This Is England '86

Tooj

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disappointing really, probably ineveitable after the hype. For me the whole cohesiveness of the gang was implausible and the plot was horribly contrived. Some of the dialogue was awful (e.g. the cringe inducing nostalgia shared by Lol and Milky on the hospital roof). Also:

Weren't Meggy and Banjo neo nazis in the film? Going to have a hard job explaining how Milky has forgiven them.

What the fuck has happened to Smell? She looks like something from a fantasy horror.

Why was the hospital completely deserted? Couldn't they afford extras?

There was also little sense of the time period involved and criminally there was very little use of sound tracks or historical references (the WC in Mexico was barely alluded to).

On the positive side Shaun was believeable and the lava lamp scene was amusing.

In conclusion, hope this improves but not now really looking forward to the rest of it.

Roof scene was cringeworthy.. The main fella annoys me a little too. He's just 'over-the-top' sound sometimes.

Loved the show tho, in all. Well paced. Doubt it was the same script-writer tho.

Another 80's thing for me was Parishes toy department, happy days.

My gran used to drag me there and spend her "funny money", cant remember it exactly but they had their own cash tokens or something.

As pubs go, its when I first fell in love with the Broken Doll around 1989

Tippex Thinner sniffing & kids not being allowed to buy it

Breakdancing on Sat afternoons down at the Ritzy

Cowgate Roundabout getting legal graffiti

White dog shite

Betamax

Mojo's

Rubber keyed spectrum

Tape to Tape copying

5p bus into town

My gran used to drag me there and spend her "funny money", cant remember it exactly but they had their own cash tokens or something.

White dog shite

Betamax

Mojo's

Rubber keyed spectrum

Tape to Tape copying

5p bus into town

Tiffany's :lol:

I remember the big deal when the bus fare went up from 5p to 10p btw :lol:

Guest Tuco Ramirez
Anyone see Shaun on Soccer AM? They played a trick on him and jumped out to give him a shock. The little girl started crying :lol: he's 18!!!

Say nee more.

Guest Tuco Ramirez
Glue Sniffers

Class bit of grafitti I remember from when I was a youngun is 'Brunswick Glue'. :lol:

hehe I remember a lot of kids sucking on gas bottles in them days too.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

White dog shite

Betamax

Mojo's

Rubber keyed spectrum

Tape to Tape copying

5p bus into town

I remember the big deal when the bus fare went up from 5p to 10p btw :lol:

The Oxford when Rob W was a youngun

White dog shite

Betamax

Mojo's

Rubber keyed spectrum

Tape to Tape copying

5p bus into town

I remember the big deal when the bus fare went up from 5p to 10p btw :(

Aye yeah was Tiffany's, I couldnt remember so I just stuck in Ritzy :lol:

Guest Tuco Ramirez

White dog shite

Betamax

Mojo's

Rubber keyed spectrum

Tape to Tape copying

5p bus into town

I remember the big deal when the bus fare went up from 5p to 10p btw :(

Aye yeah was Tiffany's, I couldnt remember so I just stuck in Ritzy :lol:

Always hated it me, think I had one good night in there and that was cos I was on a really good pill. Was called Ikon after Ritzy, fuck knows what it is now. There was this kid at school black kid and we all went out for a sixth form piss up there, and in the upstairs seating bit it was so fuckin dark, I says where's fuckin Johnson, and someone pointed he's owa there, all I seen was this floating pair of teeth on the other side.

Never liked the Ritzy as an 'adult' / drinker like. Summed up the worst of Newcastle's nightlife for me. Went to the odd 18th there on a Thursday and I think that's the last time I was there.

Never liked the Ritzy as an 'adult' / drinker like. Summed up the worst of Newcastle's nightlife for me. Went to the odd 18th there on a Thursday and I think that's the last time I was there.

Hated it. Hated that and every incarnation of it. My first nightclub was Madisons only because it was the only one to let me in around 88/90. After that it was Walkers / Planet Earth and there my best nights remain, but that was through the 90's. I also used to get into the Mayfair from time to time late 80's, not the place for popping any pills like :lol:

Guest Tuco Ramirez

I remember Central Park next door to Ritzy/Ikon, was a pund a pint, and I used to get in when I was 15. I'd get a tenner off me mam, drink 10 pints and follow through when I got home, what a cycle. They used to have competitions in Central Park on the stage, "who's got the biggest cock", loads of daft cunts but go up and whoever had the biggest cock won the drink. Some DJ commenting on cocks. I didn't get up like....

Hated it. Hated that and every incarnation of it. My first nightclub was Madisons only because it was the only one to let me in around 88/90. After that it was Walkers / Planet Earth and there my best nights remain, but that was through the 90's. I also used to get into the Mayfair from time to time late 80's, not the place for popping any pills like :lol:

You say that but, funnily enough, the same underpass that had 'Brunswick Glue' daubed on it later also had 'Queensryche - Rocking on E'. :lol: You've got to love those metallers.

I remember Central Park next door to Ritzy/Ikon, was a pund a pint, and I used to get in when I was 15. I'd get a tenner off me mam, drink 10 pints and follow through when I got home, what a cycle. They used to have competitions in Central Park on the stage, "who's got the biggest cock", loads of daft cunts but go up and whoever had the biggest cock won the drink. Some DJ commenting on cocks. I didn't get up like....

Wonder if this is where SMO got the idea? :lol:

Speaking of which, is Trillians still there?

One bar I've never been in, and I've never been in the Duke of Northumberland too.

You're not missing much.

Speaking of which, is Trillians still there?

One bar I've never been in, and I've never been in the Duke of Northumberland too.

You're not missing much.

Never changed Trillians like. Aye still there.

I used to like 'shots as well, used to go here on the odd Sat night, mid 90's.

Not a fan of poppers like, does my head in. Or makes it feel like it wants to explode at least.

Central Park was closed down once because the lasses dancing (in swim costumes) were handling bottles as well as howking their costumes out of their cracks, various people came down with mouth infections. That said, this may have been an urban myth, but it was enough to stop me going :lol: