Kings of Leon cancel show

The Mighty Hog

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not Found

The requested URL /atoz/2010/07/kings_of_leon_cancels_st_louis_show_pigeon_bird_shit_july_23_2010_jared_followil

missouri_heat.php was not found on this server.

LEGO

Kings of Leon

​[update, Saturday, July 24, at 12:55 p.m.: Kings of Leon has issued a statement. Read below.]

Kings of Leon canceled its St. Louis show on Friday night at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater after playing just three songs. We've not officially confirmed why -- although the prevailing rumor at the moment is that bird shit is the culprit.

RFT online intern Steve Hardy, who was set to review the show for A to Z, said that things seemed fine during opening sets by the Stills and the Postelles, and at the start of KOL's set. (He noted that "the songs they played were great - there was a good solo on 'Crawl.'")

After the Nashville band finished "Taper Jean Girl," the third song of the set, it walked off stage. According to Hardy, the house lights stayed off for a short while and then went up, and then someone came to the stage and said that "due to concerns over the band's safety, we are canceling the show. Please file out in an orderly fashion." RFT photographer Erin Kinsella estimated it was "3 to 5 minutes after the stage went dark" that they made the announcement. She also noted that security was then beefed up near the stage.

Adds Hardy: "Everyone was convinced it was a hoax."

Mass confusion ensued. The crowd started booing and chanting, "Bullshit!"; Hardy said the parking lot was full of honking horns and the sound of bottles being broken.

Footage on YouTube of the crowd chanting "Refund! Refund!"

The official @rftmusic Twitter, of course, started exploding with angry messages, tips, perplexed reactions - and rumbling about "pigeons." In fact, Kings of Leon drummer Nathan Followill tweeted the following:

@doctorfollowill So sorry St. Louis. We had to bail, pigeons shitting in jareds mouth. Too unsanitary to continue.

@doctorfollowill Don't take it out on Jared, it's the fucking venues fault. You may enjoy being shit on but we don't. Sorry for all who traveled many miles.

Translation: A pigeon shit in bassist Jared Followill's mouth. Now, this seems preposterous - except Hardy also said that opening band the Postelles dedicated a song "to our bassist, who just got shat on."

Justin Burnett, 31, of Manchester, Missouri, confirmed Hardy's observation - and noted that the Stills' bassist, Oliver Corbeil, was also hit by what appeared to be bird shit. Burnett was in the front row, directly in front of Kings of Leon vocalist Caleb Followill, and said that the creature was in the rafters of the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater.

"It was so high up you couldn't see it, but it was definitely a bird," Burnett says. "And not to be gross, but when a pigeon shits, it comes out as a long line, and it's very noticeable. We thought it was water at first, and when the opening act commented on being shat on, we knew it was a bird."

After Kings of Leon walked offstage, Burnett says he saw people shining a spotlight near where the bird was in the rafters.

"We thought they were coming back onstage," he says, in reference to the band. "We were disappointed that they chose to cancel the show."

He added later: "I really wish they would've found a way to keep on playing, because they disappointed everyone there."

Unlike the situation with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell -- who fell ill due to dehydration during last Sunday's show at the same venue -- there's been no indication yet that heat was a factor in the cancellation. (Heat indexes yesterday in the area were over 100.) Burnett also stressed that he did not see bottles or other objects thrown onstage.

Just after midnight, Livenation issued the following statement:

Due to the unexpected abbreviated Kings of Leon performance at Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, Live Nation is issuing refunds on all tickets.

Purchases made at the box office and outlets, will be refunded at point of purchase starting Monday, July 26. Purchases made online and via phone will be refunded starting Monday, July 26.

Box office hours are Monday- Friday 10am-6pm and Saturday 10am- 2pm.

Followill's Twitter is private; a friend request from us is pending. The Verizon Wireless Amphitheater didn't pick up when we tried to call. Emails are in to the publicists for all three bands for comment and/or clarification.

We'll update this when we know more.

With additional reporting by Will Melton

[uPDATE, Saturday, July 24, 12:55 p.m. Here's the KOL statement, via the band's publicist:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PIGEON INFESTATION FORCES KINGS OF LEON OFFSTAGE EARLY IN ST. LOUIS

An infestation of pigeons living in the rafters of the Verizon Amphitheatre in St. Louis, MO, forced the Kings of Leon to walk offstage after three songs last night. Even though opening bands The Postelles and The Stills came offstage complaining of getting riddled with large amounts of pigeon excrement, the Kings of Leon decided to carry on regardless. The band felt it would be unfair to the fans to cancel the show at that late moment.

"I'm surprised they stayed on for as many songs as they did," said Andy Mendelsohn of Vector Management. "Jared was hit several times during the first two songs. On the third song, when he was hit in the cheek and some of it landed near his mouth, they couldn't deal any longer. It's not only disgusting -- it's a toxic health hazard. They really tried to hang in there. We want to apologize to our fans in St. Louis and will come back as soon as we can."

When the band arrived earlier in the day, the venue warned management that there had been a significant pigeon infestation problem with summer shows over the years, but they were doing all they could to fix it.

"We couldn't believe what The Postelles and The Stills looked like after their sets," said Jared Followill. "We didn't want to cancel the show, so we went for it. We tried to play. It was ridiculous."

Kings of Leon are headed to Chicago tonight to perform at the First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre as scheduled.

It's a reasonably long read for guano in the gob

• 4 months later...

The new material - and I have not heard their earlier stuff, save the odd single - consists of droning riffs in the key of E which you can shout, "HEYYYYY OHHHHHHH! MA SEX IS ON FIREEEE!" over and you would hardly tell the difference between the songs. Really awful. Saw them play a few new songs live on some telly show and they were a lethargic, uninterested live presence, and what's worse they seem to whinge a lot about being rich and famous. Drive off a cliff if it's that bad :nah:

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

they got popular after the first two albums and now put out popular shite like sex on fire

making their money i guess rather than sticking with the original sound.

they're no where near as good as The Strokes imo

Too rights. KoL have never wrote a song as good as Heart in a Cage, nevermind a song as good as Reptilia.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

Kings of Leon in keeping with most modern music are wank. "Snow Patrol" "The Killers" "Kings of Leon" OH DEAR.

• 3 weeks later...

I think a lot of peoples musical taste can often define who they are. Nearly everyone I know who like Kings of Leon is a gimp or a cunt. One of the two. Such a generic non-sense of a band who brain dead nothing to say people like because other people do. When I hear their songs I feel like doing a Derek Bird.

I think a lot of peoples musical taste can often define who they are. Nearly everyone I know who like Kings of Leon is a gimp or a cunt. One of the two. Such a generic non-sense of a band who brain dead nothing to say people like because other people do. When I hear their songs I feel like doing a Derek Bird.

Went to see The Complete Stone Roses (cover band, obviously) and The Kings of Lyon (sic) were supporting them. I was gutted we caught the last few songs of their set. My sister has a mate whose daughter (who is about 4) loves 'Your Sex is on Fire' though :huff:

Edited by alex

Went to see The Complete Stone Roses (cover band, obviously) and The Kings of Lyon (sic) were supporting them. I was gutted we caught the last few songs of their set. My sister has a mate whose daughter (who is about 4) loves 'My Sex is on Fire' though :nufc:

:huff:

Just as well she doesn't live in Thornaby.

Went to see The Complete Stone Roses (cover band, obviously) and The Kings of Lyon (sic) were supporting them. I was gutted we caught the last few songs of their set. My sister has a mate whose daughter (who is about 4) loves 'My Sex is on Fire' though :)

:huff:

Just as well she doesn't live in Thornaby.

:nufc: I know.

Sex on Fire is the shittest song I've ever heard. It depresses me that I'm going to hear it until the day I die.

Other than Lady Hear iz the neet by Mojo I'd agree. It depresses me that people like KOL full stop. You might as well get a tattoo on your head saying "I HAVE NOTHING GOING FOR ME AND NO PERSONALITY" if you like them. People are brain dead robots who are trundling through life to like that band.

Sex on Fire is the shittest song I've ever heard. It depresses me that I'm going to hear it until the day I die.

Other than Lady Hear iz the neet by Mojo I'd agree. It depresses me that people like KOL full stop. You might as well get a tattoo on your head saying "I HAVE NOTHING GOING FOR ME AND NO PERSONALITY" if you like them. People are brain dead robots who are trundling through life to like that band.

His voice, man. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me, his fucking tortured yelling. I could be getting anally shafted from Ron Jeremy and I'd make more appealing noises than that final chorus.

It was quite weird having them supporting as well since there was clearly a crowd who just gone to see them then fucked off when the main act came on. I did that with Guns and Roses at Gateshead Stadium like.