Taylor new deal.

Park Life

Given what we now know about Carroll and his temper, i.e. throwing a glass (accidently) into someones face, breaking Taylors jaw, and assaulting his ex, I am not so sure we should be so quick to judge Taylor the transgressor here!

Its only mindless thugs that resort to violence in the face of verbal (or any) provocation, and no matter what Taylor said he did not deserve to be physically attacked.

Personally I would love to see Taylor stay, because if he leaves it will be to one of the big boys and make no mistake about that, because they all know how good he is, even if we don't!

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given what we now know about Carroll and his temper, i.e. throwing a glass (accidently) into someones face, breaking Taylors jaw, and assaulting his ex, I am not so sure we should be so quick to judge Taylor the transgressor here!

Its only mindless thugs that resort to violence in the face of verbal (or any) provocation, and no matter what Taylor said he did not deserve to be physically attacked.

Personally I would love to see Taylor stay, because if he leaves it will be to one of the big boys and make no mistake about that, because they all know how good he is, even if we don't!

Taylor's average at his very best tbf.

Nobody would be daft enough to say he deserved lamping off Carroll and most would assume Carroll was bang out of order (as per usual) and theres nee excuse at all. It does sort of typify an essential difference between them both though; you can tell Carroll knows that words mean nowt and it's actions that count. Taylor on the other hand falls way short in his actions (on the pitch) and constantly tries to compensate for it by talking a good game (very often after a defeat), playing the local boy card and being last man on the pitch all the while. It only serves to aggravate because the fans know all that counts for sweet FA when push comes to shove.

I doubt he's off to one of the 'big boys', since the only team vaguely interested in the summer were Everton, despite it being obvious he was available and his only having 12 months left on his contract. He'd be woefully exposed in a top 4 team as well.

The big boys know he is available for nowt come next summer, so why would they spend money on him now, thats why Everton were after him last summer because come next January/summer, they know they won't be able to compete for him.

Come January the big boys will all be at the contract table offering him deals, but by then it will be too late for us to keep him, as his head will be well and truly turned by the offers being made to him. I know we will regret letting him go.

Some of you have very short memories as he was far and away our best defender in the Championship last season and we had conceded very few goals until he got injured.

Oh and don't start banging on about how he only looked good because it was the championship, because we had those doubts about both Colo and Willo and they carried that form forward to the EPL, so no reason why taylor can't.

The big boys know he is available for nowt come next summer, so why would they spend money on him now, thats why Everton were after him last summer because come next January/summer, they know they won't be able to compete for him.

Come January the big boys will all be at the contract table offering him deals, but by then it will be too late for us to keep him, as his head will be well and truly turned by the offers being made to him. I know we will regret letting him go.

Some of you have very short memories as he was far and away our best defender in the Championship last season and we had conceded very few goals until he got injured.

Oh and don't start banging on about how he only looked good because it was the championship, because we had those doubts about both Colo and Willo and they carried that form forward to the EPL, so no reason why taylor can't.

Better than Enrique last season? ;):D:) What absolute bollocks. Colo was better too imo and he wasn't missed after Williamson took his place. I think you're the one with the memory issues tbh.

Edited by alex

To me it seems that most people fall into one of two camps with Taylor. Those who love him and think he's going to end up captaining England and those who can't stand him and think he's massively overrated and not a good player at all.

Personally I'm very much inbetween those two points of view. I think he is at the minute a good premiership defender but certainly not up there with the very best. I don't think he has any of Coloccini's class and I'm pretty sure he'll never reach the standards Campbell reached in his prime. But I think he can improve to be a very solid player and if he reaches his potential, not far away from the national team (based on the likes of Lescott and Jagielka making the last starting eleven).

I don't think we should allow him to hold us to ransom over a new deal because he isn't that good but I'd certainly be disapointed to see him go for a pittance (given his age would we still be due something for him if he stayed til the end of his contract?) and I'm not concerned about having to play a partnership of him and Sol on Sunday.

Don't get me wrong, if he's picked and he has a job to do for us then he'll have my full backing when he's on the pitch.

Your broader point about one of the big boys signing him though...tbh I'm more than comfortable with the idea of him starting at the heart of Man U or Chelsea's defence as it'd be proof positive that PL standards had slipped in recent years and we had a chance of getting amongst the top teams again.

To me it seems that most people fall into one of two camps with Taylor. Those who love him and think he's going to end up captaining England and those who can't stand him and think he's massively overrated and not a good player at all.

Personally I'm very much inbetween those two points of view. I think he is at the minute a good premiership defender but certainly not up there with the very best. I don't think he has any of Coloccini's class and I'm pretty sure he'll never reach the standards Campbell reached in his prime. But I think he can improve to be a very solid player and if he reaches his potential, not far away from the national team (based on the likes of Lescott and Jagielka making the last starting eleven).

I don't think we should allow him to hold us to ransom over a new deal because he isn't that good but I'd certainly be disapointed to see him go for a pittance (given his age would we still be due something for him if he stayed til the end of his contract?) and I'm not concerned about having to play a partnership of him and Sol on Sunday.

Fair comment DK. As I've said before he impressed me the year we went down (mainly at RB after Xmas).

Taylor should def be kept. You don't sell your best players, only players like Leon Best, James Perch, Ryan Taylor etc although just now we can hardly afford to sell anybody.

Playing in a better side with a more winning mentality, is what he Steven Taylor needs.

I think people mock him because he plays to the crowd, but so what ?

Selling your best players is for small clubs like Wigan....oh wait.

He's massively over rated by most who mostly hide behind his "potential". He is 24 and as good as he's going to get, which is too slow, too head strong and has an annoying habit of leaning into crosses with his arm!

We have Colo, Williamson, Sol and Kadar, so he simply isn't needed. Even if he was needed, I'd prefer we sold him and went for Wheater.

Also, Hughton has proven what he can do in the transfer market so any additional funds from surplus players are welcome.

Taylor should def be kept. You don't sell your best players, only players like Leon Best, James Perch, Ryan Taylor etc although just now we can hardly afford to sell anybody.

Playing in a better side with a more winning mentality, is what he Steven Taylor needs.

People agree with not selling our best players.

However some people disagree with Taylor being one of our best players.

I see that. However my take is why sell Taylor when Perch and Ryan Taylor to name 2 should def be sold. We need any half decent player more than any fee they would bring in.

Edited by LeazesMag

I think we should try to keep him aslong as its not much more than what hes on now. Come next year Cambell might retire, if we lose taylor we will be left with colo/williamson/kadar. Meaning another cb needs to be brought in. Id be quite happy with those 3 + taylor and focusing our meagre transfer funds on attacking players or a proper right back.

He isnt amazing but he isnt bad either, I think he probably is a bit better than Williamson to be honest. Who seemed to be punching above his fee at the start of the season, but has looked alot weaker and championshipesque in recent games. He isnt my favourite player by any means, and his pointing can infuriate me, however he does usually put in a few goals per season which is very useful. While Id probably be happy to take a fee of 3-4m for him knowing it would be spent, I cant see it happening when he will be free in 6 months, and he is far too good to let go for free.

I really don't think Taylor is as good as some are claiming. He lacks the level of (footballing) intelligence ad technique required to be a really good centre half. He will always do well against physical sides with less quality, hence his success in the Championship, but against the top strikers with technical ability he will always struggle.

Having said that he is definitly worth trying to keep because he is probably btter than Williamson, and definitely useful against the Stokes and Blackburns of the Premier League.

Are you sure you're not BrazilianAlf?

If Taylor was really that good you'd be calling him Taylo.

I see that. However my take is why sell Taylor when Perch and Ryan Taylor to name 2 should def be sold. We need any half decent player more than any fee they would bring in.

Agreed although it's academic if he won't sign a new contract. He isn't worth a massive new contract either. Admittedly the two you mentioned aren't good enough.

He's massively over rated by most who mostly hide behind his "potential". He is 24 and as good as he's going to get, which is too slow, too head strong and has an annoying habit of leaning into crosses with his arm!

We have Colo, Williamson, Sol and Kadar, so he simply isn't needed. Even if he was needed, I'd prefer we sold him and went for Wheater.

Also, Hughton has proven what he can do in the transfer market so any additional funds from surplus players are welcome.

Taylor’s first team development has been hindered by managerial upheaval. He had about a season under SBR, before Souness, Gideon and Fat Sam guided his career. Followed by the Keegan/JFK/Shearer turmoil. Say what you like about his chest thumping but during out relegation season he was one a very small number of players at the club who didn’t throw in the towel at Christmas, the same can't be said of Colo.

Marcel Desailly he is not, but he’s decent enough top flight centre half. Can’t see him staying after the club essentially condoned Carroll busting his jaw / lots of supporters slagged him off / being transfer listed.