Warnock and Upson none, Lennon Barry Milner all none, Wright-Phillips does but not as a regular starter and in terms of being a regular for a top 4 side Rooney is up front on his own.

In short, the majority of our squad are dogshit.