Players you're glad we missed out on

acrossthepond

Was thinking about this the other day watching Everton. Very, very glad we missed out on Beckford, he looks a total flop and the very definition of a one-trick pony. Same with Woodgate under KK - thought it was a sure thing but he went to Spurs and I think we dodged another bullet with that transfer.

Rolling back the years a bit (sad to think of SBR's time that way) I think Jeffers is the obvious choice.

Others I've missed?

John Salako. "Too faw nawf" apparently. I'm sure he enjoyed the bright lights of Coventry.

That wasn't it, he failed his medical man, and we got Ginola instead. Good call though.

In hindsight was quite pleased we missed out on Neil Ruddock who only had one good season at the dippers before he turned in to a right fat bastard. Plus what he did to Peter ;)

Another one was Sergey Yuran, he turned us down in the summer of 93, cos his wage demands were excessive, would've been a club record fee of about £2m too. We got Beardsley instead, and Yuran ended up 12 month later at Millwall and a total flop.

Fucking hell man, Yuran. Now that is a good call. ;) Ended up being a fat bastard Brolin-style, if I remember rightly?

Lots of similarities, he was his country's best player, came to England and turned in to an overweight buffoon.

I remember the headline in the paper "£2M RED RUSSIAN JETS IN" and I remember thinking fuck me 2 million quid. Three years later we were paying £15m.

Another one that springs to mind which the younguns and people who started going when we were in the Premiership will remember, probably the most obvious one to be fair, is Francis Jeffers. We would never have signed Bellamy if we got him. Last I heard he was on trial at some Aussie club.

John Salako. "Too faw nawf" apparently. I'm sure he enjoyed the bright lights of Coventry.

That wasn't it, he failed his medical man, and we got Ginola instead. Good call though.

In hindsight was quite pleased we missed out on Neil Ruddock who only had one good season at the dippers before he turned in to a right fat bastard. Plus what he did to Peter ;)

.......... and had the cheek to go to the press claiming the move failed to materialize because he didn't like the city, as Meenzer implied.

Edited by Year Zero

James beattie

Julio arca

I'd have had him like to be fair, he was great in his first few seasons, that 1-1 draw when Andy O'Brien scored he was totally immense.

There was a player called Tommy Wright (not the keeper) from Leicester, who chose Boro over Newcastle in 92 because he thought they were a bigger club! pmsl Bigger amount of paedo's in their support mebeez. Was a lot of money then about 800k, and if we'd have signed him it's likely we wouldn't have got Rob Lee, and he was a right flop for Boro.

Ian Ormondroyd. A big useless donkey who was shite everywhere he went. Think Peter Crouch but totally wank, and looked like Gareth off "The Office". I remember Anal's headline "THE BIG O" pmsl, anyway we didn't get him and got David Kelly instead.

Francis Jeffers

Bowdewijn Zenden

If we had got these two clowns we'd never have had Bellamy and Robert.

Didn't we miss out on Lovenkrands to Rangers - then got Robert as well?

Think he was the season before perhaps. Was about to post the same as Smogster. Just shows you need a bit of luck, even if you're as good as SBR. I think Zenden was a canny player mind. Although there's no way he'd have been as productive as Robert.