Hughton after Cleverley

The Fish

Sadly, under Ashley thats the sort of club we have now become - bigger clubs with more ambition can loan us their up and coming young players for a bit of development and experience

even smaller clubs with more ambition..............

And if we can get these young prospects even on loan its good business.

how many quality footballers worthy of playing for a top premiership club have we signed in the last 18 months, to replace the 6 or 7 that were sold ?

None.

Only 1 or 2 of the ones sold were capable of playing for a top premier league club, mind :icon_lol:

Given, Owen, Milner, Bassong............all playing for clubs which qualified for europe ..............

Throw in N'Zogbia, Viduka, Martins, Beye.................only 6 or 7 more loan signings/cheap over the hill/bargain basement signings to go.

Isn't this exciting.

Look I wasn't defending the current lot and it was a bit tongue in cheek. Still sort of meant what I said though. Bassong's been ordinary (although he was an Ashley signing anyway) and Owen's been shit and perma-crocked. It was more a comment on the lack of strength of the squad anyway - although it's worse now. As for ones you say we should throw in. Not one of them is close to being good enough for a top 6 side iyam. They'd be lucky lads if they played in one and they'd soon get found out.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it wouldn't work like that. Players would be moving on a permanent basis to get playing opportunities. You wouldn't have richer teams having huge squads. In fact, it would encourage teams to bring through young players rather than lash out on ready made stars knowing that they can rely on farm teams to develop their kids.

The actual benefit we get from a Cleverly is incredibly short lived.

Agree with this too btw. Allowing inter-Premier League loans it really only benefits the bigger clubs in the long run.

Sadly, under Ashley thats the sort of club we have now become - bigger clubs with more ambition can loan us their up and coming young players for a bit of development and experience

even smaller clubs with more ambition..............

And if we can get these young prospects even on loan its good business.

how many quality footballers worthy of playing for a top premiership club have we signed in the last 18 months, to replace the 6 or 7 that were sold ?

None.

Only 1 or 2 of the ones sold were capable of playing for a top premier league club, mind :icon_lol:

Given, Owen, Milner, Bassong............all playing for clubs which qualified for europe ..............

Throw in N'Zogbia, Viduka, Martins, Beye.................only 6 or 7 more loan signings/cheap over the hill/bargain basement signings to go.

Isn't this exciting.

Look I wasn't defending the current lot and it was a bit tongue in cheek. Still sort of meant what I said though. Bassong's been ordinary (although he was an Ashley signing anyway) and Owen's been shit and perma-crocked. It was more a comment on the lack of strength of the squad anyway - although it's worse now. As for ones you say we should throw in. Not one of them is close to being good enough for a top 6 side iyam. They'd be lucky lads if they played in one and they'd soon get found out.

I know it was tongue in cheek, because its your style Alex :icon_lol: and its all about opinions, I think N'Zogbia and Beye were good enough to play for a top 6 side when they were here and we were only a couple of good signings away from being one again when Keegan was manager.

The point - and I'm sure you and most people understand, but the likes of thompers won't - is that there is nowt wrong with making the odd bargain basement signing or the odd over the hill signing on a short term basis either - but the main thing is you set standards. Most of your players must be of the calibre needed to be where you aim to be and you must pay the going rate.

This is old ground. I know that you understand this, its just repeating the same old stuff. Surely most people get it by now ? If they do, why the fuck are they defending or trying to find optimism with the current owners buying policy. It just doesn't work

FUCK MY LIFE! :icon_lol:

I hardly know what to say. What do you expect me to say when I see people defending the current policy or trying to be optimistic about it ?

I'm certainly not going to spout a load of shite just so idiots like you will agree with me.

I'm not sure. I think the loaning club benefits from having a fuller squad and a player who is eager to impress his actual manager, (or at least get himself in the shop window) without the risk of paying out on a long term contract, nor a highly paid one.

I understand it fattens the resources of the bigger clubs, but surely survival is the most important goal for a newly promoted side (those most likely to loan from the upper echelon). I disagree with mid-table teams loaning from the top table as I think that is a white flag of diffidence.

Also, wouldn't the removal of a loan system lead to players demanding higher wages from an earlier wage, because they no longer have the security of long term contracts? No manager will be able to guarantee they've signed the next Ronaldo or just the next Ricketts and now they wouldn't have the loan-market litmus test. So they'll end up offering the kid a year or so to impress. Before, they had the security of knowing that if he doesn't impact the 1st team straight away he could farm him out to a team in the same league who will blood him at a high standard, but now he's far too great a risk and it's cheaper and easier to get foreign players who'll have the experience that these kids lack?

Edited by The Fish

I'm not sure. I think the loaning club benefits from having a fuller squad and a player who is eager to impress his actual manager, (or at least get himself in the shop window) without the risk of paying out on a long term contract, nor a highly paid one.

I understand it fattens the resources of the bigger clubs, but surely survival is the most important goal for a newly promoted side (those most likely to loan from the upper echelon). I disagree with mid-table teams loaning from the top table as I think that is a white flag of diffidence.

Also, wouldn't the removal of a loan system lead to players demanding higher wages from an earlier wage, because they no longer have the security of long term contracts? No manager will be able to guarantee they've signed the next Ronaldo or just the next Ricketts and now they wouldn't have the loan-market litmus test. So they'll end up offering the kid a year or so to impress. Before, they had the security of knowing that if he doesn't impact the 1st team straight away he could farm him out to a team in the same league who will blood him at a high standard, but now he's far too great a risk and it's cheaper and easier to get foreign players who'll have the experience that these kids lack?

basically it shouldn't be allowed between premiership clubs with big resources, and the ones who exercise it on a regular basis are showing themselves to be nothing other than small time losers.

Wrong thread I know I should start a new one but I find it incredible and depressing that anyone can have any optimism with the current owner. The fact that people are pleased that we are helping Man U by developing one of their youngsters shows how Ashley has been so utterly effective at lowering and

managing peoples expectations - many will now be happy to scrape 17th position by any means possible.

Whats even more depressing (and I have been ridiculed by 90% of people on NO for saying this and no doubt it will be the same with majority on here) is that we are prepared to consider anti football measures like narrowing the pitch, targeting games and playing dull negative football to survive. I would rather play in the 4th division with my head held high than resort to that sort of shit.

The sad thing is if we do survive it will be the same the season after and the season after that, because Ashley has no ambition whatsoever. If we are very lucky we could be a Stoke City or a Blackburn in 3 years time.

So depressing when you consider we are the the 3rd biggest supported club in England and the 14th richest club in the World.

Wrong thread I know I should start a new one but I find it incredible and depressing that anyone can have any optimism with the current owner. The fact that people are pleased that we are helping Man U by developing one of their youngsters shows how Ashley has been so utterly effective at lowering and

managing peoples expectations - many will now be happy to scrape 17th position by any means possible.

Whats even more depressing (and I have been ridiculed by 90% of people on NO for saying this and no doubt it will be the same with majority on here) is that we are prepared to consider anti football measures like narrowing the pitch, targeting games and playing dull negative football to survive. I would rather play in the 4th division with my head held high than resort to that sort of shit.

The sad thing is if we do survive it will be the same the season after and the season after that, because Ashley has no ambition whatsoever. If we are very lucky we could be a Stoke City or a Blackburn in 3 years time.

So depressing when you consider we are the the 3rd biggest supported club in England and the 14th richest club in the World.

so true, and so depressing that people actually dish out flak and accusations of negativity and "hijacking threads" for telling it absolutely as it is.

I hardly know what to say. What do you expect me to say when I see people defending the current policy or trying to be optimistic about it ?

I'm certainly not going to spout a load of shite just so idiots like you will agree with me.

hehehehe...that made laugh.

as ever your point of view seems confused and hard to pin down, some might say that it is the shite you spout which precludes anyone agreeing with you.

Is there any point in following football if it is going to make you so utterly miserable?

What's wrong with trying to make the best of a shit situation? It doesn't mean you have to like Ashley or not think he is a complete fuckwit.

Fact is he owns us and it's going to be pretty shit, it also isn't going to change any time soon and those who seem to "not have their heads stuck in the sand" don't seem to be doing much about it other than not shopping in Sports Direct, which if we are being honest isn't a hardship considering the state of the place/their goods.

Cheer up huh? As said, lets just try and make the most of it because there is nothing we can do that will change it. Loaning people like this isn't ideal, under the old regime we would be signing players instead of loaning them (ignore Rossi for a moment) but that's gone now and Cleverley will improve the squad/team so there is a positive if we do get him.

These transfer windows remind me of when Freddy appointed the below average Roeder and we spent a window bringing in a prospect on loan from ManU, and rejects like Bernard and Le Sib.

At least you're not signing another player whose name ends in 'ey', and for £2m. I can't even bring myself to type his name.

:icon_lol:

Who?

as ever your point of view seems confused and hard to pin down, some might say that it is the shite you spout which precludes anyone agreeing with you.

change your telescope.

These transfer windows remind me of when Freddy appointed the below average Roeder and we spent a window bringing in a prospect on loan from ManU, and rejects like Bernard and Le Sib.

yes but didn't he also spend his transfer budget on Martins and Duff ?

4 Years ago today. Duff.

"It feels special. Playing here with Chelsea and Blackburn it was an unbelievable place to come as an away player, it’s probably the most passionate place in England to play. That is one of the many factors why I wanted to come here.

"It took a couple of days - I spoke to the gaffer and the lads here like Scott Parker, Steve Carr and Shay Given, but at the end I listened to my heart.

"Maybe there are a lot of Liverpool supporters in Ireland saying ‘Why didn’t you sign for us?’ but my heart told me to come to Newcastle United.

"I hope we can bring success. Obviously we’re not kidding ourselves, it’s a massive job ahead of us and we know we’re not going to be challenging for the Premier League this year. But I’m here for five years and hope to do great things."

shame we aren't in to buy him like. loaning players from the top clubs is a bit sad really isn't it.

Not really. It improves the depth of the squad, and means we potentially get a highly-rated player for a season.

Confirms our status as also rans though doesn't it. If he turns out to be good, he goes straight back to

man u. If the board had more ambition we would be looking to spend a bit instead of just picking up freebies and leasing the big clubs' young prospects.

There's still a bit of time left for us to invest a bit before the window shuts but if we carry onwith this strategy I think we're going to struggle.

change your telescope.

:icon_lol: ...as soon as you change your comeback.

if signing players on loan keeps us up i'll be happy, the alternative of signing no one at all doesn't seem like much an option.

i take your point that this is not what any of the fans would like to see, but as there is no chance of MA changing the way he's running the club, it may be the best of option of a bad lot.

change your telescope.

if signing players on loan keeps us up i'll be happy, the alternative of signing no one at all doesn't seem like much an option.

i take your point that this is not what any of the fans would like to see, but as there is no chance of MA changing the way he's running the club, it may be the best of option of a bad lot.

in other words, he's a shit owner and will never match the ambition, or the european qualifications and heights reached of the previous regime. Canny, I can live with that. Shame it took you so long to see it. How long do you think it will take to find another owner who will ?

Test your telescope.

You are probably at ease with it because you don't spend your hard earned cash watching it every week.

change your telescope.

in other words, he's a shit owner and will never match the ambition, or the european qualifications and heights reached of the previous regime. Canny, I can live with that. Shame it took you so long to see it. How long do you think it will take to find another owner who will ?

Test your telescope.

You are probably at ease with it because you don't spend your hard earned cash watching it every week.

not at ease with it but wtf can be done about it. has to be a silver lining and all that.

how long did it take me to see it? check through the threads, my disagreements with you have been in general chat ( I have called you on being a broken record abut the H's & S) but I generally don't pipe in this forum as I know a pittance compared to most on here.

how long for a good owner? longer than this season I think, if we stay up MA will put us back on the block after all the shit he'll take ( and deservedly) this season for being a shit owner with no ambition.

My point is that whatever miniscule steps are taken to keep us up must be better than doing nothing at all.