Iconic moments captured in picture.

Christmas Tree

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

97665845_acb326edbe.jpg

Death of Pablo Escobar.

Just watched a documentary on him. Thought he was one hell of a man. Had everything you could ever have in one person, Kind, Aggresive, Caring, Clever, Brave but above all a true lunatic

Edited by bawan

97665845_acb326edbe.jpg

Death of Pablo Escobar.

Just watched a documentary on him. Thought he was one hell of a man. Had everything you could ever have in one person, Kind, Aggresive, Caring, Clever, Brave but above all a true lunatic

Also vicious, ruthless, psycopathic, amoral, and greedy? He certainly wasn't bulletproof, as the picture proves......

97665845_acb326edbe.jpg

Death of Pablo Escobar.

Also vicious, ruthless, psycopathic, amoral, and greedy? He certainly wasn't bulletproof, as the picture proves......

Yeah couldn't argue with you on any of those. Still done loads for the poor, more than the government was doing at the time.

97665845_acb326edbe.jpg

Death of Pablo Escobar.

Yeah couldn't argue with you on any of those. Still done loads for the poor, more than the government was doing at the time.

Guess that's why he's a folk hero. We have a bloke who hated frogs, wore tights and hung out in the woods with men. The Colombians have got Escobar, who's probably a bit cooler. It's tailor made for Rusell Crowe to have a go at playing him in a Hollywood blockbuster. He'd do a cracking Spanish accent I reckon.....

97665845_acb326edbe.jpg

Death of Pablo Escobar.

Guess that's why he's a folk hero. We have a bloke who hated frogs, wore tights and hung out in the woods with men. The Colombians have got Escobar, who's probably a bit cooler. It's tailor made for Rusell Crowe to have a go at playing him in a Hollywood blockbuster. He'd do a cracking Spanish accent I reckon.....

Too late, vincent chase did it

http://www.medellinthefilm.com/

97665845_acb326edbe.jpg

Death of Pablo Escobar.

Still reverred as a god-like figure in the Medellin province. That why it took to so long for the CIA backed/trained government troops so long to finally nail him when he was on the run - Escobar had that had a ton of safe-houses offered by willing samaritans within the Medellin community, and the Colombian police had little to go on in the way of informants. Escobar's bio [penned by his brother] is one of the most insightful looks, that i've ever read, that sheds light onto somebody who was a real enigma.

Edited by Year Zero

polar-bear-global-warming.jpg

Sad indeed.

Cos the polar bear has climbed up onto that floating bit of ice after a swim? It's not like that's where he lives and it's melted around him I'm pretty sure.

Probably a brief respite, during a bloody long swim to find a new hunting ground during the polar-cap melt season.

You do know that fishermen [and scientists who are studying their seasonal movements etc] are finding record numbers of drowned polar bears due to the above [global warming and the decreasing area of the ice cap regions], and how it's affecting the migrational distances they have to cover during the above mentioned Summer.

How far back do these 'drowned polar bear' figures go? :razz:

I'm sure some internet troll can drag up the figures :D

The point i made relates more to a wildlife a doco i saw a couple of years ago, where the amount of drowned polar bears being fished out of the water with gaffer hooks [some had been previously tagged with tracking devices] was on an alarming increase going, that's before you take into account the actual amount recovered/those that haven't ended being a snack for opportunistic predators.

97665845_acb326edbe.jpg

Death of Pablo Escobar.

"Awrite ya cant, I'm Piblo Iscobah"

"Awrite ya cant, I'm Piblo Iscobah"

:razz: Sean Connery has the right attitude to accents. Make no concession to race, place or script from the 60's onwards and play everything with his native accent. Crowe could learn from this:

Gladiator: "G'day cobber. How'd you like a sword up yer arse?"

Robin Hood: "G'day cobber. Give us yer gold or you'll get an arrow up yer arse"

Escobar: "Hola cobber. Buy me drugs or you'll get a cap up yer arse."

reichstag_flag.jpg

Red army on top of the Reichstag.

Apparently there was a huge amount of life expended just so that photo could be taken. The result of the war in Europe and the capture of Berlin was a formality but Stalin wanted the Soviet flag flying over the Reichstag by May Day. I think that photo is staged because the capture actually took place the evening before but obviously daylight shows the image better.

97665845_acb326edbe.jpg

Death of Pablo Escobar.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/indepen...thetwoescobars/

Starring Faustino Asprilla!

Edited by Kid Dynamite

• 2 weeks later...

Man-Engulfed-in-Wave-Khao-Lak.jpg

Lone man about to be swallowed by the Boxing Day Tsunami.

Hard to find a close-up shot, as the footage was originally taken off a camcorder, and later circulated among the networks. Probably for the better though. It's the facelessness of the image which makes it all the more poignant. I remember seeing this on the news, in the immediate aftermath of the tsunami and it's the one image which sticks in my mind [where the thought of 'poor bastard' enters], much like the Falling Man shot re: 9/11.

Edited by Year Zero

reichstag_flag.jpg

Red army on top of the Reichstag.

Apparently there was a huge amount of life expended just so that photo could be taken. The result of the war in Europe and the capture of Berlin was a formality but Stalin wanted the Soviet flag flying over the Reichstag by May Day. I think that photo is staged because the capture actually took place the evening before but obviously daylight shows the image better.

You're right, Alex, this picture was staged.

A true iconic image for me is the Chinese student standing in front of the tank at Tianeman (sp) Square during the protests. I wonder just how close the world was to China becoming 'free' at that moment. The question on everyone's lips as we watched was 'would the military side with the protesters' ? A truly momentous moment in time imo.

39284860.th.jpg

Edited by snakehips