Best starting 11?

harrynufc

I always have fun picking a starting 11 straight after transfer deadline. Here's my lineup assuming everyone is fit

4-4-2 formation

--------------------- Harper ----------------

Simpson Williamson Collocini Enrique

--------------------- Tiote ------------------

Routledge ------------------------ Gutierez

--------------------- Arfa --------------------

-----------------Nolan -- Carroll ---------

I know this will be a controversial choice but thats what id go with and here are my reasons.

Simpson instead of Perch - From what ive seen of Perch (which is not much, admittedly), simpson seems to provide a bigger threat going forward and in my opinion provides the same defensively (which is not premiership level btw).

Routledge on the right wing - I know his final ball is not up to scratch and he can disappear some games but he's the best we've got in that position. Hes also very direct and can relieve the pressure on the defense when we start getting pushed back into our own box. I dont like the idea of gutierez on the right wing and arfa on left because guti on the left has been getting better with each game and its a joy watching him link up with enrique.

Arfa as attacking midfielder - I'l be honest im not sure what to do with him plus i was beginning to warm to barton. However i do think that attacking midfield is a position that can have the biggest influence on how well the team do going forward, so why not play our 'most talented' player there, especially if he's played in that role before.

Nolan partnering Carroll -Again, this will be a controversial choice and some of you may opt to play carroll on his own with arfa or barton just behind him, but why drop one of your leading goalscorers from last season. He may be slow going forward and tracking back, but one thing he does give you is goals, and goals win you games.

Will be interesting to see what you guys think and what your line ups will be.

Edited by harrynufc

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

here goes:

Krul

Simpson - Saylor - Williamson - Enrique

Tiote

Barton

Ben Arfa - Nolan - Jonas

Carroll

Harper has looked shaky and I think he is bound for the glue factory soon. Time to see what Krul is made of.

Right backs: Should be in this order. Simpson, Raylor, Perch. I find Perch one of the most awful right backs in the prem I have seen so far, and yes, i'd rather use Raylor.

Centre backs. Williamson seems the obvious best CB at present. I have no clue who will prove to be the best of Campbell, Saylor and Colo. Though I hate Saylors pointing as much as the next man, he does score a few goals per season and Colos first season in the prem was awful, Id love for him to prove me wrong though.

No idea how good Tiote actually is, hopefully hes better than Smith. Who i dont mind having in the squad to come on in the last 10 minutes to help defend leads.

Barton has been a huge plus so far, the most pleasant surprise after Williamson for me. Guthrie is not a bad backup to have.

Wingers: From what ive seen of Ben Arfa hes mostly played winger, and as such i just switched him with Routledge who has completely failed to prove his doubters wrong so far. He seems too lightweight and just not good enough for the prem to me. Not much worse than Jonas, but Jonas does have a good understanding with enrique, and his crossing has improved somewhat. Besides they are our only 3 wingers unless you count Raylor, and im sure there wont be alot of bench-time for any of those 3.

If we are gonna play Nolan he needs to do the job he is best at. Poaching goals behind Carroll. Considering he is the captain now it seems unavoidable that he will play. And he does provide a goalscoring threat, even if everything else in his play frustrates me. (his inability to do anything but one-touch passes that surprises whoever its aimed at for one).

From what i hear of Gosling thats the sort of player he is aswell, so there is the backup for him. Atleast Hughton has given himself a lot of choices. Sometimes he can remove the Nolan role completely and play Routledge/ Ben Arfa / Jonas behind Carroll, or just put lovenkrands in instead and play big and small strikers.

Carroll should play every minute unless we lead by 3 or more goals. I worry when he is out. We looked like getting the win against wolves before we subbed Carroll and put the donkey on. I trust none of our other strikers to do his job. Though I think Ranger and Loven will be if not good, at least tolerable solutions if we want a pacy striker on in the last minutes.

Edited by nortoon

Tiote

Barton

Ben Arfa - Nolan - Jonas

Carroll

Has ben arfa ever played in that right attacking position? And even if he has i dont think thats where he'l be wanting to play. I can see houghton switching gutierez on the right but i dont think that would be the right choice (no pun intended) as he's linking well with enrique.

As far as tiote and smith are concerned, i suppose you can keep switching between the two, one suspension after another. :jesuswept:

here goes:

Krul

Simpson - Saylor - Williamson - Enrique

Tiote

Barton

Ben Arfa - Nolan - Jonas

Carroll

Harper has looked shaky and I think he is bound for the glue factory soon. Time to see what Krul is made of.

Right backs: Should be in this order. Simpson, Raylor, Perch. I find Perch one of the most awful right backs in the prem I have seen so far, and yes, i'd rather use Raylor.

Centre backs. Williamson seems the obvious best CB at present. I have no clue who will prove to be the best of Campbell, Saylor and Colo. Though I hate Saylors pointing as much as the next man, he does score a few goals per season and Colos first season in the prem was awful, Id love for him to prove me wrong though.

No idea how good Tiote actually is, hopefully hes better than Smith. Who i dont mind having in the squad to come on in the last 10 minutes to help defend leads.

Barton has been a huge plus so far, the most pleasant surprise after Williamson for me. Guthrie is not a bad backup to have.

Wingers: From what ive seen of Ben Arfa hes mostly played winger, and as such i just switched him with Routledge who has completely failed to prove his doubters wrong so far. He seems too lightweight and just not good enough for the prem to me. Not much worse than Jonas, but Jonas does have a good understanding with enrique, and his crossing has improved somewhat. Besides they are our only 3 wingers unless you count Raylor, and im sure there wont be alot of bench-time for any of those 3.

If we are gonna play Nolan he needs to do the job he is best at. Poaching goals behind Carroll. Considering he is the captain now it seems unavoidable that he will play. And he does provide a goalscoring threat, even if everything else in his play frustrates me. (his inability to do anything but one-touch passes that surprises whoever its aimed at for one).

From what i hear of Gosling thats the sort of player he is aswell, so there is the backup for him. Atleast Hughton has given himself a lot of choices. Sometimes he can remove the Nolan role completely and play Routledge/ Ben Arfa / Jonas behind Carroll, or just put lovenkrands in instead and play big and small strikers.

Carroll should play every minute unless we lead by 3 or more goals. I worry when he is out. We looked like getting the win against wolves before we subbed Carroll and put the donkey on. I trust none of our other strikers to do his job. Though I think Ranger and Loven will be if not good, at least tolerable solutions if we want a pacy striker on in the last minutes.

Pretty much the team id have minus Saylor for Sol if he pulls his finger out..

I might be tempted to try:

-------------------Krul

Saylor-------Williamson------Colo-------Enrique

Routledge--------Barton-------Tiote------Jonas

-----------Ben Arfa

----------------------Carroll

Krul because i simply think he's better than Harper.

Saylor at RB because i'm not convinced by Perch or Simpson and think Taylor can do a job there in the prem.

And i'd like to see what we'd play like with two wingers and Ben Arfa playing off Carroll or even a sort of free/floating role at home anyway, but with Tiote and Barton providing a bit of solidity in there.

-------------------Krul

-----------Ben Arfa

I'd line up the same and would look to rotate Jonas, Arfa and Routledge throughout the game similar to how Villa did with Young, Milner and Downing.

-------------------Krul

-----------Ben Arfa

:jesuswept:

Probably a bit harsh on Nolan, but I like the look of that. I'd also be tempted to see what Sol looks like if Colo fucks around too much.

-------------------Krul

Saylor-------Campbell------Colo-------Enrique

-----------Ben Arfa

With Williamson and Nolan being extremely unlucky to miss out. Just think Campbell has loads to offer us in terms of organising the defence and he would probably complement Colo more than he would Williamson (who btw I think has been brilliant for us ever since he signed). Still, cracking dilemma to have.

Tiote is the one I know nothing about but I'm assuming he is better than Smith.

-----------------------Harper------------------------

Simspon--------Sol----Colo/Williamson----Enrique

----------------Tiote------Barton/Smith-------------

--------Routledge------Ben Arfa-------Jonas-------

---------------------------Carroll---------------------

-------------------Harper

Simpson-------Williamson------Colo-------Enrique

-----------Ben Arfa

Krul because i simply think he's better than Harper.

Saylor at RB because i'm not convinced by Perch or Simpson and think Taylor can do a job there in the prem.

And i'd like to see what we'd play like with two wingers and Ben Arfa playing off Carroll or even a sort of free/floating role at home anyway, but with Tiote and Barton providing a bit of solidity in there.

more or less the same, though i'd be tempted bomb taylor for simspon to see if he can cut it at this level. guthrie for barton on last season's form. barton to keep his place if he keeps this season's form up. i'd keep harper in net too for now.

i reckon hughton will try to squeeze nolan in there somewhere too. though if everyone's fit, i agree he should be benched, as should smith.

-------------------Krul

-----------Ben Arfa

I'd line up the same and would look to rotate Jonas, Arfa and Routledge throughout the game similar to how Villa did with Young, Milner and Downing.

I like the look of this.

Only tweaks I'd make would be to bring Ranger on for Routledge after about 60 minutes of tearing my hair out.

For me (and assuming out transfered in players are all theyre cracked up to be) I'd hope theyd slot into our formation quite easily

----------------Harper

Perch Williamson Colo Enrique

----------Barton - Tiote

Routledge - Ben arfa - Jonas

-------------Carroll

Colo not saylor because I think taylors attitude stinks and I rate him and colo about the same really, williamson has had an excellent start to the season, hope he can keep it up

I had doubts about simpson as a CCC defender and raylor isnt a defender at all so perch at RB, I think he'll be alright

bartons been the best of our three cms (nolan smith being the others) so keeping him and dropping the others for tiote and barfa

Tiote

Barton

Ben Arfa - Nolan - Jonas

Carroll

Has ben arfa ever played in that right attacking position? And even if he has i dont think thats where he'l be wanting to play. I can see houghton switching gutierez on the right but i dont think that would be the right choice (no pun intended) as he's linking well with enrique.

As far as tiote and smith are concerned, i suppose you can keep switching between the two, one suspension after another. :icon_lol:

He did in the friendly versus Norway, also from the youtube videos ive watched ive seen him play right left and centre anyway :jesuswept:

I agree with Saylor might be a good choice for right back aswell.

For mine I'd have:

Krul

Simpson Taylor Coloccini Enrique

Routledge Barton Tiote Jonas

Ben Arfa

....Carroll

Has the pace and attack for us to genuinely trouble many defenses in the league.

Tiote, like many here I don't know a great deal about. I know he's toted to play a defensive midfield role, but I have a feeling that he likes to push up into attack which could be dangerous for us with our slow central defenders.

You could just about throw a blanket over Taylor, Coloccini and Williamson for me in selecting my preferred two. Williamson has been solid, and it's been such a long time out for Taylor that we don't know what we're going to get when he's back playing. Campbell could turn out to be good enough top be a starter, but we'll need to see him play first. For all I know it could be four under the blanket. Barring injuries though I hope Hughton can choose a pair and stick with them so they can develop an understanding with each other, and our other defenders. Don't know for sure who's better out of Simpson and Perch, but I feel Simpson may have the edge there. Neither inspire and sort of confidence. THought about playing Taylor there, but don't think he would be too happy to play there consistently and he's not very good on the ball, or pacy so we could miss out on the opportunities to overlap with Routledge down the right.

------------------------Harper-------------------------

---------Williamson-----Sol--------Colo-------------

Jonas---------Barton------Tiote-----------Enrique--

------------------------Nolan--------------------------

-----------------------Ben-Arfa-----------------------

----------------------Carroll--------------------------

Wont happen but wouldnt mind seeing how it worked, Jonas and Enrique in a wing back role but pushing forward as needed then Tiote/Barton can hang back. Ben Arfa in a free role supported by Nolan.

Back to reality I think it will be

-------------------------Harper------------------------

Simpson-------Sol------------Colo-----------Enrique

------------------------Tiote-----------------------------

Barton---------------Nolan--------------------Jonas-----

----------------------Ben-Arfa---------------------------

-----------------------Carroll------------------------------

I think Routladge will loose out and Barton will be out wide to accomodate Nolan, especially away games.

I'd play Barton, Tiote & Jonas in a midfield 3, Ben Arfa floating around behind Nolan and Carroll. In that formation, i'd want Perch's pace on the right as he would need to get forward to give us some width.

If we play 4-4-1-1 with Ben Arfa off Carroll, then putting Taylor behind Routledge would work for me.

I don't think Jonas can play anywhere other than the wings tbh. Although that's based on a half under Kinnear where he played through the middle. Can't remember the match but I think someone went off injured and instead of making the logical switch he shuffled about 4 players around with shambolic results. That said, I think you need a football brain to play in the middle, which he doesn't have imo.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

At home:

Krul

S Taylor

Enrique

Williamson

Campbell

Routledge

Nolan

Barton

Jonas

Ben Arfa

Carroll

Away

Krul

S Taylor

Enrique

Williamson

Campbell

Barton

Smith

Tiote

Nolan

Ben Arfa

Carroll

I don't think Jonas can play anywhere other than the wings tbh. Although that's based on a half under Kinnear where he played through the middle. Can't remember the match but I think someone went off injured and instead of making the logical switch he shuffled about 4 players around with shambolic results. That said, I think you need a football brain to play in the middle, which he doesn't have imo.

Out left in a midfield 3? With Ben Arfa playing deep off the two strikers, there is more support in central midfield, allowing Jonas to give width when needed?

Am just shoe-horning the club captain and the star signing into the same 11 tbh.

Out left in a midfield 3? With Ben Arfa playing deep off the two strikers, there is more support in central midfield, allowing Jonas to give width when needed?

Am just shoe-horning the club captain and the star signing into the same 11 tbh.

Sounds a bit lightweight in the middle to me.