Players in dispute over bonuses?

Kitman

From the Daily Mail

Newcastle's six-goal destruction of Aston Villa took place against the background of a major player dispute at St James' Park over their bonus payments this season. The squad, whose negotiations have been led by senior professionals Kevin Nolan, Alan Smith and Steve Harper, are understood to want a 50 per cent rise in the £1million bonus pool they shared for winning the Championship. But the Newcastle board are not offering any increase despite their elevation to the Premier League and money that comes with it. This has led to heated disputes between management and the players which were still continuing on the day of the club's opening match against Manchester United.

The players' contracts detailing the bonus agreements remained unsigned, and hat-trick hero Andy Carroll agreeing to meet corporate guests on behalf of the club after the Villa rout was only a temporary goodwill gesture. The players are threatening not to co-operate with club requirements over personal appearances or interviews for Newcastle's TV station, website or programme until the dispute is resolved.

Remarkably, Joey Barton, normally the centre of any controversy, is described as the voice of reason.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1...l#ixzz0xTmPhiTu

Sorry like, but the contracts some of these players are on (the likes of Smith as an example), and taking into account that they only got a bonus for winning the championship cos they fucking got us relegated, I would say there's an argument for telling them to fuck off.

That's if there's any truth to the story.

Sorry like, but the contracts some of these players are on (the likes of Smith as an example), and taking into account that they only got a bonus for winning the championship cos they fucking got us relegated, I would say there's an argument for telling them to fuck off.

Bingo.

To use a Stevieism, pipe down lads.

Agree with this. Doubt it's true mind.

I'm sure most people look at the money these blokes get and think they're greedy bastards. And they are. But if they're on relatively low wages with a decent win bonus pool I actually think that's a good way to go. If this pool is for winning games then an extra 1 mill in the pot isn't a lot over the course of a season. If it's just extra money for fuck all, on top of top wages, then I have a 'go and get fucked' attitude too. The trouble is I have a pretty low opinion of the regime and I suspect they're just screwing around to save money. Given we're supposed to have great team morale, which might be key to staying up, I don't think it's that smart personally.

Edited by Kitman

I don't doubt most people won't look at the money these blokes get and not think they aren't greedy bastards.

FYP

I think :lol:

:huh: Something like that. I must drink less.

Surely the bonuses are sorted out at the start of the season? :)

Unless you leave things till the last minute then can't agree the detail. Could well just be shit stirring by the Mail but I can believe it.

Could the fact that the mail is banned from SJP and we've just had our best result in a couple of years have a bearing on why this crock of fuckin shit has appeared this week?....upset the print media and they will try to get their own back in the most childish way they can...see also the sun and Southampton FC's stance over match day photographers :)

• 3 weeks later...
Thousands of Sports Direct workers are in line for big windfalls despite England's woeful World Cup.

Staff could pocket 75% of their salaries if Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley's empire hits profits targets this year.

The one catch is they will have to stick around until 2013 to bag the bonus.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/advice/money/2010/...15875-22546894/

Wonder if the players could get us into Europe if promised 75% of their salaries as a bonus

Thousands of Sports Direct workers are in line for big windfalls despite England's woeful World Cup.

Staff could pocket 75% of their salaries if Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley's empire hits profits targets this year.

The one catch is they will have to stick around until 2013 to bag the bonus.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/advice/money/2010/...15875-22546894/

Wonder if the players could get us into Europe if promised 75% of their salaries as a bonus

I wonder how many of those SD staff will be sacked between now and 2013?