The hype that is England

LeazesMag

Agree with a lot of what you say Dan but I don't think it would have made much difference. I disagreed with taking King when he got injured but couldn't actually think of a decent alternative. I don't like Heskey but it would have been Bent instead of him and while I think he's a canny player he wouldn't have done much at that level. Ditto Johnson and Walcott imo. Not really defending Capello but it just seems whenever this happens all we do is get rid of the manager when it isn't going to change things long-term.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

same could be said for the players though. There arent many alternatives when people start the "clear out" talk.

Yeah, that's the problem and part of what I'm getting at.

There will be lots of hand wringing and investigations but at the end of the day we had a manager who froze at tournament level and as Alex says, a bunch of fannies on the field.

Basically, the manager has to carry the can......Its time for Harry.

What do you reckon Capello did wrong though? He had very limited options in too many areas. Getting rid of the manager is just papering over the cracks imo. I think he might walk anyway like.

i blame the players for being gutless but capello did get a lot wrong in this tournament. he was very disappointing after a good qualifying campaign.

playing players out of position, playing players that were half fit, not having the balls to drop or sub under-performing big name players. this is something i thought he would be good at - he wasn't afraid to drop beckham at real madrid but seemed to adopt the sven problem of being afraid to drop or sub the likes of lampard and rooney.

his faith in hesky was bonkers. bringing a guy on who doesn't score when you're chasing two goals left me speechless, especially when crouch, a guy with a good international scoring record, was hardly used.

i think we also saw a fairly stubborn coach at this world cup. his refusal to adjust his rigid 4-4-2 when it was clear that it wasn't working and the whole nation was crying out for 4-5-1 with gerrard just behind rooney. again, very sven-like. too rigid. i don't think flat banks of four work at the highest level anymore, especially when our holding palyer is unfit and the two centre halfs are slow and defend like amauters.

What would you have differently and who would you have played instead though? I think there are different options he could have used but not ones that would have made much different. That's my point really, he was pretty restricted. I don't think we can do much better either.

he was restricted by the players being gutless and playing with fear but he didn't do himself any favours. i don't think capello has enhanced his reputation in anyway after this tournament. in fact, i think he should hang his head as low as the players. he got a lot wrong. obviously we can all talk a good game as armchair pundits but i think some of what he got wrong was basics. he was just too stubborn as a manager, too rigid and didn't seem to have a plan b. in terms of what i'd do differently , there's a list as long as my arm:

i probably would have played a 4-5-1 after it became clear 4-4-2 wasn't working.

i wouldn't have played gerrard and lampard in the middle togethe rlike he did for the usa game. the sven era proved all they do is get in each other's way.

i wouldn't have played gerrard out wide. it was a waste of our best central midfielder. he should have played instead of lampard in the middle, or just behind rooney at the expense of heskey.

i probably wouldn't have played heskey at all. this whole "he's a great team player" argument doesn't stack up at international level when you look at his lack of goals.

i wouldn't have taken half fit players like barry or perma crocks like king.

i would have used players like lennon and instructed them to stick to the wing and attack their fullback instead of cutting inside, like he does week in week out for spurs. lennon must be blamed for his poor performances - like most of them he played with fear - but it's the manager's job to tell him where he's going wrong and how to put it right. i was disappointed that capello droped our only player with genuine pace and he wasn't able to get the best out of him.

i would have brought wallcott too or adam johnson ahead of swp too. johnson did enough to be a wild card pick and probably would have got a game or two to be fair.

Yup.

Says a lot though to be pinning hopes on the players who didn't make the 23. They're nowt special (and I like Johnson), especially Walcott. Also our hopes seemed to be pinned on Barry making the squad. Again he's a good player but pretty limited and clearly not fully fit.

i don't think we need to completely start again but the end of the line must have come for the likes of heskey, carragher and lampard. perhaps even terry too. i think we should never again play two typically british centre backs that can win the ball in the air but can't run. you need at least one centre back that can run and pass his way out of defence.

capello was very conservative with the players he picked. he probably should have gambled more on youth. look at the germans - their team was built on young, mobile players.

i don't think we need to completely start again but the end of the line must have come for the likes of heskey, carragher and lampard. perhaps even terry too. i think we should never again play two typically british centre backs that can win the ball in the air but can't run. you need at least one centre back that can run and pass his way out of defence.

capello was very conservative with the players he picked. he probably should have gambled more on youth. look at the germans - their team was built on young, mobile players.

Who should've played at centre-back then?

Edited by alex

his options were limited in defence this time because of injuries but in future, who knows? rio plus one other? i suppose dawson and richards are the two that came through the under 21s but neither play every week for their clubs. the chances are that terry and rio will carry on whoever the next manager is but i wouldn't be sorry to have seen the last of terry if someone else can step up their game.

his options were limited in defence this time because of injuries but in future, who knows? rio plus one other? i suppose dawson and richards are the two that came through the under 21s but neither play every week for their clubs. the chances are that terry and rio will carry on whoever the next manager is but i wouldn't be sorry to have seen the last of terry if someone else can step up their game.

That's my point really.

That's my point really.

it's a fair point. doesn't excuse some of capello's other mistakes though.

We played the tournament without the spine of the team. Ferdinand/Barry/Rooney.

Without Ferdinand the defence fell apart, Ledley if he had been fit may have helped, but even then your defence needs to have played together and developed some sort of understanding and relationship to stand a chance.

Barry when fit and playing well meant that the Gerard'Lampard thing worked. He wasnt match fit he didnt play well, dooming the Gerard Lampard partnership to the old frustrating pattern of failure.

Rooney was on the pitch in name only - Hesckey was a reasonable pick, the commonly held beleif was Rooney loved playing off him and the key to Englands success was Rooney having a good tournament. You cant blame Heskey for Rooney being crap, and Heskey at least had an assist for Gerards goal. I had no idea Rooney could actually play so badly and look so disinterested.

If those three had been fit and playing on form it may have lifted the rest of the team, and we might have had a decent tournament. As it was they didnt and the rest of them were never going to good enough to succeed without them.

Percentage of foreign players at our top clubs.

The numbers for Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool are 70,4%, 67,7%, 86,7% and 77,8% respectively.

Edited by Park Life

I think it's hard to argue with the squad he took given his options and the evidence going into the competition. Rooney did play well with Heskey which somewhat vindicates the useless lumps inclusion.

However, when at the competition and it became obvious to everybody that the system that worked in the qualifying was woefully short of what was required in the finals, he didn't have a second option. I'm not willing to believe that given the personnel he couldn't concoct a different system.

------------James

Johnson Terry A.N.Other A.Cole

-------------Barry

Milner ---- Lampard -----J.Cole

------------------Gerrard

-----------Rooney

And while I know I've not got any badges or top flight experience, I'm sure that that system would have provided more movement and fluidity than the inflexible 4-4-2

re: the next tournaments I'd focus on 2014, nurture the likes of Rodwell, Wilshere, Whickham, Walcott, and Hart. I think we do produce a lot of good players in this country, I just think we need to reinstall representing the Country as the ultimate goal. Unfortunately I've no idea, when the Champions League is dominant, how you would do that.

Henry Winter, spot-on as usual:

England v Germany: time for Fabio Capello to fall on his sword after poor World Cup

Time to go, grazie and arrivederci. Why? Not just because of 4-1 but because of 4-4-2.

Even after this embarrassment, even when presented with the distressing evidence, even when stepping over the stiffening corpse of England's World Cup campaign, Fabio Capello refused to acknowledge that his system was to blame. As Capello won't change his system, England must change the manager.

They think it's all over for Capello. It can't be long now. He will on Monday talk to Sir Dave Richards, the chairman of Club England, but the FA and its expensive Italian now appear locked in a loveless marriage, heading for the divorce courts and a tidy pay-off.

The man who announced England would reach the World Cup final also asked to be judged on results: draws with the United States and Algeria, victory over Slovenia and an evisceration by the Germans, bringing England's worst ever World Cup finals loss, are patently not good enough.

"When you lose a performance, the manager is criticised,'' Capello said. "We didn't play too badly in the first game against USA, making a big mistake [by Robert Green]. We played a bad game against Algeria. We played well against Slovenia.''

Refusing to accept a deserved defeat with dignity, Capello then castigated Sunday's officials for failing to spot that Frank Lampard's shot had crossed the line. His players also deserve censure for their meek surrender, particularly heavyweight names like Steven Gerrard and Wayne Rooney who punched so far below their weight, but they never looked happy with 4-4-2.

Capello does not look in the mood to go quietly. He raged against the fading of the light, disputing that he had changed tactics from the successful 4-2-3-1 formation used in qualifying to the 4-4-2 deployed so disastrously in South Africa.

"I think the players, when they play well, play all systems,'' he argued. "We have played this system always in qualification. No one asked me that question then. We always play the same system. It has not changed.

Absolutely not." A manager with such a distinguished club record as Capello can take issue with reporters' assessments but he cannot escape the concerns seeping from under the dressing-room door. The folly in not seeking the views of players was laid painfully bare on Sunday.

If Gerrard had played in his Liverpool position and Rooney in his Manchester United role up top, England would have had their two potential match-winners in tandem. Such good friends as Gerrard and Rooney love working together. At 30, Gerrard will never play in a World Cup again. His one shot at international glory has been taken away.

If England had played 4-2-3-1, they may still have lost to the vibrant Germans but it would have been worth utilising a system that coaxed the best from Gerrard and Rooney. Capello wouldn't.

He was wedded to 4-4-2 from the moment England began preparing in earnest for the World Cup. On one day in training in Irdning last month, Capello looked at the Gerrard-Rooney axis but then abandoned it, apparently still remembering the failed attempt against France in Paris in March 2008. Yet Rooney has changed, maturing into a magnificent force in the box as his goal sprees, many from crosses, proved at United.

Capello was having none of this Gerrard-Rooney talk. So England headed into the World Cup with tactics that Steve McClaren would have been berated for: 4-4-2 with Rooney and Emile Heskey. Too predictable, too prosaic.

Capello soon realised that Heskey was struggling as any resident of the Holte End could have told him. Heskey went, Jermain Defoe came in but for the goal the Tottenham Hotspur striker scored against Slovenia, he was never going to bond with Rooney. Too different.

Capello's adherence to 4-4-2 wasted Rooney, who has looked out of sorts throughout. It cannot be any lingering ankle discomfort. Capello keeps insisting Rooney is fully fit and has been devastating in training. So it must be the tactics. When Rooney's club manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, comes to major games, particularly in the Champions League, he invariably goes Rooney upfront on his own. Rooney's international manager refused.

The flaws inherent in 4-4-2 were brutally exposed here as the Germans flooded through. Gareth Barry resembled the boy who stood on the burning bridge as Mesut Özil and Bastian Schweinsteiger lit fires all around. Lampard did well going forward but struggled defensively. How England missed Owen Hargreaves, the one natural holding midfielder in the country. How England cried out for another body in there, for Gerrard to perform in a system that echoed Germany's 4-2-3-1, a formation that gives width and central numbers.

The manager made other mistakes, starting with the Capello Index which surprised some players. Here was their leader involved in a money-making online venture that judged their merits. Wise counsel at the Football Association prevailed and Capello pulled the plug from the computer.

Capello is a proud man blessed with an accomplished record in club football but he failed to listen to more people within the FA firm about the perils of guiding England at tournaments. To raised eyebrows within the building, Capello observed that he did not worry about the players' "down time", believing they would all retire to their rooms and read Proust. The conscientious FA put a library into the squad's Rustenburg base but it has hardly been used. Boredom crept in.

Knowing his players were nervous, Capello should have avoided constant debate about the mischievous ball and "the fear" that he kept saying he saw in their eyes. He looked to have fallen out of love with the job. His English was not progressing, his briefings shorter and shorter.

For all the criticism levelled at Capello, he is not responsible for the lack of goalkeepers, for the paucity of quality in certain positions and for the reality that some players are exhausted when they arrive from relentless club combat in a lad that thinks itself above a winter break.

As well as considering Capello's future, the FA must continue to address the future of the game, investing more in Sir Trevor Brooking's plans to improve the technical levels of players available to the England coach. Capello, though, must take ultimate responsibility for not using his resources better.

I think it's hard to argue with the squad he took given his options and the evidence going into the competition. Rooney did play well with Heskey which somewhat vindicates the useless lumps inclusion.

However, when at the competition and it became obvious to everybody that the system that worked in the qualifying was woefully short of what was required in the finals, he didn't have a second option. I'm not willing to believe that given the personnel he couldn't concoct a different system.

------------James

-------------Barry

-----------Rooney

And while I know I've not got any badges or top flight experience, I'm sure that that system would have provided more movement and fluidity than the inflexible 4-4-2

re: the next tournaments I'd focus on 2014, nurture the likes of Rodwell, Wilshere, Whickham, Walcott, and Hart. I think we do produce a lot of good players in this country, I just think we need to reinstall representing the Country as the ultimate goal. Unfortunately I've no idea, when the Champions League is dominant, how you would do that.

Out of interest who is he? Also add the likes of Phil Jones from Blackburn to that, he looked absolutely top drawer for a young centre half in the games he played in the season just gone. That Shelvey lad liverpool signed from CHarlton could be good too.

------------James

-------------Barry

-----------Rooney

Out of interest who is he? Also add the likes of Phil Jones from Blackburn to that, he looked absolutely top drawer for a young centre half in the games he played in the season just gone. That Shelvey lad liverpool signed from CHarlton could be good too.

Young Ipswich striker, played well this season when he featured and has caught the eyes of many bigger clubs.

Fabio just blamed it on tiredness. The German team played as many games as England did. He's got two weeks stay of execution from the FA

------------James

-------------Barry

-----------Rooney

was going to mention him, mate of mine, blackburn fan, rates him really highly 7 games for blackburn last season and 2 MOM performances in there, definitely one to watch

------------James

-------------Barry

-----------Rooney

was going to mention him, mate of mine, blackburn fan, rates him really highly 7 games for blackburn last season and 2 MOM performances in there, definitely one to watch

Aye and I think two of his best games were against Man U and Chelsea on top of that. On the subject of young centre backs it'll be interesting to see if Smalling gets many games at Man U next season with Ferdinand's increasing injuries.

There will be lots of hand wringing and investigations but at the end of the day we had a manager who froze at tournament level and as Alex says, a bunch of fannies on the field.

What do you reckon Capello did wrong though? He had very limited options in too many areas. Getting rid of the manager is just papering over the cracks imo. I think he might walk anyway like.

Exactly. Is a different manager not just going to pick the same old underachievers a Fabio did, as Mclaren did, as Sven did. Surely now it's time for a rethink...

Was talking to my friend last night about this and we both think now is a good time to bring in new blood. Personally I cannot stand Gerard, he is far too greedy, playing the whole solo man on a mission role & trying to be a hero and as mentioned earlier does not produce his club form at this level (be that as a result of positioning or the players around him, or he simply isn't good enough) but realistically who have we got coming through in central midfield (that has either the ability or the potential to play at this level)???

It is impossible to create english footballers with a good pitch brain and technical ability (time on the ball) in the PL. End of story. At international level where there is more space and variations of tempo our players look panicked and confused.

Capello is a good manager, he has the trophies and track record to prove it. Sacking him is def just papering over the cracks.

He might resign anyway, because of the way we went out and performed and if he recognises the longer term problems and figures out he is on a hiding to nothing with the press. He will get another club job.

I echo the queries about his change from 4231. He always favoured this at club level-did he try it for England?

Maybe due to Hargreaves being crocked and Carrick being as slow and having the same 1st touch as my dead gran.

Exactly. Is a different manager not just going to pick the same old underachievers a Fabio did, as Mclaren did, as Sven did. Surely now it's time for a rethink...

Was talking to my friend last night about this and we both think now is a good time to bring in new blood. Personally I cannot stand Gerard, he is far too greedy, playing the whole solo man on a mission role & trying to be a hero and as mentioned earlier does not produce his club form at this level (be that as a result of positioning or the players around him, or he simply isn't good enough) but realistically who have we got coming through in central midfield (that has either the ability or the potential to play at this level)???

It is impossible to create english footballers with a good pitch brain and technical ability (time on the ball) in the PL. End of story. At international level where there is more space and variations of tempo our players look panicked and confused.

Capello is a good manager, he has the trophies and track record to prove it. Sacking him is def just papering over the cracks.

He might resign anyway, because of the way we went out and performed and if he recognises the longer term problems and figures out he is on a hiding to nothing with the press. He will get another club job.

Aye

He won't go until he's negotiated a tidy lump sum as compensation though. This is going to cost the FA £10 million.

For whatever reason Lampard never performs for England, although he seems to escape the stick John Barnes used to get. It pains me to say this, but I actually feel sorry for Gerrard shafted out on the left. I also disagree with this no passion being banded about by sections, I thought Rooney apart the attitude was alright, they just look a little bit stifled in the system. You look at other sides who are deemed not World Class yet look confident and express themselves, Chile and Mexico for example. To be honest, I think alot of our lot look shit scared to make a mistake, bit of press and supporter pressure I reckon. Caught the back of one of the Rags today (think it was either The S*n or The Mirror) and the headline was 'Time to go Fab..and take these loser with you.' I mean, for fucks sake.

Guest The Three Lions

You know in 1990, the team all seemed like good lads. They were characters, someone like Terry Butcher, see his red and white England top against Sweden, you don't think of him, but he was 100 times more courageous than John Terry, with good banter, Peter, Gazza, Waddle good lads, proper hard men like Psycho, Bryan Robson and Steve McMahon, these cunts in this team aren't men. They are representative of what a wank money driven society we have become, they're all cunts. They are fuckin mugs, not one of them comes across as a genuinely good lad, maybe Lampard but I don't know he still seems like a self satisfied tool.

I buy in to it at every tournament I think aye they're all cunts but fuck it, we might win it if we're lucky, and my level headedness turns in to complete deluded fuckwit. Well this is the last time, fuck them, they don't care about the country, half them can't even be arsed to sing the national anthem, so why should we care what they do.

I think as well they'll have about 15 GCSE's between them the thick cunts. Whatever the tactics were, they're too fuckin thick to absorb them anyway. Apart from Lampard, how many of them do you think can speak a foreign language fluently, typical charva scum wanks, James thinks he's culture because he paints for fuck sake.

Edited by The Three Lions