Fraser Forster Joins Celtic on Loan

Scottish Mag

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor...ights-1.1049524

Neil Lennon’s hunt for a new goalkeeper has led him to Newcastle United’s Fraser Forster.

The 22-year-old shot-stopper – tipped as a future England No.1 – has come highly recommended to the Celtic boss.

Lennon has made no secret of the fact he is looking for a new goalie and is now attempting to prise the 6ft 7in Forster away from the newly-promoted Premier League side before the end of the transfer window.

SportTimes understands the St James’ Park outfit are extremely reluctant to allow the player to leave either on a permanent basis or even on loan, having previously rebuffed interest from Burnley last month.

However, Celtic hope they will relent and allow him to move to the SPL – and the player himself admits he’d rather be farmed out than cooling his heels on the bench. “I want to be out playing first-team games and getting experience, but obviously it’s up to the manager, and I’ve got to respect his decision,” said Forster.

“If I go out on loan again, that’ll be brilliant. I just want to play football, especially after last year at Norwich.”

Lennon is ready to pull out all the stops to secure his services after receiving glowing reports about the young keeper.

Former Celtic star Paul Lambert – a Parkhead team-mate of Lennon’s – worked with Forster last season at Norwich and is a massive fan.

Forster recorded a record amount of clean sheets in League One for the Canaries and helped them win the title.

But he is likely to start the new season as the third-choice keeper at Newcastle behind Steve Harper and Tim Krul.

Celtic tried to land England’s David James last month, but he decided to sign for Bristol City.

And a move to tempt Republic of Ireland star Shay Given on loan from Manchester City has so far been rebuffed with Arsenal and Fulham also in the hunt

Celtic have made their 10th signing of the summer transfer window, landing Fraser Forster on a season long loan. The Newcastle United keeper will be paraded at a press conference on Tuesday, having agreed his move on Monday night.

Forster will now compete with Lukasz Zaluska for the number one jersey at Parkhead. Celtic manager Neil Lennon has been searching for a new goalkeeper since Artur Boruc left the club to join Fiorentina.

The 22-year old has not yet made his first-team debut for Newcastle but is very highly rated by the coaching staff. During his time at St James Park, the young keeper has worked under Celtic first team coach Alan Thompson, who coached the reserves at Newcastle before moving to Glasgow this year.

Forster has also impressed on loan spells at Stockport County and Bristol Rovers and spent last season at Norwich City, where he was first choice between the sticks as the Canaries romped to the League One title.

The 6ft 7in keeper was Celtic’s guest at their SPL match on Sunday as Lennon’s side thumped St Mirren 4-0 and, following the match, the manager confirmed Forster would be joining the club.

"He's a big boy, he's come highly recommended, I've watched him myself a couple of times,” Lennon said.

"His age, 22, is the only thing going against him because otherwise he's got all the qualities you look for in a goalkeeper.

"He's got a massive presence and he's come highly recommended from people in the game whose opinion I trust, so if the medical goes okay, we'll take him on board.

"We've needed competition in that area so he'll add to that."

Will ne good for him if he got some Europa League experience in the knock-out stages.

Guest Tuco Ramirez
He's not been signed as competition. He's been signed for depth. Purely back-up for Zaluska. If you do watch Celtic games, you won't be seeing a lot of him. :)

Zaluska's shite according to a lot of Celtic fans, and even then he's better than the other keeper Cervi. If Zaluska was that good it's surprising they never gave him the number 1 jersey, given the fact that the numbers were put in after Boruc left.

I'd be amazed if Forster plays less than 25 league games for Celtic. It's mental though, Harper is probably the worst of our three keepers yet, he'll be number 1 this season.

Living in glasgow and workin with alot of tims the feelin is they expect him to play alot and are very excited at his signing.

I just hope he doesnt leave permanently as potentially he could be a tremendous keeper for us!!

Guest Tuco Ramirez
Its crazy if he is going there to be number 2. He could have gone back to Norwich and played a full season at championship level.

He won't be number 2, absolutely nailed on. Couldn't even tell you what Lackey is basing it on. The comments from Lennon said we need the keepers position to be competitive nothing to do with coming as back up. Ridiculous to think the club or the keeper would agree to that loan on the basis he'd be on the bench regular. He played 46 games last year and won a championship medal, can't see Zaluska keeping him out.

• 3 months later...